Custom Map #523: Redacted Space. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 07, 2017, 11:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #523: Redacted Space

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 500x160

Desc:
This space is beautiful, look at the sky box, beautiful! Enough enjoyment of the scenery, we have a problem. Why are there boxes? What do they do?

Sorrontis

Don't worry, this one is easy... I think.

... ok ... ok... spoilers

What to do:
Spoiler
Stay in the bottom left corner collecting as many amp gems as possible. If your ship moves out, you set off trap 1. If you stay longer than 5 minutes, an enemy ship sets off trap 1. Plan accordingly.
[close]
Spoiler
First amp gem: temporarily set it to land burn. Burn some land so that Boat 1 can lathe 1 omni pickup. Use omni to get the rest of the omni pickups and move to the top left to set up base while Boat 1 & HQ collects amp gems.
[close]
Spoiler
The boxes. Yes, emitters teleport. So do the ship pickups. There's a pattern, a difficult pattern, but it's there. Plan ahead, lathe the emitters using 2 Boat 1s so that the emitters are nullified in the boxes you want. They give you power sources.
[close]
Spoiler
Careful the cannons. They are strong and invulnerable. Two methods of dealing with them. Mired land (takes time) or sacrifice push through and take out their power supply.
[close]
Spoiler
Don't travel to far to the right to quickly, you'll set off trap 2.
[close]
Spoiler
Use a complement of omnis, emergents, and ships to take the islands and destroy the progenitors.
[close]

Good luck!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

For those interested in how I make things move, and cause emitters to change particle types:

Spoiler

once
225 79 71 1 GetAllUnitsInRange ->Units
endonce

GetGameTimeFrames 1 add 300 mod eq0 if
<-Units GetListCount 0 do
<-Units[I] ->UID
#<-UID GetUnitType Trace
I 3 eq if
@RandCoordEmit3
else
I 2 eq if
@RandCoordEmit2
else
I 1 eq if
@RandCoordEmit1
else
@RandCoordEmit0
endif
endif
endif
loop
endif

GetGameTimeFrames 1 add 1800 mod eq0 if
<-Units GetListCount 0 do
<-Units[I] ->UID1
0 3 RandInt ->UID1.EMITTERPARTICLETYPE
loop
endif

:RandCoordEmit0
<-UID.UnitCoordY 79 Lte if
@RandInt 2 eq if
243 ->UID.UnitCoordX
135 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
280 ->UID.UnitCoordX
98 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
else
@RandInt 2 eq if
169 ->UID.UnitCoordX
24 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
206 ->UID.UnitCoordX
61 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
endif

:RandCoordEmit1
@RandInt 2 eq if
280 ->UID.UnitCoordX
135 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
243 ->UID.UnitCoordX
98 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
else
@RandInt 2 eq if
206 ->UID.UnitCoordX
24 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
169 ->UID.UnitCoordX
61 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
endif

:RandCoordEmit2
@RandInt 2 eq if
169 ->UID.UnitCoordX
135 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
206 ->UID.UnitCoordX
98 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
else
@RandInt 2 eq if
280 ->UID.UnitCoordX
24 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
243 ->UID.UnitCoordX
61 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
endif

:RandCoordEmit3
@RandInt 2 eq if
206 ->UID.UnitCoordX
135 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
169 ->UID.UnitCoordX
98 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
else
@RandInt 2 eq if
243 ->UID.UnitCoordX
24 ->UID.UnitCoordY
else
280 ->UID.UnitCoordX
61 ->UID.UnitCoordY
endif
endif

:RandInt
2 0 RandInt

[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

My emotions across multiple playthroughs:
Spoiler

Pre-playthrough:
Spoiled emitters for myself by looking at PRPL code. I cannot resist code.

First playthrough
These emitters at the start are up to no good. I know Sorrontis well enough - there's something evil here. I'll grab a ship pickup, it's a lathe, good, lets build it, I need more lathes ASAP, lets grab some omnis. Ok, HQ, lets go out of this box to get these omni pickups, carefully, don't touch these emitters...EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE, RUN, RUN, RUN, SORRONTIS IS EVIL, RETREAT

Everything is good, I have ships, I have some energy, lets get these starting omnis and ship pickups. Commence rockburning operations under heavy pressure. Get two omnis before realizing that I'll never get these ship pickups on this playthrough without some ridiculously slow and tedious tactics like multiple HQs warp-ins.

Restart

Second playthrough:
Grab these ships, no DON'T LATHE FACTORIES, GET DOWN, THE PRESSURE, EVERYTHING WILL GO BAD SOON! Ok, got ships, got amp gem, I had this much time last time? Nevermind, RUN FOR SAFETY! HQ crippled, mild panic, HQ destroyed. It looks like I've managed to escape better last time, probably got out a couple of seconds earlier.

Nevermind, proceed with omni carving operation, everything went smoothly, got all of them and feel extremely smart for such a creative way of using rock burner. Emitter hopping provides no problem, since I looked at code.

Now, cannons. Yep, fast-firing. Yep, piercing. Yep, Sorrontis is evil. Now, but I am smart, I dug out all these omnis, I have these cannon ships and this tanker. I'll clear the land with guns and build omnis close enough to guns, so they will start lath... well... unlatheable guns count as double evil.

Nevermind, omnis are great and effective, everything can be conquered, one gun at a time, one mine at a time, just the final stretch, lots of empty space, knowing Sorrontis, there will be some ship sacrifi...WHAT IS THIS?! WHY IS EVERYTHING SO BAD?! WHYYYY?!

After a brief confusion everything was ok, initial treats were neutralized, but no major progress could be done on final two spots.

Well, it's Sorrontis map, and I'm not a good enough player for maps of this difficulty, lets look at spoilers, starting with a first one...I DID EVERYTHING WRONG ALL THIS TIME!!!

Restart

Third playthrough:
Lots of gems. Have some techs to play around with.

Well, Sorrontis was right, this one is easy. Sorrontis is evil, though.
[close]

Serious question:
Spoiler

Why enemy ship as a trigger? Timer would work too and would be less confusing, I think.
[close]
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

Sorrontis

Quote from: Stickman on January 07, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
My emotions across multiple playthroughs:
Spoiler

[...]
Serious question:

Why enemy ship as a trigger? Timer would work too and would be less confusing, I think.

[close]
I was thinking like the running orc in Lord of the Rings at Helms Deep.

Oblivion

Just curious, have you hidden something in the corner of the initial area we start in or are those just the PRPL cores you've placed?
~Memes have been scientifrically proven to be the very essence of life unto itself~

Sorrontis

Quote from: Oblivion on January 07, 2017, 06:08:32 PM
Just curious, have you hidden something in the corner of the initial area we start in or are those just the PRPL cores you've placed?

Should be three PRPL cores... they should be invisible and take no space.

JoaoPistori

Not hard and I really enjoyed playing it.
As you can't do well at your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd attempt without reading at least one spoiler, it would be nice if your next maps with traps had some small initial "hint-dialog" telling the player to move cautiously or a PRPL core with an image showing that there's something wrong (the possible trap) over there. This could give an alert to the player, so he/she can quick-save before getting close to it.
The surprises are very amazing and they really make the map differentiated, giving a completely creative and new gameplay.

Sorrontis

Quote from: JoaoPistori on January 08, 2017, 02:26:08 PM
Not hard and I really enjoyed playing it.
As you can't do well at your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd attempt without reading at least one spoiler, it would be nice if your next maps with traps had some small initial "hint-dialog" telling the player to move cautiously or a PRPL core with an image showing that there's something wrong (the possible trap) over there. This could give an alert to the player, so he/she can quick-save before getting close to it.
The surprises are very amazing and they really make the map differentiated, giving a completely creative and new gameplay.

Ah yes. I did forget that there's a lot of new players that didn't play the Sorrontis maps in CW3. I apologize. The surprise maps were my signature, which I usually just add the #PRPL #Sorrontis tags; I forgot to do it. Trap maps will be more common coming from me now that I've got a good grasp on PRPL.

Oblivion

~Memes have been scientifrically proven to be the very essence of life unto itself~

Doug

Quite the map with a lot of surprises. Well done sir.

Only think I disliked was it felt like alot of my attacks were left up to chance. Always came down to the last second if I could kill the emitters in the boxes and the one in the lower right corner buy the particle ship. That one took me forever.

Sorrontis

I see. If you wanted to have assured success vs the box emitters, the two Boat 1.0 were required, and for extra assurances, have 1 or 2 omnis on stand-by would help kill the emitter under 20s (the emitters jump every 20 seconds)

svartmes

Interesting and fun map!
Spoiler
The land pop-up was really cool, I didnt know you could do that. Makes me want to play more maps with alternating terrain!
[close]

If you are gonna do more of these trap/puzzle types I definitely think you should hold off with posting spoilers until people can give it a try. Sure it's optional to read hints but, If anyone solves it "blind" it gives them bragging rights and if not it promotes some collective detective work here on the forums. Atleast give it a day I'd say. :)

Sorrontis

I learned early on that these kinds of maps without hints in the forums get me in trouble. :P

Doug

I hadnt tried omnis on the boxes. Probably would have helped lol. The lower left with the particulate ship gave me the most problems. Either way the longer it takes me the more rewarding the win ;)