How early (or late) do you build your Forge?

Started by RockyRaccoon, October 11, 2013, 08:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyRaccoon

Now, the obvious answer is "it depends" and if that is your answer, maybe elaborate on what it depends on.

I will hold off until until I have a totem. Timing a forge build to coincide with the first totem hook-up seems like a good time, unless the totems are easily accessible.

It is a significant energy sink to build, so I think if it is done to early it will limit your expansion.

Any other thoughts or tips?

Harkler

Unless I really need to put all my packets into reactors/weapons, I build it as soon as I can connect to a totem.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Harkler on October 11, 2013, 08:13:42 PM
Unless I really need to put all my packets into reactors/weapons, I build it as soon as I can connect to a totem.

Yep - timing is everything.

You can cripple your energy economy by 'wasting' energy building a forge too early - the packets could have gone to collectors and reactors to create more energy.

Still, 'as early as possible' is still my strategy as it can take a long time to get enough aether to do anything useful/fun - so an early start is a good idea.

Helpful Hint: Always check a map to see if it actually has any totems! Some DMD maps and custom maps simply don't, so don't take it for granted. And some maps are so brief that there's no point constructing a forge - the packets and time can be better spent elsewhere.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Clean0nion

Quote from: RockyRaccoon on October 11, 2013, 08:08:24 PM
Now, the obvious answer is "it depends" and if that is your answer, maybe elaborate on what it depends on.

I will hold off until until I have a totem. Timing a forge build to coincide with the first totem hook-up seems like a good time, unless the totems are easily accessible.

It is a significant energy sink to build, so I think if it is done to early it will limit your expansion.

Any other thoughts or tips?

Generally, never. If I'm really struggling, I think "Wow I'm terrible... have I missed something?" then I remember to use the forge. So I don't use it unless I remember to.

iycgtptyarvg

Pretty much every level I play crucially depends on me getting the first level or 2 of the 'Energy efficiency' upgrade as soon as possible. I generally upgrade this to level 3 or 4, unless the level allows for a lot of room to build.
Secondly, I focus on 'Fire rate' and then 'Fire range' (2 or 3 levels or so).
Thirdly, I go for the 'Packet speed'.
Anything after that is just gravy and not important to finishing the level (I often forget about the forge and then see 500 or 1000 unused points).

teknotiss

what i choose to use the forge for is too variable for this thread, but when i build it isn't, generally i don't start the forg til i have about 15/20 reactors.
when it's building i want it to not interfere with other construction.
also i'm careful on maps with a ton of totems, the combined usage of 25 totems + forge can cripple even a powerful energy network  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Ceraus

I build the Forge as soon as I get enough extra energy unless the mission either requires early weapons, lacks space for the Collector network, has no Aether (or has some, but too far) or offers opportunity for cheese.

I always start with a few levels of energy efficiency depending on how much my Collectors bring in. Then fire range, fire rate, packet speed and build speed. Then some ore efficiency if the mission allows. And if the mission has fluctuating energy depense (tons of spores, for example) or I use Guppies, I upgrade energy storage for peak use.

4xC

C,C,C,C

steelwing

Depends on when I can get to a totem and how much energy I've got.  If there's more than one totem on the map, I sometimes wait until I've got two.  The totems don't draw power until there's a forge to receive their aether, after all.

Omegatron

I usually build a forge soon after I first engage the creeper, I also usually wait until I have two or more totems.

JF-T

If i starts on a map and don't even have a single totem then I don't bother with a forge until i secure two or more.
I build a forge with one totem secured if it's a tough level, but beyond that, I don't bother with it.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Incompetent

I build it when I have a totem linked up, I'm not in immediate danger from the creeper, and I'm not able to spend all my energy on collectors.  First upgrade for me is usually energy efficiency.

cooltv27

I normally try to get one pretty fast, if I can use it. that forge saved my life once.
I was trapped in a corner, out of energy (I was not really trying), built it, and slowly got more energy, and DESTORYED ALL THE ORANGE GOOP (I was a little bored)
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

Ringo

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 11, 2013, 09:18:58 PM

Helpful Hint: Always check a map to see if it actually has any totems! Some DMD maps and custom maps simply don't, so don't take it for granted. And some maps are so brief that there's no point constructing a forge - the packets and time can be better spent elsewhere.
[/quote]

You should always check a map to see what it has in the 1st place not just any totems.

Now how long before i build one? About a minute after i have build a good defensive line that is holding the creeper back with full power being generated and no lost of power. If i notice that the power is dropping i deactivate it and build another reactor or two.

Loyal

Usually shortly after I've started building reactors. The forge usually gets the build order after the second or fourth reactor is complete, depending on how many totems I expect to feed. I might delay it longer if I don't think I really need it immediately, though this is rare as I generally like to get at least one Range or Movespeed upgrade ASAP, since it greatly helps my Mortars and Strafers perform, respectively.