Small Map Strategies

Started by jerako, February 10, 2016, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerako

I think I'm clearly missing something in my strategy, because tiny maps like "Aliancaster" in Tormented Zone, or "Moireport" in Prospector zone just crush me every time, and very quickly. I can't seem to work out how to even get stable enough to get a foothold enough to take down one spore tower/emitter.

I'm looking for more general advice on what you should and shouldn't do on such small maps. But if you can show that advice with a specific map of about that size, that would be most welcome, too.

J

• It's not bad to have some early collectors destroyed, build as many as you can before you build other things
  • Don't build defenses until you really need them, build reactors before that time
  • If there's an AoO near, get it and launch it to buy yourself some time
  • Sometimes building closer to the creeper can help if the ground is higher (mortars are more effective there)
  • Terps can help for that too, but cost a lot of energy
  • Be prepared for a long fight to keep your tiny base alive
  • Save often and try many different things

jerako

Thank you very much for the assist, J, but it still just isn't working for me. I've been trying for a long time.

Is there any chance I can get a Moireport video? That might help me truly understand. Google give me less than nothing.

Karsten75

Quote from: J on February 10, 2016, 02:34:09 PM
It's not bad to have some early collectors destroyed, build as many as you can before you build other things

I'd say "do the math". The early emitters have to at least repay a positive sum to the energy inventory - return more than the 5 units they cost to build.

Quote from: jerako on March 09, 2016, 02:25:13 AM
Thank you very much for the assist, J, but it still just isn't working for me. I've been trying for a long time.

Is there any chance I can get a Moireport video? That might help me truly understand. Google give me less than nothing.

What system number is Moireport attached to?

jerako

It's the prospector zone's s100_182. One of the first systems you can get to.

Karsten75

I'm sorry, I was going to do it. I recorded the whole video (17 minutes) and then when I tried to get it in shape with VirtualBud I got an error and I just don't want to go down that stupid rabbit hole again.

If you want to agree a time/date, I'll do a Steam playthrough and broadcast. You can watch there.