Custom ship editor: build ships up to size 128x128 (v0.3.4)

Started by kajacx, December 20, 2016, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Dark Ambition

This sounds like it could be used to add custom modules easier? If so, maybe you should add grid presets if people want to stay in the original boundaries and not risk having a larger than normal ship.

kajacx

Thanks for the responses, I don't reply to each of then individually because it would be quite spammy.

I have thought about grid presets, but that would require some kind of settings menu (ain't nobody got time for that), however I can add an indicator to outline the 35x25 original maximal size, seems like a good idea.

As for the custom modules, I have only briefly looked at planetfall's code, I have not yet tried to implement any. However I can see how the "Master" script that scans for ships and adds custom modules (scripts) could be generated automaticly, or at least a portion of it.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Sorrontis

As there any more work done on this?
I'd love to see an update :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

kajacx

Well, I've been very lazy lately, so I don't see myself adding new content any time soon, unfortunately.

However, the "import from clipboard" feature is now totally busted with the new ship info and stuff, so I'll probably fix that at the very least.

Nevertheless, the project is still opensource, so I can walk someone over the code in a ~30 minute skype call if anyone is interested to continue developing this. (Sorry for not being more enthusiastic about this, I lost motivation after a while, as I do with most things.)
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

FOXX

Quote from: kajacx on February 11, 2017, 04:35:03 PM
Well, I've been very lazy lately, so I don't see myself adding new content any time soon, unfortunately.

However, the "import from clipboard" feature is now totally busted with the new ship info and stuff, so I'll probably fix that at the very least.

Nevertheless, the project is still opensource, so I can walk someone over the code in a ~30 minute skype call if anyone is interested to continue developing this. (Sorry for not being more enthusiastic about this, I lost motivation after a while, as I do with most things.)
It would be great if somebody could work on this project because its Awesome !!
I don't really know what is possible with this project but with the Ship Editor V0.0.5 you can build some cool ships.
And with GoodMornings ShipYard you have a good combination going.
For my new Adventure i have tested this and the Save As ... option still works.
I don't have the knowledge to continue this project. All i know is this is Amazing.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

kajacx

I have (finally) updated the program, let's hope it isn't utterly broken :D (just kidding, the testing went fine).

However my skills with Java Swing UI are lacking at best, take the description for example, I recommend writing your description down somewhere else and then copy-pasting it if it has more than 6 lines, otherwise the UI becomes somewhat broken.

Also setting the CITG is explained in the help section, it's rather simple, really.

tornado

Ok, I'm in love. here hoping it works on Linux(should? it is a javas thing).
Now all I need is to know what I'm doing.
Shame I only found this after cannibalizing D.Ambitions 'Archivist' Ship for a HQ module(I'm sorry, Honest! please do not send the legal department, D.Ambition or otherwise).
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

kajacx

Quote from: tornado on February 28, 2017, 12:56:53 PM
Ok, I'm in love. here hoping it works on Linux(should? it is a javas thing).
It should work as far as I know (haven't tested it tho), except for exporting the ship back to the PF editor. That part is writen in C# (It uses a specific GZip library that I didn't find out how to use in Java). That C# code is then compiled to .exe file that gets executed from the Java code. I have no idea how to do that in linux (probably by using mono?) so if you want, I can look into it (However I can see myslef ragequitting because you have to google for 3 hours how to make ubuntu in virtualbox go fullscreen)

As to the HQ module, a new version (v0.1.3) is out and you can add it to your ships.

tornado

neat, also I have encountered one issue: filepaths. can't point the PRPL+ thingy to particlefleet.
that and trying to get a filepath in Ubuntu is like trying to get blood from a stone. Since it is open source I might see if I can bodge something that'll work(somehow, and assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it).

Edit: First bug report! you have the .jar labeled as v0.1.3, but the command looks for v0.1.2. (correction, you didn't change the command to match the file at all, apologies for the excessive response.).
Edit 2: Also, the .jar file doesn't have the executable bit enabled.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.

kajacx

The path shouldn't be a problem, I think, as long as you include a absolute path to the PF document folder - you can find out where that is by going into editor, creating new PRPL script and hitting Edit. Just make sure to point to the folder that contains the "editor" subfolder, not the "editor" subfolder itself. (see the code)

Yea, I forgot to change the bat file (fail), I'm working on improving the textures so I'll fix that soon.
As for the .jar file not having the exec bit set, I have no idea how to set that on windows :D

tornado

i suppose just have something that makes people aware of the executable bit. and yeah, absolute filepaths work(/home/user/relevant path)

Edit: Wow, I can't seem to not find bugs tonight. it seems that the program doesn't have the permission to create a .dat file(No idea at all why). oh wait, you included a thing saying that it won't work. my bad.

kajacx

tornado, generating the .dat file should now work on Linux, but you have to have mono installed.
Also you don't need to set the execute bit on the .jar file, just run in via
java -jar PRPL-Toolset-v0.1.4.jar

GoodMorning

Out of interest, if a few of the "fixed blocks" you include are in fact representing "Ship99" or "Ship8", do any of the others represent strings?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

kajacx

Quote from: GoodMorning on February 28, 2017, 08:17:05 PM
Out of interest, if a few of the "fixed blocks" you include are in fact representing "Ship99" or "Ship8", do any of the others represent strings?

In the ship data there is a section that I would call "Ship type", all the custom ships have it set to "Ship99", however the build-in ships have each a different ship type ("Ship0" for Lathe, "Ship2" for Cruiser, "Ship8" for HQ Command). I have not tried setting this string to anything else than "Ship99" or "Ship8", and I doubt it would do anything anyway (the ship type has no information about the modules/hull, those are stored separately)

I have explained in the main post how setting the type to "Ship8" will instantly build the ship, whereas adding a command HQ module will keep energy mines open, do alarm sound on damage, etc. The important thing is these 2 things can be set completely separately.

Where is the ship type stored

Note: I have recreated the Cruiser ship in the PF ship editor, that's why it says "Ship99" and not "Ship2"

[close]