Custom Map #1277: Banana Man

Started by AutoPost, July 12, 2012, 09:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1277: Banana Man

Author: Bongo

Desc:
* Lots of different rooms, each with a different strategy to defeat. *** HINTS *** * Don't bother attacking Banana Man directly. You must find the source of his dance dance power to defeat him. * Make a Micro Rift quick, Banana Man doesn't share the dance floor for long. * Use Shields, Rifts, and lots of Conversion Bombs to defeat the lowest right room.

Cavemaniac

And the nominations for 'Most Epic Use of a Banana in a Computer Game' are...

;)
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Ebon Heart

Very cool map, I love the dancing field. :D The fields in general are just really cool, good job. Ebon_Heart approves.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

KernoX

Funny map  :)    ... For me, however, probably the hardest I've ever played.

bla3

Agreed. I can't figure out how to get below the banana man, since he recharges so quickly. I've built probably 100 AC factories and placed them all around him and in the passage below him (they quickly destroy the 'bars' that flash through in progression) but I can't get any packets down there.

Which is really starting to make this map 100% frustration and 0% enjoyment. A shame, since it looked really promising.

edit - Ah, I should have built a wormhole at the beginning of the map. Oops.

Ebon Heart

Wow. The author even said at the beginning, "don't attack the banana man directly." it does nothing. You have to destroy the big black square of creeper at the bottom, that's where the dancing banana pulls from. I'm tempted to do a picture walkthrough of this map just for lack of anything better to do. (nevermind the 9-10 other custom maps I have to have finished by August 8th...)

bla3

Quote from: Ebon Heart on July 13, 2012, 09:45:28 PM
Wow. The author even said at the beginning, "don't attack the banana man directly." it does nothing. You have to destroy the big black square of creeper at the bottom, that's where the dancing banana pulls from. I'm tempted to do a picture walkthrough of this map just for lack of anything better to do. (nevermind the 9-10 other custom maps I have to have finished by August 8th...)

Ask yourself how often the preliminary conversations at the beginning of maps are annoying, and then you'll know why I almost always skip them.

Bongo

Quote from: bla3 on July 13, 2012, 09:59:49 PM
Ask yourself how often the preliminary conversations at the beginning of maps are annoying, and then you'll know why I almost always skip them.

Yea, I hate those starter conversations that do nothing to help you defeat the level and just talk about some pointless plot ;). That's why I always put the hints in the map info that shows up in the little window.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: bla3 on July 13, 2012, 09:59:49 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on July 13, 2012, 09:45:28 PM

Desc:
* Lots of different rooms, each with a different strategy to defeat. *** HINTS *** * Don't bother attacking Banana Man directly. You must find the source of his dance dance power to defeat him. * Make a Micro Rift quick, Banana Man doesn't share the dance floor for long. * Use Shields, Rifts, and lots of Conversion Bombs to defeat the lowest right room.

Pointless starting conversation... yeah. :P And I'm sorry if I want to know why I'm doing what I'm doing in a map. A motive makes it feel more real. Granted, this map is made to be completely random. lol. I'm doing a playthrough with screenshots now.

bla3

That wasn't meant to be personal, but was meant more as a "Most of them annoy me so I just don't read them any more."

Also, the 'little window' descriptions are usually useless too, so I don't bother with those. It actually feels weird to find useless info in either now, so much so that I just don't check.

Anyway, new reason I don't like this map: The dark beam room. I tried chaining conversion bombs, I tried stacking repulsors, I tried all sorts of things, but it became apparent that I killed that emitter just north of it too early (the black side channel is a mortar magnet) so I'm just done with this map. Not starting it over again, can't get the dark beam with any reasonable amount of effort, and the swirly room below-right of the banana man looks like it would be either impossible or a serious pain in the ass without a dark beam, so... done.

The emitters in the dark beam chamber are just too strong. Not very happy I discovered this after 90 minutes of play. (combined attempts.)

Others are apparently liking the map, and good for them, but for me, it goes beyond 'play' into 'chore'.

Con Badger

Quote from: bla3 on July 13, 2012, 11:20:24 PM
That wasn't meant to be personal, but was meant more as a "Most of them annoy me so I just don't read them any more."

Also, the 'little window' descriptions are usually useless too, so I don't bother with those. It actually feels weird to find useless info in either now, so much so that I just don't check.

Anyway, new reason I don't like this map: The dark beam room. I tried chaining conversion bombs, I tried stacking repulsors, I tried all sorts of things, but it became apparent that I killed that emitter just north of it too early (the black side channel is a mortar magnet) so I'm just done with this map. Not starting it over again, can't get the dark beam with any reasonable amount of effort, and the swirly room below-right of the banana man looks like it would be either impossible or a serious pain in the ass without a dark beam, so... done.

The emitters in the dark beam chamber are just too strong. Not very happy I discovered this after 90 minutes of play. (combined attempts.)

Others are apparently liking the map, and good for them, but for me, it goes beyond 'play' into 'chore'.
I solved this by
Spoiler
making about 100 conversion bombs (no exaggeration) and flooding them into the room and crowding them against the emitters as they blew up. I also had the dark beam and mirror flagged for collection. Eventually enough energy packets got in that the two things got collected.
It stumped me for a while, and that was my "rage" plan, which worked, so.
[close]

Helper

Very ingenious map.
That dang-blasted lower right room took about a night and a day to figure out, but will give it another go when my eyes quit bleeding.

Definite thumb's up - thank you.

bla3

Quote from: Con Badger on July 14, 2012, 05:43:03 AM

I solved this by
Spoiler
making about 100 conversion bombs (no exaggeration) and flooding them into the room and crowding them against the emitters as they blew up. I also had the dark beam and mirror flagged for collection. Eventually enough energy packets got in that the two things got collected.
It stumped me for a while, and that was my "rage" plan, which worked, so.
[close]

I tried this with fewer conversion bombs (probably spent 30 in total) but when I saw how many it was going to take, I just said "DONE." and exited.

Helper

I would sure like to know how some others got that bottom right room.
I tried every weapon in the inventory and nothing was enough to overcome the Emitters.

Spoiler
It took me 40 (4 sets of 10) to get the DB and Mirror.
The key was the rows of Shields holding the Creeper down low.
I would start the detonation of the bottom 5 C Bombs, wait one second, then start the second 5.
It took 4 sets of 10 to finally capture them (and a lot of saves/re-starts because my timing was off.
[close]

ea3401

Quote from: Helper on July 14, 2012, 02:16:54 PM
I would sure like to know how some others got that bottom right room.
I tried every weapon in the inventory and nothing was enough to overcome the Emitters.

Strength lies in calmness.
Spoiler
Disarm you launchers an wait until creeper becomes black. Then fire one c-bomb, build another row of shields and wait again. When creeper density is at 5000k, fire a second c-bomb, arm the launchers and nullify the emitters.
[close]