Custom Map #1161: Battlestations. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, June 07, 2018, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1161: Battlestations

Author: Decagon
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Fresh arrivals through the Hyperspace Gate, a Sobani fleet prepares to embark on its first mission in the midst of the war against the terrible Hydraxil Collective.

Lisimba

That was a great fight!

Spoiler
I took the top left first, then most of the stuff in the center part of the map. Then I took out the bottom right and set up camp just left to it to take out the nearby particle spawner and one of the ship spawners. At this point it would be prudent to circle back around and take out the top right too but I figured it would be more exciting to go directly for the center. After some prodding of the defenses I started lathing the progenitor, which was the trickiest part of the fight. I had to retreat whenever the enemy ships came, ram them, then move back in to distract the big ship with my entire fleet, taking huge damage and rebuilding the small ships whenever I sacrificed them - but it worked, and I eventually popped the progenitor in a mad final assault that cost me every ship in the fleet, including the HQ.

Then I had to spend another two minutes collecting the omni pickup in the center :P
[close]

Johnny Haywire

Aye! Really nicely planned battle map!

It was a bit frustrating only having one gem, and not having any shields, but on the other hand if we'd been given those extra things it would've just made the map easier, not better.

This is one of those fairly straightforward maps that really tests your strategic ability. Not recommended for 4 out of 5 players  :P

Too bad that losing a map gives the map a lower score, instead of giving the PLAYER a lower score! Ah, if only!  ::)

Thanks for the map, m8!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

toolforger

I couldn't find how to kill the last defense. All ships suck at ramming (you need at least two for each enemy, and more than that if the angle isn't just right), insufficient firepower to even dream of dealing with the station, I'm really wondering how lathing the progenitor would even work - the station will just kill the lathe ship.

I am giving this up.
Which, in the words, makes me a bad strategist, but I do not think that playing on the AI being an idiot is strategy... but different perspectives, I guess.

Johnny Haywire

Hey toolforger,

It's been almost a year since I did this so I'm not sure what strategy I used. Looking at the map, it might be possible to land a few omnis on the bases, and you might need to stack a few ships as shields for the omnis so they can reach it. No guarantees, but it might work.

Lemme know if ya really can't figure it out and I'll maybe give it another shot, although I haven't played PF in a long time.

Good luck!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?