Main Menu

Turrets

Started by impikmin, January 02, 2010, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

impikmin

I see someone has made a post about mobile relays, and I would like to compliment that with immobile weaponry. Though drones can't move, they don't really need to; I can't see why someone wouldn't build one near Odin, and if the creeper has gotten so far as to threaten your drone you've got other things to worry about...
Turrets would sacrifice mobility for extra firepower. There would  be a  blaster turret and a mortar turret. They would cost the same as their predecessors.
I came up with this idea because I was thinking that being able to fly must require energy that could otherwise be put towards blasting creeper.
There might also come an upgrade where you could root Odin city in the ground, to gather more resources.
I know mobility is a great part of Creeper World strategy, but this would give players an option to focus on placement, with the worrying though in mind that they wouldn't be able to rectify any mistakes they made.

Mrmcdeath

This would be a good idea to have. You get stronger versions that don't move. You could build them at the beggining to stop the creeper and then send out the mobile blasters.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

mothwentbad

Mortars and blasters are already pretty strong. I think a wider range and/or more energy efficiency would be better. Maybe the city could have a built-in blaster.

A mortar could be better if it shot off 6 or 8 blaster rounds centered at the explosion. The ammo cost would have to scale accordingly, because this would be very useful. Maybe too useful, letting you snipe and totally clear out ground from a distance.

Actually, probably the easiest thing to balance would be immobile versions that use energy at the same rate, and have the same power, but cost about 10 energy less to build. Even this would make a lot of maps a lot easier, since getting a mortar in just the right place 10 seconds sooner can make a huge difference.

impikmin

Quote from: mothwentbad on January 02, 2010, 01:11:59 PM
Mortars and blasters are already pretty strong. I think a wider range and/or more energy efficiency would be better. Maybe the city could have a built-in blaster.

A mortar could be better if it shot off 6 or 8 blaster rounds centered at the explosion. The ammo cost would have to scale accordingly, because this would be very useful. Maybe too useful, letting you snipe and totally clear out ground from a distance.

Actually, probably the easiest thing to balance would be immobile versions that use energy at the same rate, and have the same power, but cost about 10 energy less to build. Even this would make a lot of maps a lot easier, since getting a mortar in just the right place 10 seconds sooner can make a huge difference.

Giving the city a built in blaster would be a cool upgrade.
I really don't know how to balance it correctly, since I don't even own the full version, but the basic idea is 'sacrifice mobility for some advantage.' Your suggestion sounds like it would leave much room for strategic error, since a player might get overzealous due to fear and build more weapons than absolutely necessary. While that may even prove crucial in that moment, it could hurt him much more later on, seeing as once the creeper has been pushed back beyond their range, they are useless.
I like it!

djcian

it would not hurt him later on to have alot of useless turrets because as long as they are not shooting they don't use energy and it is like they are not there.  the worst part is that they take up space but even then you could just activate the self-destruct
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

SPIFFEN

What if turrets get auto upgraded if they are'nt moved .
The auto upgrade should be longer distance and stroger firepower ,
and they get upgraded for what they kill of creepers .

Then there will be more important where to put turrets/towers ,
and if you really want to move it .

The moved turrets/towers will lose it's upgrades .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

TheBuilder

Here's an idea, maps could me made so that once u build something it can't be moved or detroyed, from teh begining to the end of the mission, normal operations could be unlocked through gettin an artifact, or not at all, though everything would cost slightly less to begin with.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

personally i dont like the idea of immovable turrets, as the op said, part of cw is it's mobility and seeing as the creeper is more or less constantly changing in where it is, how much of it there is and how fast it's moving amonth other things, stationary turrets seem pretty redundant since they'll be useless after less than a few minutes and if you want to use them to protect odin city, well if odin city is in danger of being overrun by creeper there's probably not much that the protection can do to stop it, or even if it can you'll probably run out of energy soon anyway

TheBuilder

not just teh turrets aurzel, but odin citty as well, it could be made to act like the other techs. it could be turned on or off when making the map and a tech schematic could be placed on the map to be aquired, like say if Odin city has a rough landing or somethin and they cant make it or any of the other units move till they get said schematic.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

i dunno i guess i'd have to see it in play before i could get a better idea