What is your favorite tiny detail in CW3?

Started by Nephthys, December 16, 2013, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephthys

It is clear that a lot of blood, sweat & tears went into the creation of CW3.

But I think a lot of Love went in, too.

Love is in the details.

And after a 10+ page thread of MORE things we want, I thought it might be nice to say what we already appreciate.

1)  For example, not only do the Bombers have shadows, the bombs themselves have shadows. Detail. Love of the game  :)   ♥

2)  The way Orbitals emit blue steam when they are working hard receiving ore.

I have more. But what are yours? What is your favorite teeny detail that was lovingly included? Care to share & show V. & his Team some love?

Clean0nion

3. Spores move in a curve and their shadows change size depending on their distance from the ground.

(and CNs only emit blue steam when they are receiving ore)

Kharnellius

The sounds effects.  I feel the various different sounds of the game are just top notch.  The of sound of the Bertha firing and the shell hitting...so satisfying!

Clean0nion

The way the network goes red when there is energy deficit.

Grauniad

Quote from: Clean0nion on December 16, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
3. Spores move in a curve and their shadows change size depending on their distance from the ground.

In early versions of the game, the Beams factored z-axis (height) in when targeting Spores. This meant that a beam in the middle of the map might not have had the vertical reach to shoot down spores and that some spores actually managed to arc over Beam Towers.

Virgil felt it was too complicated to explain and the feature was removed. :(
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

slayer

I love the way there are multiple indicators of various unit status:

• The energy surplus and ore surplus bars on the CN itself.
  • The network changing color as you approach/go into energy deficit.
  • The warning sounds coupled with visual warnings, such as, a spore attack.

And overall, the amazing level of polish on the look and feel of the units, terrain, planets, star systems and backgrounds.

Oh yeah, planet orbits, and the asteroid field orbiting the DMD Sun on the Origin page.

I could go on and on.  In fact, I think I did  ;D.

AWESOME GAME....AGAIN!!

Slayer

Lord_Farin

The heating barrels of Cannons and Snipers.

And, most importantly, all the little things that players don't even notice, but whose absence or misimplementation would cause an avalanche of complaints. Only in the most obscure and rare scenarios have people been able to come up with problems/bugs during main (non-CRPL) gameplay.

Countless games have been abandoned because those were too much to bear with. CW3 steers well clear of them, and it's a remarkable and laudable achievement!
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

pawel345

The way the ship flies from orbit to orbit and between systems :P

Clean0nion

Grayzzur

And the spore itself has shadow.. not on the ground, but the spinning spore's shading. I find that cool because these things aren't actually 3d, they're just sprite images.

The way spore towers and emitters grow during their build phase. All the little pulsing effects on the units that make them feel alive.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Nephthys

(and CNs only emit blue steam when they are receiving ore)

Thanks for the clarification. I realized I wasn't completely sure on the when/why of the blue steam after I posted. Naturally.   ::)

Clean0nion

There's also the way the terrain changes itself to add fancy diagonals and such, which does make the game look a lot nicer, but sometimes it can get in the way of detail and knowing where you are able to place a unit.

Nephthys

I also like the way Bertha makes her turns. Slowly & ponderously, you can sense her great size & weight as she hones in on her target. And there is the color change when she is auto vs. chosen.

Color change also on Pulse Cannons when set to Prioritize Digitalis vs. Creeper. Can't remember what they look like when set for Runners. Don't use that setting much over in the Easy Zone where I can be found.  :)

Cavemaniac

My first 'wow' moment was when I first saw the Command Nodes drop from orbit.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Nephthys on December 17, 2013, 05:22:19 AM
Color change also on Pulse Cannons when set to Prioritize Digitalis vs. Creeper. Can't remember what they look like when set for Runners. Don't use that setting much over in the Easy Zone where I can be found.  :)
Bright green.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker