Custom Map #1208: stage one, orbit.

Started by AutoPost, June 17, 2012, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1208: stage one, orbit.

Author: HK

Desc:
satge one of the invasion. fly past this off line orbital defence cannon and into atmo to rescue prisners.

bla3

You asked for feedback, so here goes.

Usually I do not like 'free space' maps, but there are some exceptions, and this was definitely one of them.

-What I really liked: unlimited creeper supply. I love love love creating a crazy amount of AC makers. Every time I was ready to add another beacon to extend my area of activity, I would add more makers. When I got to the bottom I built a ridiculous amount of makers.

- The drones didn't come too early. I didn't realize there were going to be drones, but fortunately I was able to move a maker to rain down AC to kill them before they got anywhere too important. (They did get to the 'top screen' though, I was late in noticing them. After I knew there were drones I built blasters, but I already had reactors up and running to let me build 2 blasters at a time. (I had been building AC emitters.)

- building space was somewhat limited initially, but not horrible. A lot of maps give you a billion blocks to excavate and build reactors and a .8+ research cluster, so you're sitting on like 70 energy and .7 or better research before you even engage the enemy. This map is definitely a relaxed pace, but it does force you to 'move forward' to build up your infrastructure, even if 'moving forward' is pretty easy.

- The other part that I like was seeing my creeper pool at the bottom. The entire trip down there, leapfrogging beacons, I was thinking "I'm gonna have a use for you!" and I got down there and built repulsors to kick it back up and killed the hard knots of creeper pretty easily. I didn't go right for the capsule, in fact - I stuck around to knock out more of the creeper. My time was horrible, but I enjoyed the map, which is more important than times to me. I'm about to play the other one now, I hope it's as fun.

Bottom line - This map was not hard at all, but it WAS fun. You can go for hard, or fun, or hard and fun, but only the combinations with 'fun' in them work. =P

JmfR

Quote from: bla3 on June 17, 2012, 07:37:31 PM
You asked for feedback, so here goes.

Usually I do not like 'free space' maps, but there are some exceptions, and this was definitely one of them.

-What I really liked: unlimited creeper supply. I love love love creating a crazy amount of AC makers. Every time I was ready to add another beacon to extend my area of activity, I would add more makers. When I got to the bottom I built a ridiculous amount of makers.

- The drones didn't come too early. I didn't realize there were going to be drones, but fortunately I was able to move a maker to rain down AC to kill them before they got anywhere too important. (They did get to the 'top screen' though, I was late in noticing them. After I knew there were drones I built blasters, but I already had reactors up and running to let me build 2 blasters at a time. (I had been building AC emitters.)

Thanks bla3 saved Me from typing all this I enjoyed this map and I also love over building

- building space was somewhat limited initially, but not horrible. A lot of maps give you a billion blocks to excavate and build reactors and a .8+ research cluster, so you're sitting on like 70 energy and .7 or better research before you even engage the enemy. This map is definitely a relaxed pace, but it does force you to 'move forward' to build up your infrastructure, even if 'moving forward' is pretty easy.

- The other part that I like was seeing my creeper pool at the bottom. The entire trip down there, leapfrogging beacons, I was thinking "I'm gonna have a use for you!" and I got down there and built repulsors to kick it back up and killed the hard knots of creeper pretty easily. I didn't go right for the capsule, in fact - I stuck around to knock out more of the creeper. My time was horrible, but I enjoyed the map, which is more important than times to me. I'm about to play the other one now, I hope it's as fun.

Bottom line - This map was not hard at all, but it WAS fun. You can go for hard, or fun, or hard and fun, but only the combinations with 'fun' in them work. =P

thanks for allowing Me to be lazy You pretty much said it

teknotiss

well said bla3, i agree
i haven't seen a "creeperoid" map for ages, this was a really fun to play map.
make some more maps dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

HighKking

wow thanks guys.
and i made the build space to be hard to get on purpose. it was part of the challenge. as you said easy and fun. if i hand not have made it that way it would be TOO easy. thus no fun.

the only prob i truly had was the way the creeper pooled around the rocks. i want it more or less like they did in the demo map where it would pool around.

but it was a blast to make and i am so happy you guys like.

i have one coming up in 4 or so hours called Alamo so let it hold you over wile i "master" my creeper movement for the 3rd (but maby not final?) stage of this story.

but after i make it i will for sure make another one like this.

and be sure to tell you if it has drones or not right up front ;)

Helper

The fun games (for me) have multiple approaches/techniques and multiple threats.
I thought you did an excellent job and will play your other one next.

Well done and please keep up the good work.

Kithros

If you don't kill any more creeper than you need to you don't really need a lot of energy production - you can use bursts on the creeper makers you start with to make room for beacons, and you only need a small handful of blasters to advance on the emitter (and use some makers positioned behind the emitter bursting over time while the nullifier goes off).

I made a bit of a mistake in that I didn't notice the entombed creeper on the way to the crystal, but luckily it didn't impact my time too too much still, though there was some room for improvement (I got to the bottom a bit before I got the crystal).

Fisherck

Great map; sadly I didn't realize until I had reached the capsule that this map was aquisition and not obliteration. Oh well, maybe I'll make another run later...;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

teknotiss

Quote from: HighKking on June 17, 2012, 09:12:29 PM

i have one coming up in 4 or so hours called Alamo so let it hold you over wile i "master" my creeper movement for the 3rd (but maby not final?) stage of this story.

is this the same author that asked for help regarding fields?

if so "http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=8996.0" or "http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=7786.0".
anything else just make a post of your question in the custom map discussion forum and someone will know how to help.
if i'm confused, forget about this post (thought the author of alamo was "null", just remembered that a user could have multiple accounts)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

HighKking

Helper: thanks man comments like that make me wana keep them coming. it means a lot to me that people like the maps i make.

Kithros: the crystal on the right actually isnt needed to win. i made it where the capsule is the only thing needed to win. but its nice to see someone ealse saw the idea to use the space behind the emitter. i made that field to keep the creeper from getting to get to the capsule. it wasnt till i got to the bottom that even i saw to use it that way.

Fisherck: i am sorry you didnt see it. and sadly there isnt much i can do to say other wise. but i know the title screen says what kinda map it is and i tend to go off that. im happy to hear you like it other wise :)

teknotiss: yes it is. i didnt notice that the author field was blank. and thank you so much this is what i need.

Kithros

Quote from: HighKking on June 18, 2012, 12:25:29 PM
Helper: thanks man comments like that make me wana keep them coming. it means a lot to me that people like the maps i make.

Kithros: the crystal on the right actually isnt needed to win. i made it where the capsule is the only thing needed to win. but its nice to see someone ealse saw the idea to use the space behind the emitter. i made that field to keep the creeper from getting to get to the capsule. it wasnt till i got to the bottom that even i saw to use it that way.

Fisherck: i am sorry you didnt see it. and sadly there isnt much i can do to say other wise. but i know the title screen says what kinda map it is and i tend to go off that. im happy to hear you like it other wise :)

teknotiss: yes it is. i didnt notice that the author field was blank. and thank you so much this is what i need.
Yeah I know the crystal isn't strictly necessary - but it gives 2000 score so unless taking it reduces your time by like 10 minutes or something you're better off taking it.

HighKking

Quote from: Kithros on June 18, 2012, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: HighKking on June 18, 2012, 12:25:29 PM

Yeah I know the crystal isn't strictly necessary - but it gives 2000 score so unless taking it reduces your time by like 10 minutes or something you're better off taking it.

how on earth did you beat it in 5 min!?!

Kithros

More or less I used the creeper makers you start with to burst creeper to make just enough room for beacons, and ignored basically all the creeper everywhere on the map except for the small amount on the way to the capsule + crystal.

Spoiler
[close]
I got distracted and lost one of the creeper makers towards the end (the one that should have been near the crystal), but it was close enough to the end that I didn't bother loading to save it. Some of my reactors also got destroyed towards the end because I frankly didn't care about defending them that close to the end

ea3401

A map finished by K. doesn't look like a battle field. It looks like a Zen garden.

HighKking

stage 3 will come in 24 hrs
thanks for playing!