Are stories in custom maps worth it?

Started by Ebon Heart, February 18, 2012, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shimizu

I guess it depends.

I'm fond of stories, generally speaking.  I read quite a bit and play mostly RPG type games when I'm not on this.

However, I find that if the mission introduction is 13/13 pages, chances are I'm going to hit 'skip', unless that first frame is interesting enough to make me care about what is in the next few frames.

Things I will typically read :
- First frame has humor or good lead-in
- Custom character graphics I'll almost always take the time to at least scroll through the first few pages since I appreciate the effort put in

Things I will ignore:
If the text is full of spelling errors & punctuation problems (i.e. reads like a text message)
If the map 'description' isn't interesting, or is absent.

I've actually put some thought into this because those who have played my maps know that with a couple of exceptions, I don't really utilize the custom character / description box text areas.  Mostly because the sort of maps I make don't require it.  When I think of the nature of the game itself, while you can write a long series, it is difficult to pull off because Creeper World 2 is very simple, you either need to

a)  kill everything
b)  save things that need saving

This doesn't give a lot of room for plot development unless you're doing a long series (ie ETF, for example).

I've got a project I've been messing with called CREEPER QUEST in which I'm trying to script a "rooms" type map with an integrated storyline (lots of text as you go along and a sequence of events) but am struggling with the lack of triggers and such.   My 'mapmaking' history includes probably thousands of custom starcraft rpg scenarios and lots of Civ-type game map scenaiors where this was certainly easier to do because you had more tools to do so and more variety of objectives aside from 'kill the blue stuff.'

Meow?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Shimizu on February 22, 2012, 04:11:40 PM
I guess it depends.

I'm fond of stories, generally speaking.  I read quite a bit and play mostly RPG type games when I'm not on this.

However, I find that if the mission introduction is 13/13 pages, chances are I'm going to hit 'skip', unless that first frame is interesting enough to make me care about what is in the next few frames.

Things I will typically read :
- First frame has humor or good lead-in
- Custom character graphics I'll almost always take the time to at least scroll through the first few pages since I appreciate the effort put in

Things I will ignore:
If the text is full of spelling errors & punctuation problems (i.e. reads like a text message)
If the map 'description' isn't interesting, or is absent.

I've actually put some thought into this because those who have played my maps know that with a couple of exceptions, I don't really utilize the custom character / description box text areas.  Mostly because the sort of maps I make don't require it.  When I think of the nature of the game itself, while you can write a long series, it is difficult to pull off because Creeper World 2 is very simple, you either need to

a)  kill everything
b)  save things that need saving

This doesn't give a lot of room for plot development unless you're doing a long series (ie ETF, for example).

I've got a project I've been messing with called CREEPER QUEST in which I'm trying to script a "rooms" type map with an integrated storyline (lots of text as you go along and a sequence of events) but am struggling with the lack of triggers and such.   My 'mapmaking' history includes probably thousands of custom starcraft rpg scenarios and lots of Civ-type game map scenaiors where this was certainly easier to do because you had more tools to do so and more variety of objectives aside from 'kill the blue stuff.'

There's actually a few types of triggers you can do in cw2... I'm pretty good with them. Message me, and I'd be glad to help you with triggers.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Rushed

I probably wouldn't care much for a map without a storyline. I would get bored and quit very quickly.

Rushed

(e)

I start reading all of the story lines. Sometimes they contain hints, and sometimes they are interesting, or fun. I will stop reading one that was not carefully written or just plain lame.

(e)

garry131

Remember when we had CW1 editor, and just heard of CW2 coming out?
I was looking forward to the improvements in the editor, that would add to our abilities to create a more awesome storyline.

Now we have many opportunities to push our stories forward, in play.
And customize our own characters.

So here we are dreaming of what will be coming with CW3!
More soundtrack choices, more than 8 characters, and whatever else, all enriching our potential stories.

Can you imagine Virgil not improving this aspect of the game?

I think the ability to insert a story is worth it, because when you are writing your story, and levels, it is like you are on fire, trying to create each level differently.
It is so fun to lay it all out, but then change it because of a new idea for the plot.

The maps I play I pick by the thumbnail's appearance. If it happens to be in a story, I may seek out other chapters, partly because of the story, partly because the author makes a fun game.

WiseSage

I bought Creeper World games only to know the story and might not be interested in further participation (map-making) if they hadn't epic "built-in" legend. Of cause, I carefully study any stories written by fans as well - to gain more knowlege about the Creeper World universe. It's a pity that it's not customary here.

Michionlion

I know - If only more people knew about the greatness of stories!  xD  CW3 is going to be so cool, just because of that.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: WiseSage on March 15, 2013, 01:15:42 PM
I bought Creeper World games only to know the story and might not be interested in further participation (map-making) if they hadn't epic "built-in" legend. Of cause, I carefully study any stories written by fans as well - to gain more knowlege about the Creeper World universe. It's a pity that it's not customary here.
I started a creeper world story a long time ago, but never got very far.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!