Custom Map #957: A New Beginning - The Sand God

Started by AutoPost, March 17, 2012, 02:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #957: A New Beginning - The Sand God

Author: jjjj

Desc:
Hey guys. This is a map that is the first piece for a story. I will decide whether to continue with this series based on the feedback I get. After you have completed this map, if you can, let me know if you like it. Tell me what was good about it, what you didn't like. Please leave comments and let me know. I put a huge amount of effort into this map, and I just do not have the time to continue this series if I don't get any positive feedback. Good luck, have fun, and god bless.

peter

Not sure if I could say I like this map, do not hate it, but once you reach the end play it is just a case of waiting for the creeper to very slowly get destroyed.  The limits on energy slow this map down more than it needs, especially with the rest of the map being very simple indeed to complete.

With more energy, and more blasters, you could have thrown in some drones to liven things up, or to slow the progress speed.  But as it stands this is not a map I will be rushing back to complete again.

A good try though.  With some more thought you can create a good series based on this map I think.

fitz

I love this map. Yes the last section is tough, with a lot of creeper and fields that seem to have a mind of their own but what counts for me is originality which this map certainly is.

Thanks for all your hard work

FR-seratna

Ayant vue les nombreux votes négatifs, je me suis lancé à mon tour pour tester cette carte et me faire mon propre avis.

Et ... je n'ai vraiment pas détestée, j'ai même voté pour. Dans la description tu explique que tu aimerais un retour sur ta carte je vais donc citer les point négatif, le reste étant du coup positif pour moi, c'est mon point de vue évidemment, ce n'est pas une critique parce que au final j'ai pris du plaisir à finir cette carte et que je vais peu être même la recommencer pour améliorer mon score.

Donc que je n'ai pas trop apprécier sur la carte est la première partie un peu longue et peu utile à mon avis, peu être réduire la tailles des salles, rajouter des drones.
La seconde chose qui ma dérangé c'est le faites de ne pas pouvoir révéler la partie sud de la carte, je ne suis pas contre la limitation de beacon, mais je n'aime pas ne pas avoir accès à toute la carte selon ma volonté.

Mais sinon j'ai vraiment le style et je suis impatient de jouer sur tes prochaines cartes.

Google Traduction :

Having seen the many negative votes, I started my turn to test the card and make my own opinion.

And ... I really hated not, I even voted for. In the description you said that you would like a return on your map so I'll quote the downside, the remainder being positive move for me, it's obviously my perspective, this is not a criticism because in the end I enjoyed myself to finish this card and I will not be the same again to improve my score.

So I did not really appreciate the card is the first part a bit long and not very useful in my opinion, be somewhat reduced sizes of rooms, adding drones.
The second thing that bothered me is do not be able to reveal the southern part of the map, I'm not against the limit beacon, but I do not like not having access to the full board according to my will .

But if I really style and I'm looking forward to playing on your next card.

Enjoy
Seratna a French player !!

FR-seratna

sorry ereur to clic

EmdSh

1000M creeper and an energy-output of 6.45? That does not compute!

FR-seratna

Ce n'est pas si enorme que ca 100M de creeper, surtout qu'ils sont répartis sur une petite zone, avec les repulsor il est possible de sortir le creeper et avoir une densité plus faible pour gagner du temps.

This is not so huge that ca 100M creeper, especially since they are spread over a small area, with Repulsor it is possible to remove the creeper and have a lower density to save time.

toastkid

I'd agree with peter - the last bit is unnecessarily long, unless i was missing something: i got to the end chamber quickly then just had to leave it running and go off and do something else while my anti-creeper wore down the sand god.  Is there actually a way to finish more quickly?  I can see that the best time is 81 mins which kind of suggests there isn't (my time was 93 mins).  Long maps where you're constantly doing something are fine, long maps where it's a tedious slog aren't and i'm afraid this falls into the latter category.  It's an interesting idea though to have unlimited (or at least lots of) anti creeper and to have to mainly finish the level with anti creeper rather than the usual weapons - i think you could explore that idea some more.  Thanks for the map, anyway :)

Shimizu

I did like the concept of this, but I think allowing the player a TEENSY bit more energy would be good, limiting it in this way just makes gameplay slow and with the 'infinite anticreep generator' I don't think it makes the map anymore challenging, just more tedious.
Meow?

teknotiss

i liked it but a few (15) more reactors would have been nice.
i might have used a limit on the blasters and then the player could have used all that free ac more efficiently.
7/10 for the design but playability was a bit dull for me.
i think i took over 1hr 30mins and with the energy to run 4 or so more repulsors i could have easily shaved off 30 mins
make more maps! ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

2b3o4o

A good map maker will be willing to improve on his/her mistakes. I suggest you resume this position if you want to make a good map; with practice and patience, you will improve. :)

koker93

This was a fun map.  I like maps that give unlimited Anti creeper to use against the creeper.  That said it would have been a lot more fun without the limitation on the number of makers you could make.  In the future make the end of the board stronger, but give us no limits so we can build up and attack.  Corvus Temple is a great example of this.  Energy production is limited by space to build somewhat, but there is an almost limitless amount of AC to use. 

Laithaldien

I know this topic is kinda old, but since most comments complain about how long this map takes ...

There's a small timeframe during which you can build shields to prevent the creeper from flowing back, allowing your launchers to do way more damage.
Once you have several layers of shields, you can even use them to "guide" the creeper to flow back using a certain square, eventually this will lead to AC conversion.
Someone with better skill than me will probably beat my score easily though :>