Creeper World 3 keeps crashing

Started by TheBobCat, October 06, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBobCat

I tried event viewer but nothing seemed to change, in system i still had 51,965 events both before and after running the game.(and before and after closing the error message).

knucracker

Hold on a sec... I see AVG in your process list.  I seem to remember all kinds of problems that some people reported on the Unity forums about AVG 2013 and either the unity editor or unity games.  Some folks also had issues with Avast 8 where the crash looked a lot like yours.

As an experiment you might try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.  Please do this temporarily in a controlled setting and remember to re-enable it.

Nameless

sounds like you same problem as me of course I haven't solved it either sorry if my topic isn't similar to urs but I think its the same check unity web player if is working for me its not. I recently found out my problem might cause by it my topic was creeper world 3 not start/launching.
:P
Nvm what I said turns out the global moderator  recently just told me it not case because cw3 does not use unity player Infrastructure but you can check it out ur self if you want.

TheBobCat

I saw your post nameless and have been reading it, the problems sound very similar.

Also i have tried playing in safe mode and with AVG turned off, still no luck.

knucracker

I'm basically out of any obvious options at this point.  I'm reduced to googling around just like everyone else.  In theory there should never be any crashes in a managed environment like Unity.  Be we all know the gap between theory and reality.  When I look at other unity based games, crashes related to mono.dll seem common.  That may be what is going on here.  The resolutions always seem to be "nvidia driver related", "bad ram related", "anti-virus software related", all of those sort of things.

I know this is of no comfort to you, but I had tens of thousands of mission scores submitted in just the first 24 hours after launch.  So whatever this problem is, it must be relatively obscure and rare.  Over 99.9% of installations seem to have gone through problem free, or relatively problem free.  Like I said, that's no comfort to you.  But, it does give us some insight into the general nature of the issue.  We need to be looking for something rare, different, or very atypical.

Out of curiosity, have you experienced any other odd things on your system?  Trouble with any other games, or unity based games?  Any unique or atypical software installed?

Grauniad

We need to get more info here. Not that I'm hopeful, but still...
the original post said you get an "oops" message.

Can you take a screen capture of that message? Perhaps we can determine the component that is crashing without leaving a trace in the event viewer.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

to find if it was an AVG issue it would be worth:
disabling AVG,
uninstalling CW3,
rebooting with AVG off (config.sys in win XP, dunno about win 7 etc),
reinstalling CW3 and retrying the game.
all in that order.

if the game works at least we know it's an anti-virus issue.
but i use AVG and it's never been an issue.
while typing this it occured that you never said if any web access control programs are involved.
if i don't authorise ZoneAlarm to allow CW3 then i get errors too.
is it your firewall possibly?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

TheBobCat

Here is the error message i get, the part where it says '2013-10-08_xxxxxx' changes each time i try to load the game.

Also, if the game works for you, can you send a pic of your CW3_Data folder.

Grauniad

Quote from: TheBobCat on October 08, 2013, 12:08:07 PM
Also, if the game works for you, can you send a pic of your CW3_Data folder.

TheBobCat

My data folder looks like this, Also from the 'Level0' to 'PlayerConnectionConfigFile' load up my mass effect 2 game, could that have something to do with it?

Grauniad

My bad, I misunderstood you. You showed me the data file in Program files, I showed you the player data file that should be created in your documents folder once the game launches.

My CW3_Data directory looks exactly like yours.

Can you locate that Crash file mentioned in your "oops" message? Can you (or have you already) upload that here?

Grauniad

Quote from: TheBobCat on October 08, 2013, 12:52:23 PM
Also from the 'Level0' to 'PlayerConnectionConfigFile' load up my mass effect 2 game, could that have something to do with it?

This I do not understand. Can you say it again, differently so I can try to understand?

TheBobCat

I mean that every time i double click on the files with the red on the icon (e.g. Level0), it loads mass effect 2 (which i have installed). i was woundering if that could have anything to do with the game (CW3) not working.

(I want to avoid having to uninstalling ME2 if possible as re-downloading it from origin would take a very long time, however i will do it if you think it will get CW3 to work).

Grauniad

We are getting a little closer to things that are "wrong" in your install. If you double-click on a file, then the file association decides what file to launch. Somehow you have a file association that says a file with no extension is associated with Mass Effect.  That is super-weird.

But, regardless of that, you should NOT click on those files.

I will investigate if I can find out how to clean/repair your file associations - you can do the same.

Do you have a desktop icon for CW3? or an icon on your Start menu? If you click on that, what happens? Is that when you get the Oops screen?

TheBobCat

Both the desktop icon and the start menu bring up the 'oops' message, even going into the installation folder (where the uninstall program is) and clicking the application icon to run the game still brings up the 'oops' message.