The not-so-official Hints and Tips topic

Started by Georg, January 01, 2014, 04:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: Grayzzur on January 03, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: Ringo on January 03, 2014, 12:12:29 AM
Quote from: Nephthys on January 01, 2014, 07:18:32 PM
Quote from: Georg on January 01, 2014, 04:27:07 PM

Keep in mind that the Sprayer will load & hold 50 units of AC before it starts sending excess back to the Orbital for reprocessing.

What version of the game are you using? I have never saw this and have made maps that only have an anti emitter on them and put sprayers to collect the AC and once they got full (100 AC ammo) they didn't sent AC to the orbital?
1.50, Colonial Space beta. It's been available since the start, I believe. Do you have the "Dispatch Excess AC" checkbox on Sprayer units? That makes it send back everything over half to the command nodes. It does have to be connected to the network for that to work, however.

If it's in a location that can't be connected directly, you can use an Ore Guppy - but you must build the Ore Guppy in the remote location where the ore is being collected by the Sprayer (or remote mine), then send it to a location on the command node's network. That can be done by sending a regular Guppy to the remote location to build the Ore Guppy (and remote mine if there's ore). You will also need to build a collector or relay so the Sprayer can connect to the Ore Guppy.

Yeah i normmally use both settings but never seen it go to my HQ either in packet form or in my HQs ore hold.

Maybe its cause i am using 1.04 because i have not had to time to update it.

Michionlion

That feature has been in since sprayers were first added, back in Alpha.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Nephthys

Quote from: Ringo on January 03, 2014, 04:20:24 PM

Keep in mind that the Sprayer will load & hold 50 units of AC before it starts sending excess back to the Orbital for reprocessing.

What version of the game are you using? I have never saw this and have made maps that only have an anti emitter on them and put sprayers to collect the AC and once they got full (100 AC ammo) they didn't sent AC to the orbital?
1.50, Colonial Space beta. It's been available since the start, I believe. Do you have the "Dispatch Excess AC" checkbox on Sprayer units? That makes it send back everything over half to the command nodes. It does have to be connected to the network for that to work, however.

Yeah i normally use both settings but never seen it go to my HQ either in packet form or in my HQs ore hold.

Maybe its cause i am using 1.04 because i have not had to time to update it.

This may be obvious, but you have to increase storage level via the Forge if the default level of 200 has already been reached. In other words, if the silo is full you cannot add more corn unless you make it bigger.  :) 

Grayzzur

Quote from: Nephthys on January 03, 2014, 04:53:31 PM
This may be obvious, but you have to increase storage level via the Forge if the default level of 200 has already been reached. In other words, if the silo is full you cannot add more corn unless you make it bigger.  :) 
...or eat some of the corn!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

NNR_Alex

Don't underestimate the sprayers or bombers on lower amounts of creeper.  Sprayers also only require energy to build them, but none to fire them.

Ringo

If my ore hold is emety in the 1st place like on the maps i have made that only have a AC emitter?

But like i said i am using a old verion because i have not had the time to update it yet so yeah.

Freeze weapons

After getting up save it.

Build a few big bad brethas.
A guppy.
Upgrade build speed/packet speed a bit.
Set targets of the big bad brethas around a big emitter/inhibtor.
Wait for the big bad brethas to get to the targets.
Wait for them to recharge.
Send the guppy.
Wait just before it lands.
Fire the freeze then the big bad brethas.
Build nuiffer.
Win map.

Clean0nion

Quote from: Ringo on January 06, 2014, 11:09:24 AM

If my ore hold is emety in the 1st place like on the maps i have made that only have a AC emitter?

But like i said i am using a old verion because i have not had the time to update it yet so yeah.

Freeze weapons

A guppy.
Send the guppy.
Build nuiffer.
Win map.
...which is why I always try to disable berthae in my maps.
And please, sort out those quotes!

pawel345

Freeze weapons

A guppy.
Send the guppy.
Build nuiffer.
Win map.

Actually the order should be a bit different.
You need to fire the Bertha before the guppy is in place and BEFORE the freeze weapon. And fire the freeze weapon 3 sec before the bertha shot hits. As the time for the shot to reach it's target is often longer then the animation for the freeze.

Ringo

Quote from: pawel345 on January 06, 2014, 12:39:33 PM
Freeze weapons

A guppy.
Send the guppy.
Build nuiffer.
Win map.

Actually the order should be a bit different.
You need to fire the Bertha before the guppy is in place and BEFORE the freeze weapon. And fire the freeze weapon 3 sec before the bertha shot hits. As the time for the shot to reach it's target is often longer then the animation for the freeze.

True i left out a bit.
Normally i fire the freeze then the berthas just has the guppy stops and began its landing.

Godsbrother

Be aggressive

Building as much resources as possible before engaging is important.   But don't forget that creeper is building up while you're doing it.  An extra couple minutes at the beginning can cost you 10 fold later
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

pawel345

And to specify the above tip:

Gain control of some choke points early on. Sometimes a single well placed PC can keep the creeper out of a large part of terrain.

4xC

One beam should be able to kill 2 spores with a full ammo reserve.
C,C,C,C

mykael

However the power drain of fully recharging 2-3 beams will likely drive you into energy depletion, potentially allowing your ground units to be overrun.  Building more beams allows them to destroy the spores while individually using only part of their power supplies and this seems to place a lot less stress on your power grid when recharging them than having to fully recharge just a couple of them.  No idea why - might be the second and third beams to hit the same spore do more damage or some such.

Relli

Quote from: mykael on January 15, 2014, 01:32:48 AM
However the power drain of fully recharging 2-3 beams will likely drive you into energy depletion, potentially allowing your ground units to be overrun.  Building more beams allows them to destroy the spores while individually using only part of their power supplies and this seems to place a lot less stress on your power grid when recharging them than having to fully recharge just a couple of them.  No idea why - might be the second and third beams to hit the same spore do more damage or some such.
That's odd, I would have expected the opposite. The more beams that fire in a round, the more your CN has to charge at once, like when you try to build 10 collectors as soon as your CN lands. I thought I had seen it happen that way before, but I was never paying the strictest attention to it, so I guess it could still be that. I'm gonna try this out. I recommend someone else does as well, for fair results.

Edit: My tests were inconclusive, simply because I'm terrible at tests. Sorry all.

Clean0nion

If it's charging one beam, it can only do that at certain speed. But if it's charging thirty just a little bit each, sure, it'll fall into deficit, but it'll get the job done quicker.