Custom Map #8899: Immortal Emitters Try 9. By: nathanaelps

Started by AutoPost, September 22, 2020, 12:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8899: Immortal Emitters Try 9

Author: nathanaelps
Size: 119x119

Desc:
This time with Altitude Multipliers. Each step=10 altitude. (Deep creep is so much more fluid, I prefer it.) Immortal emitters and volcanoes! Nullify emitters and then pump packets in to keep them quiet, and flood the volcanoes with AC To keep them from some really egregious creeper flood! Thanks to Helper, TrickyPlayer, D0m0nik. I swear I read and re-read all the ideas and direction (and encouragement!) that you've been giving.

nathanaelps

Thoughts:

Terrain generation is coming around. (I think! I guess you guys are the judges of all that!) I had a bug in it that mirrored around a 45 degree angle... Oops. Made an interesting almost-mirrored map.

Volcanoes have their own image now.

Altitude amplification. Not sure how other people do it, I sure as anything wish that CRPL worked with callbacks! I'd use so much less compute for stuff like this. I'm having to run over every cell and override the terrain... After I tried that I checked, and it looks like that's the norm... er, best way that we can with the tools that we have?

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if we have any way to generate packets? I have a couple of ideas for making a "packet factory", but nothing that's elegant *at all*. Thoughts?

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: nathanaelps on September 22, 2020, 01:19:10 PM

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if we have any way to generate packets? I have a couple of ideas for making a "packet factory", but nothing that's elegant *at all*.

The simplest thing I could think of is using a guppy base that lands on a nearby area, and adding ammo to the guppy's pad using a script.

Altitude amplification. Not sure how other people do it, I sure as anything wish that CRPL worked with callbacks! I'd use so much less compute for stuff like this. I'm having to run over every cell and override the terrain... After I tried that I checked, and it looks like that's the norm... er, best way that we can with the tools that we have?

Yeah, I check on every cell and set the override equal to X times the terrain's normal height. I usually set the delay to 5 seconds for that script.

Volcanoes have their own image now.

Yay, finally I can see which are spore towers and which things are going to create tons of creeper!

Terrain generation is coming around. (I think! I guess you guys are the judges of all that!) I had a bug in it that mirrored around a 45 degree angle... Oops. Made an interesting almost-mirrored map.

45 degree mirror? Interesting bug, you should save that script in case you want to use it in a future level.

By the way, you got that terrain amplification from me or someone else, or did you make one yourself? I just want to know.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

nathanaelps

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on September 23, 2020, 01:30:25 AM

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if we have any way to generate packets? I have a couple of ideas for making a "packet factory", but nothing that's elegant *at all*.

The simplest thing I could think of is using a guppy base that lands on a nearby area, and adding ammo to the guppy's pad using a script.

Yeah, that's my inelegant idea. Stretch a different picture over the whole thing, call it a "factory complex", maybe at a z index of -65 or something so the guppy is hidden (would that work? Idk.) Put a collector here or there to allow it to stay connected even when the "guppy" was "in the air"... Oof. the more I think about it the more "quotes" get "placed" in the "idea".

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on September 23, 2020, 01:30:25 AM

Yeah, I check on every cell and set the override equal to X times the terrain's normal height. I usually set the delay to 5 seconds for that script.
By the way, you got that terrain amplification from me or someone else, or did you make one yourself? I just want to know.

I built it, and then cross-referenced some other scripts. I'm using a snippet that I put together for some other tools, which works on one area of the map each tick and rolls through the whole thing. This allows me to get all sections of the map processed without dumping all the compute into a single tick, so I'm actually able to run through the entire map twice a second without choking. I could process even smaller portions of the map each tick and it'd take a little longer, but I don't think it's real meaningful--I'm running a low-end laptop and I don't notice a slowdown.

I'm starting to collect my scripts on my website, you're welcome to borrow or hack, just attribute me if it's... you know, borrowed from my scripts: theSpuff.com

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: nathanaelps on September 24, 2020, 11:00:12 AM
I'm starting to collect my scripts on my website, you're welcome to borrow or hack, just attribute me if it's... you know, borrowed from my scripts:

Feel free to add any of my scripts to the list, though I have to say my scripts are usually a lot shorter than the ones already part of that list. Just add a comment that says the script was originally made by me and I don't care what you do with it.

Just don't forget that scripts made in a box-shaped level might have the X and Y values reversed, so don't use these before fixing them. Aside from that, some scripts may refer to others in the same level because I don't want a single script to be over a page long.

You don't have to add any scripts I made if you don't feel like you will ever use them. In the end, you decide.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

D0m0nik

Just got round to this map, really enjoyed it, the gameplay is challenging and there is a lot going on in a small map, 10/10. That 8min time is insane, would love to know the stragey.

hypnotic22

started to play the map to see how close to zerostageĀ“s time i could get, ended up whit 8:05.  ;D and it was super nice map !
i didn't expect to do better as i suspected him, because of map 8723, zerostageĀ“s time of 57.6 may be impossible, you need to use 2 nullifer and map limit is 1.  :o
then again there might be a way to bug the game and place 2 nullifer, who knows.

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 25, 2020, 04:33:17 AM
That 8min time is insane, would love to know the stragey.

if you are interested i use the KC discord a lot or i can just post some screenshots.

well back to the map editor

D0m0nik

Yeah a couple of screenshots would be great. I may be doing these the hard way, 20 beams to control the spores from one volcano is a drain.

hypnotic22

beams  :o yer i see that is the hard way i think. i do belive one word (   Bertha ) and a few screenshots is all you need, i did not play optimal so sub 8 min is possible ill say

D0m0nik

Cool! Can you flip the volcanoes with AC alone or do you still need to nulify and then connect them to the target? How come your volcanoes are not emitting spores? On my map there seem to be about 20 a second from each one.

hypnotic22

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 27, 2020, 01:33:41 PM
Can you flip the volcanoes with AC alone

yes, you can see on the new screenshot it is red after it got hit by AC, dont know what the nullifier dose to it and no need to connect them

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 27, 2020, 01:33:41 PM
How come your volcanoes are not emitting spores? On my map there seem to be about 20 a second from each one.

when i load the map all the spores are invisible.

D0m0nik

Cheers for sharing, my strategy was very wrong and very power intensive!

nathanaelps

You guys are really amazing. Thanks for playing and enjoying these, and your times are so friggin crazy. You're inspiring! Seriously.