Toggle base mobility in map editor

Started by mothwentbad, January 02, 2010, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothwentbad

Self-explanatory. Shouldn't be hard. Why not? More options!

Also, I really liked the thread "alternate victory condition suggestions". I'm all in favor of as many easily coded things that make a big difference as possible. :)

knucracker

I've thought about adding the base mobility limiter.  This is low hanging fruit so I will probably add it to the next drop.

The alternate victory condition(s) might be possible to.  I have mostly considered "domination" as a game type.  You have to reduce the creeper below some percentage map coverage.  This is easy enough to code up, I just have to put a display somewhere in the game for how much of the map is covered by creeper.  Believe it or not, but is usually little stuff like 'where to show the info' that can be the biggest problems. 

An alternate domination game type is where you have to build a 'sealer' on top of every emitter.  Of course to build the sealer you have to get a node in range so you effectively have to have capped an emitter before it can be sealed.  This form of domination has the advantage that I don't have to show a % covered anywhere....  But I would have to allow you to build a sealer in the game.  My thoughts on this are that you just click the emitter itself to try to build the sealer.

Mrmcdeath

Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

Aurzel

cant you have a survival one too that'd be great :P

TheBuilder

aurzel when u say survival i think:
     "For that to work the emmiteres would have to be outside the map and over time produce more and more creeper, not to mention that eventually spores would be introduced and that they would get gradually harder and harder to manage".

Ya, i know, sounds a lot like regular TDs, but when u have a game like this, people sometimes like to see how it would play out if it worked more like another game theyve played AND like how it was originally coded.

Gives them more to do
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

you dont need to have the emitters off, just have a condition that says something like: odin city must be alive after 10 minutes or something

TheBuilder

no no no u misunderstand, i mean: NOT ON THE SCREEN SO U CAN'T CAP THEM, sorry for the caps just want to get the main point across.

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

what's wrong with capping them? it would be very hard but if you can manage it great on you

TheBuilder

if u could cap them then wats the point of survival, as the creeper poured out of the emitters more all ud have to do is add another blaster, if they aren't even there to be capped then it makes it harder, if u want it to be that is.
"note" this is assuming u have all four sides of the screen covered with SAMs

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

because the idea (mine at least) isnt to survive as long as you can its, you win if you survive for a set amount of time

TheBuilder

ehh good point though it would be able to set the map to be either: "survive for this long" or "survive for as long as u can".

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

TheBuilder

well thats wat ur idea got me to thinking

They said, "Life."

mothwentbad

The trouble with survival mode in this game is that the mortars are insanely powerful, once you've got your front lines set up. I can see how a game with terraforming might make a much more interesting survival mode, but as pointed out elsewhere, it's pretty easy to get locked into stalemates. About the only way to kill anyone is to drop 10x as many spores all over the screen than it is mathematically possible to shoot down. That might be fun for a couple plays.

Mrmcdeath

Or if they made the emitters more intensive after a set time and new ones appeared.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.