Hardest map?

Started by Karsten75, August 27, 2010, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

February 22 2016 is pretty hard but I managed to complete it.  Good luck trying to hold the high ground.

Darklurker

Yesterday's map (Sept 14 2015) is proving to be a bit difficult (I'm a day behind).  There's no safe high ground to land Odin City (which starts in the valley), the emitters are on hills 3 or 4 units high, and the creeper keeps coming down those hills too fast to even build 3 or 4 collectors and two blasters.  Oh, and there's a 7-minute spore attack (not that I've lasted long enough for the first wave yet). 

romulusnr

Quote from: Darklurker on September 15, 2015, 03:52:39 PM
Yesterday's map (Sept 14 2015) is proving to be a bit difficult (I'm a day behind).  There's no safe high ground to land Odin City (which starts in the valley), the emitters are on hills 3 or 4 units high, and the creeper keeps coming down those hills too fast to even build 3 or 4 collectors and two blasters.  Oh, and there's a 7-minute spore attack (not that I've lasted long enough for the first wave yet).

I've never seen a Chronom that had the Odin start square on the bottom level before. That hill at the top right really should not have that center pinnacle.

I've tried "air bridging" using the ridge along the top left, but power feeding is too slow using that method, and before you know it the spores are coming. AND THERE'S EIGHT OF THEM. No way you can defend that. I was able to get up one SAM, one Mortar, and was working on a drone (how else will you be able to stop the flood up ahead?). Toasted the whole ridge, and that was it. I got to about the 8 minute mark. Now I'm just floating with no hope...

Edit: Made it to 15:30 airbridging using the mound to the right. Managed to survive the first round of spores, but that one took out my two SAMs, and I couldn't survive the second one.

Darklurker

I tried air bridging on the right side, but that didn't work as the angle is too awkward so collectors have to stay on that bottom step.

So I may pass on this map.  I'll be in good company though, as the High Score list for this map only has 10 scores in the All-Time score list, not 20 or 30 like most maps, and even then, OldSlugLicker took 9:19 to beat it.

Anonymeus

There's a few custom maps that deploy a similar gambit. Want you want to do is
Spoiler
cut its head off with three blasters - before doing anything else..
[close]

Darklurker

I played around on the map over the weekend (I can't leave it alone...).  I did manage to survive for 84 minutes (about 4 hours in real time) by air-bridging that top left ridge.  But I finally quit as I couldn't find a way to advance off of the ridge.

The trick I found is to park OC between the upgrade and the bump in the ridge.  Grab the upgrade and start building collectors, reactors, and mortars on the ridge.  Sit there as long as you can, until the creeper starts injuring OC, then start the tedious air-bridging.  Reactors seem to add more "oomph" when air-bridging - at least to me it seemed like they "added" proportionally more to the meager power collection than the collectors.  I mean, I know a reactor adds more than a collector when OC is on the ground, but when air-bridging, the collectors seem to barely add anything, but a reactor adds a good bit.

I couldn't figure out a strategy to take out enough creeper to get a blaster on the valley floor.  Even using a drone on the left side and "flying in" two mortars on the right side didn't reduce the creeper enough to where a blaster could clear out an area for itself on the floor.  It's just too much creeper, not enough energy, and the emitters are so high that gravity is pulling the creeper down under pressure (that's how I refer to it).

my guess is that the guys who did manage to beat the map (and in 9 minutes) must have air-bridged up that left-central ridge somehow and gotten a foothold on top and capped off that 2nd emitter.  I've tried a few times, but haven't had any success yet.

Darklurker

Here's a cap of the start of the game.

Anonymeus

:)

[SPOILER ALERT!]

Darklurker

Anonymeus: ah, yes, that works.  It's way more aggressive than I usually play, but I'm always glad to learn new strategies.  Thanks.  Now I can put this one behind me. :)

Karsten75

Quote from: Darklurker on September 25, 2015, 01:35:00 PM
Anonymeus: ah, yes, that works.  It's way more aggressive than I usually play, but I'm always glad to learn new strategies.  Thanks.  Now I can put this one behind me. :)

Anonymeus is a synonym for "aggressive" as far as game play is concerned. :)

Darklurker

Today's map (Mar 9 2016) is looking tough.  I'm still trying to figure out how Anonymeus would do it.   ;)

Only 6 scores in the all-time list, so it's obviously a challenge.

Anonymeus

More or less same story as last time...

Spoiler
You have all the time in the world to build at least 4 blasters... then fly over to the top right corner, cap the emitter and build from there
[close]

Drakalian

Well, if there are anyone still here, I would like some help with this one, June 24 1993

Anonymeus

This one is a real pain.  :o

Oiskapunk

Found a hard one. I wasn' able to beat it yet, but i am still trying. It doesn't look hard at the first view. But the creeper is coming close very fast. You don't have enough time to build up a defense against creeper and also spores. Even moving the city to a safe spot is impossible.

February 1, 4254

Tell me how you doing on this map.

Edit: I made it. It was complicated.

Edit2: Aggressive strategy I learned from this thread made me won again with a much better time.