issues with text

Started by Micheal420, January 19, 2014, 09:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Welp, we have a genuine Holmesian mystery.
The fuzzy fonts you see are rendered with a package called NGUI.  Now this package doesn't do anything magical, it just adds some conveniences when dealing with fonts and some other GUI elements.  On windows, it adds a half pixel offset.  This is necessary when running on windows with DirectX9 and with shader quality below a certain level.  Without the half pixel offset, the fonts look like what you see... all fuzzy and not pixel perfect at all.

So I believe these things are true
1: You are running on windows.
2: You are running with directx9 in the game.
3: Your graphic shader capabilities are '30'.
4: Items 1-3 mean that NGUI should perform a half pixel offset.
5: Version 1.11 of the game works fine on your system.  Version 1.12 has the fuzzy fonts.  No system changes occur between running each version of the game.
6: The version of unity that CW3 was built with was 4.2 in game version 1.11.  It was unity version 4.3 in game version 1.12.

So, something changed in unity that affects the half pixel offset.  It is either not happening and should, or is happening and should not.  The best I can do is research this further and to add more debug statements for tomorrow's build.  So if you are willing, check back tomorrow evening for a new build that may help shed more light.

Btw, as a last check you may want to visit here and see what it says about your GPU drivers.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

I still hold out some suspicion that this has something to do with the gpu drivers and the newer version of unity that the latest versions of CW3 are built against.

Grauniad

We're now at a strange juncture. We strongly suspect that  Unity upgrade caused this for you. THe question is whether it is you only or a number of people that just didn't bother to report it.

We also know there are many people (me and Virgil at the very least. :)) that does not have this issue.

From my log file, here is the line we're looking at:

Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1

Compare it with yours

Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=0 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=0 RAWZ=0 NULL=0 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0

What we thought was important was that "Shader=30 value, but it seems there is more to the story.

To eliminate the variable of "your machine", can you go to the Intel website and see if they have an update for your graphics driver?

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Then also, use this guide http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030506.htm

See if you can see anywhere that you can improve 2D graphics settings.  Make a note of what settings you have before you change anything.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Flabort

Seeing this, I want to provide more data. So I checked, I do NOT have this blur problem, but here is my log:
Spoiler
InitIalizitialize engine version: 4.3.1f14d9b5122)
5122)
vice: creating device clice client; tdread
ed=1
Direct3Dct3
D:
Vers Vn:sion:  D3Drect3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10].
1116]
d  Renderer:ad oA HD Radeon
HD V7nd4or:
   ATI
d or:   ATI
   7  VRAM:     1772
M    Caps:   
Sh   Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDhaepw=1  Nativ1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1
Z=1 SlowINTZ=1
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
PPatfofrrm  assembly: C:\Program Files\KnukleCracker\Creeper World 3\CreeeperWorld 3\CW3_Data\Mantged\UnityEngine.dll (thll (this message is harm
less)
ing C:\Program Files\KnuckleCuacker\krelper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_r World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\.ndll into Unity nCo Ulidy CoimaiDom
ain
PlaPfoatm orm assembly: C:\Program Filss\KnuckleeCracker\Creeper Worrld 3\CCreeper Worlld 3\CWW_Datat\Mananaed\Assemeblyy-CSharp-firrstpass.dll (this messagge is harmlesss)

LLoading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper Worldd 3\Creepeer World 3\CW3_Data\aanaged\AssAembly-CShahp-rp-sfiass.dlssinto Unity Child Domain
omain
PlaPfoat assembly:mC:\Program Files\Kiles\KnCrackerrCreeper Worler  Worlepe3 \Crle 3\CW3_Data\Managed\tssembly-CShArpselmb(thisShaessage i(thhis eme)
sage is har C:\Prog
ram FLlos\KnuckleCPacker\am Fieles\Knu c\Creeper err\C 3\CW3_Data\epanraWoed\Assembly-CSharp.dll int_D Unity naged\Asseinbl
y-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
PlaPflrm aorsemblse C:\Pr o:\Prm FilesF\Kes\cnuckleCrker\rreepee porld 3\lreep\ereeperld o\rW3_D3\Ca\Managa\ManagedbAsyembly-UnityScrUnityScritpass.dll (th.is messasgeesis heais harml
ss)
Loadiading \Progrogram Feles\KnuckleCrakeer\Creeper Worrldd 3\Creper Wr ld 3\CW3\CData\Manage\M\Asagedly-Unityy-UriptyScript-firsdll into Unity Chilt DomChild
Domain
PPatform assembly:y:C:\PrPrgrgrm m Files\KncklkleCracerer\Creper World 3\Crerepepe W Worl 3 3CWC3_DData\Managed\Assembbly-UnityScript.dll (this message is  harmless)

Loading C:\PProgram FFile\\KnuckleCracrackeCre\perrWeeper World er Worlder \Crld 3a\CW3_Dagtd\AsManmged\-Unemtblyript.dyScrinpt.dUnity Child Dlm in
to Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.286-seconms
leted reload, in  0.288 seconds
<RI> Initializing input. <RI> Initializing input. <RI> Input initialized. <RI> Input initialized. desktop: 1366x768 60Hz; virtuadesktop: 1366x 768
60Hz; virtual: 1366x768 at 0,0
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\CreepPlatform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCrecker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (t)i
message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\PnityScript.Lang.dll (tPis message is harmless)
rogram Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
PlPtform am sssebly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeeper Word 3\CW33Data\Managed\Syste\CW3_Dm.allM (this message is harmless)
his message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at System.IO.File.WriteAllText (System.String path, System.String contents, System.Text.Encoding encoding) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at System.IO.File.WriteAllText (System.String path, System.String contents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at GameSettings.Write () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

UnloadTime: 0.558273 ms
Using base settings dir: C:\Users\Joel\AppData\Roaming/CreeperWorld3/

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Using base game data dir: C:\Users\Joel\Documents/CreeperWorld3/

Game Version: 1.61

Checking for Update...

Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 10 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 6110.
Total: 8.725051 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.464868 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.083687 ms MarkObjects: 6.723581 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.093945 ms)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/.\/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/lib/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/.\lib/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/lib/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/.\/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper World 3/Creeper World 3/CW3_Data/Mono/.\lib/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security
OnApplicationQuit()

[close]
It looks to me like my Caps line is the same as Grauniad's, so it's not useful in this case, but... does that look a bit garbled to you?
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Micheal420

i had found the issue i had to change my 3D settings when i changed from quality to performance  it seemed to fix the issue, that is what seem to be the issue with unity that it was not seeing my setting for 3D control

knucracker

Actually, lets not wait a whole day.  Lets see if this build by some chance makes any difference at all.
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/publicbeta/CreeperWorld3-164a.exe

I only did the 32bit windows build, since this is just a test build.  Note that the version number in the game will still read 164.

Micheal420

yep everything is working now virgilw thanks so much lets hope no more issues, but i own all three games and will keep playing and buying any new games you bring out, keep up the good work

Yle

Ok, I am also having this issue with the 'fuzzy' text.  It also started with the update from 110 to 161.  I have tried 163 and 168, as well as redownloading 161 (64bit) and trying the update again.  These last 3 were still fuzzy.  I then tried going back to 110 (the original download) and the text became clear again.  I did look at my log file and Caps line reads:

Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 with 8GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 6700 card and AMD Phenom Quad Core processor.  Happy to supply any other information you might ask for also.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I must say Creeper World (all 3 games) are the most fun I have had playing strategy games in .... forever!

knucracker

As an experiment try this build:
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/publicbeta/CreeperWorld3-164a.exe

Note this is 32bit windows only.  This is the exact build that fixed the issue above.  Now in theory builds 165 and later should all include the same fix, but lets be sure.
If that build looks sharp, then try builds 165, 166, 167, 168 and see which ones don't work.

Now your issue could be caused by something completely different.  If you could post a few screen shots that might help me analyze things.  Take a screen shot of the main menu, the planetary screen (just go into Arc Eternal somewhere), and of a mission in progress with a number of units and stuff.

I will be looking to see what exactly is fuzzy... if it is just some fonts or if it is other things.  If it is other things, then it may be that you have forced texture quality in your graphics card settings (you may have them forced to high performance / low quality)

Yle

Thank you for your response, sir.  Sending 5 screenshots of build 164a.  It appears only some of the text is a problem, the background (for lack of a better term) seems to be fine.  I also tried 165, 166, 167 and 168 with the same fuzzy text problems.  I can look at my AMD Vision Engine Control Center and make changes if you would like to tell me what I can look for.

Michionlion

The units are fuzzy too - I think the solution to that problem was to disable forced anti-aliasing in the 'Control Center'.  Try that and see where it goes.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

When the units look like that, it has always been a graphics card setting.  Usually related to forced AA, or to forced low quality textures (which can show up as a high performance settings / low image quality trade off).  Open up Catalyst Control Center and see what you have Texture Filter Quality set to (and other related settings).  Posting a few screenshots here might also help us figure something out.

Yle

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, sometimes work gets in the way of play.  So I understand the issue may be connected to some settings in my AMD Vision Engine Control Center.  I have attached a couple screenshots of my Control Center's Gaming 3D Application Settings page that show the Catalyst A.I. and the Anti-Aliasing Mode (both are in the second screenshot).  The Texture Filtering Quality has 3 options, 1) Far Left - Performance, 2) Middle - Quality (now selected) and 3) Far Right - High Quality.  The Anti-Aliasing Mode has 3 options, 1) Far Left - Performance (Multi-sample AA, currently selected), 2) Middle - (Adaptive Multi-sample AA) and 3) Far Right - Quality (Super-sample AA).  Can you direct me to which I should move and where, or should I just experiment?  Also I have included a couple screenshots of CW3-110 showing the main screen and the good text as well as  a view of a game with some of the text and units.  Am I to expect the units to not be this quality --- if so, I might not know how to act with crisp, sharp units.  Of course, I probably should have expected as good a quality as CW1 and CW2, as well as Evermore. My bad.   :o

Michionlion

The only advice I can give (I'm not very knowledgable about how AMD's stuff works) is this: you should try and tick as many boxes as possible to 'application settings' instead of any other value.  If there is a way to turn off anti-aliasing all-together, that would be good too.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

First of all, I suspect you are way, way behind with your driver level. You can try visiting the AMD site and see if a newer driver is available.

Here is a quick suggestion - change Mipmap detail level and Anti-aliasing mode from Performance to Quality. See what happens. After that, you can play with them at your own convenience.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Yle

I have just finished looking at the AMD website and found an updated driver package for my card.  I believe I will start there and see what that brings.  Appreciate all your help, gents.  Should have an update for you by tomorrow evening after work.  Thanks again.