Advanced Terrain

Started by Dranar, January 02, 2010, 01:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dranar

I was sitting here, reading the forums like i usually do when im bored, and I thought of a great idea. (Well, I think it's a great idea)

My idea is about having advanced terrain, such as bridges and tunnels and such. Instead of all the hills being full, they could be hollow, for more room for collectors and storage etc.

If you have a terrain level of 3, stretching from one hill to another, you could press the '+' key on your keyboard to move height, and have another bridge above it at 5, so it adds a more 3D look to the game, and for more room to build.

This could be used for challenges, such as having to build a drill building, to dig and find a totem in the midst of a emitter pool, or to create tunnels from 1 building to another, or finding hidden artifacts and upgrades.
The Reactor - The Reactor of all Reactors

djcian

can you imagine how hard it would be to put in tunnels or bridges that actually looked like tunnels and bridges without changing the look of the entire map from a top down to more of looking from an angle.  this idea with the tunnels has come up before and that is what i think shot it down like last time. 
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

ctrlfrk

I love people who find it easier to shoot down ideas than to contribute.
As far as being able to tell if ground is hollow, you could just give the terrain over it a different texture. The small depth indicator you get already could be changed to show hollow terrain too.
Using +/- to move between layers is probably the most intuitive way of doing it. You may want to have layers above the active layer semitransparent rather than invisible, so you can still see what's going on.

TheBuilder

so far so good now we just have to convince KC to get them in the game. (hmm digging for artifacts), with so much of a game already, its amazing how many MORE things people came up with to add to the game.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

dj is right to a point, the idea has been considered before and i believe it's been shelved in favour of other things like larger maps and (hopefully) new buildings

TheBuilder

think about it though, bridges and tunnels would go great with LARGER maps, cause on the maps now they would either be too important or overlooked in the overal strategy of the level.

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

i think more elevation options would go better with larger maps, bridges and tunnels seem like a good idea but i believe dj is right in saying that would be annoying and hard to work with in the top down view of cw

TheBuilder

eh maby he can add it MUCH later then.

They said, "Life."