Custom Map #523: Redacted Space. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 07, 2017, 11:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

Glad you lik... ... ... wait ... what? That's not the response I'm looking for.

What d'you love so much about it?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

toolforger

Ah. I should have subscribed to the topic, sorry for the late response.

#1 I don't like having to restart a map just because some unknowable trap is sprung. I believe I mentioned it before, I don't like reading the map designer's mind. I dislike having to read spoilers even more.
(The "running orc" sprung trap 1 on me, but it turned out not to matter much - I just evacuated, let the particles coalesce and didn't worry too much about it. I may even have been helpful because less emergents in other places.)

#2 I can't seem to get the lower-right corner, or the rotating fortress. Too many particles, too strong, too fast, and once you have set everything up you're spammed by the doppel. I could get a few seconds of lathing, but then everything would either have to retreat for refuelling or be destroyed for even longer rebuild, and then I'd have to restart lathing from zero.
I could kill the fortress with a suicide run, except I still couldn't lathe it because too many, too strong, too fast particles and not enough fleet - not sure whether the fleet rebuild is faster than the fortress rebuild, but I was exhausted from fruitless attempts at making progress, any progress.

#3 for some reason the carrier would never refuel. Tanks were shown empty even if there was energy on board, and it was sucking itself dry like no tomorrow. But even with carrier support: Too many particles, fighters would target these rather than the ships, no idea why.

Trap #1 was evil but manageable, the boxes were no problem (I didn't even have to care *that* much about where I want the energy), the plasma was evil but no problem (reminded me of barbed wire in trench warfare but you can clean it out), the cannons were evil but manageable.
But the final phase... I hate it when I can't determine if my problems are from strategy (that I can fix) or a PRPL bug (then trying to make something happen is a waste of time, but restarting is a waste of time, too).

Ah well. It was an interesting map, but I still hate it.

toolforger

Quote from: Doug on January 10, 2017, 10:33:18 AMI hadnt tried omnis on the boxes. Probably would have helped lol.

There are two other tactics you can use:
1) Use beams to slow the particles, giving ship lathes enough survival time to do their work.
2) Use rock burner so the lathe ships can stay away a bit more from the emitters.
These even combine, but I found #1 sufficient actually; YMMV.