Custom Map #426: Gem Fight

Started by AutoPost, November 07, 2011, 01:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #426: Gem Fight

Author: lich98

Desc:
2 more maps are left! play this one now.

lich98

What did you all think of my map?
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Karsten75

lich98

-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Karsten75

Just forget it.

burguertime

The crawling up the canals was a boring slog. Nothing new, just keep pushing blasters and launchers till you get through. Of course there was a little trick (used in the ending of liberation pinball, so go search) to help kill the creeper in the canal.

The fact the fields affected both creeper and AC made flooding the canals a pointless endeavour, even with a throng of repulsors backing up. Even the conversion bombs were not very useful.

The stacked up drones were ok, but were they necessary? every other drone spawn I would lose the leading blaster even with full upgrades.

And to crown it, why in the world the "friendly drone" gateway had 2 health? The 250k AC it produces is far lesser important in the setting as is the extra building surface you get killing it. You have plenty AC you cannot use in the second part of the map from other sources anyway.

The map would have been a lot more enjoyable if:

1) the friendly drone gateway had 1 health and was located elsewhere further in the frontline. (yes, i know its there for storyline purposes, so i would never say take it away).

2) the fields in the canals affected only creeper. You could go the extra mile and make REVERSE fields (even though it would make the canals too easy), but just not having a level 4 field moving my AC back would be nice.

2.1) the fields in the canals could be level 3 the effect on the creeper and AC would be the same, but you could use repulsors to help move along the canals. And AC would not be useless.

Remember you asked.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

lich98

Yes i did ask and i use this info to make my next map better.
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Karsten75

He said it *so* much nicer and kinder than I would have. :)

Yes, I could do it and got all the way up there, but would I want to play it a second time? A fun map is something people play more than one time (or at least want to play more than once).

lich98

-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

burguertime

Quote from: lich98 on November 09, 2011, 07:32:21 PM
ok Thanks for the feedback!

thank you for accepting feedback. It is so easy to diss someone's work, I tried to stick to the info, if there is some innuendo in the text, please blame the language barrier and lets be friends. >.<
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

lich98

-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

DethbyIT

Obviously a LOT of work went into making this map and that is always appreciated. I checked the scores before starting and almost didn't play (17+ minutes for JM is daunting).

The vast majority of this map is a lot of fun - chasing down Crystals & Nanochips, using shortcuts, etc.

It is not my personal preference to play games that require sacrificing pieces to advance. Much more fun to win by tactics, rather than brute force.

To emphasize - great overall concept and graphics and would love to play it one more time for a better score - but won't go through those canals again.

Thank you for all the work you put into making this.
dbit

dcasso

One of the few maps I stopped playing and the reason were the canals. But i probably boils down to taste :)

Seems to be a well designed map, but just not my kind of fun :)