Weekly 5-Map Tournament - Breaking Bad - closing 06 Oct 2013

Started by asmussen, September 30, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asmussen

In honor of Breaking Bad's series finale, I'm naming this weeks boards after characters from the show.

A few useful links:
All Tournaments (wiki)
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
Breaking Bad

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
Saul   GoodmanSmallMedium
Walter White Jr.MediumMedium
Jesse PinkmanSmallHigh
Hank SchraderMediumHigh
Walter WhiteLargeHigh
Shawn Asmussen

Cavemaniac

Oooh.

One of my favourite shows of all time.

I noticed the final episode aired on Sept 29 - but it'll take another year for it to arrive down under!

Might have to rouse myself from my torpor and participate this week...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

asmussen

Results Per Player

RankNameSaul   GoodmanWalter White Jr.Jesse PinkmanHank SchraderWalter WhiteTotal ScoreTotal Time
1asmussen1270711543122761069594985671946:35
2Amram126381126612311960345818
3inept_celt119201015311674861542362
4MizInIA116291079811413804641886
5Anarchy Ape12411986011184794741402
6Cavemaniac12753116831242436860
7dt4212846115341241336793
8ea340111974126361165836268
9Atomicfrog1025010250
10Zaggy98169816
Scores recorded at 2013-10-05 06:27:43 forum time.
Shawn Asmussen

asmussen

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 30, 2013, 04:54:50 PM

Oooh.

I noticed the final episode aired on Sept 29 - but it'll take another year for it to arrive down under!

It really takes a year for it to air where you're at? I'm surprised that they still do stuff like that. You'd think that with that long of a delay, it'd just drive a lot of people to just download it from a torrent site rather than wait that long.
Shawn Asmussen

Amram

it does, and likely will continue to do so until they realise that the ability to share data from computer to computer regardless of geography has made it a global market regarding media, not merely a regional one.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: asmussen on October 02, 2013, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 30, 2013, 04:54:50 PM

Oooh.

It really takes a year for it to air where you're at? I'm surprised that they still do stuff like that. You'd think that with that long of a delay, it'd just drive a lot of people to just download it from a torrent site rather than wait that long.

Quote from: Amram on October 02, 2013, 02:56:29 PM
it does, and likely will continue to do so until they realise that the ability to share data from computer to computer regardless of geography has made it a global market regarding media, not merely a regional one.

Yarp - what you guys said.

It's a complex debate - and at best an inconsistent one.

It's not as bad as it used to be - when I was a kid in the '70's, 3-6 years was the norm to be behind (!), but when I moved from NZ to the UK in 2000, I found that the UK was 6 months behind the US TV shows we'd been watching.

These days some channels make a fuss about (certain shows) being so up-to-date with their program screening that you can watch US TV shows in NZ while the season is still screening in the US!!

On the flip side of all that, NZ has a small population - and there's only so many TV channels we can support. Specifically, three national ones and a whole slew of regional ones and music-on-a-loop (plus satellite channels like Sky et al) - so very often we simply don't get some shows (I enjoyed Saving Grace, but it never screened here and wasn't available locally - it's like it never existed here).

The ability to download TV shows that may never be available legally in NZ was a godsend - until the Three Strikes Law came about.

As noted elsewhere, the entertainment industry needs to bring it's distribution network into the 21st century.

I'd gladly pay to see the final season of Breaking Bad (no spoilers please!!) but it's crazy that I'll probably be able to order the DVD box set from Amazon before it screens here...

asmussen

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 02, 2013, 03:37:06 PM

I'd gladly pay to see the final season of Breaking Bad (no spoilers please!!) but it's crazy that I'll probably be able to order the DVD box set from Amazon before it screens here...

Well, aren't there some pay options that would work for you? Itunes has it, for example. Or are there regional restrictions on that as well?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/breaking-bad-season-5/id533936970

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/breaking-bad-the-final-season/id665386598

Shawn Asmussen

Cavemaniac

Quote from: asmussen on October 02, 2013, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 02, 2013, 03:37:06 PM

Well, aren't there some pay options that would work for you? Itunes has it, for example. Or are there regional restrictions on that as well?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/breaking-bad-season-5/id533936970

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/breaking-bad-the-final-season/id665386598

Now this is interesting - I was unaware it existed.

I usually avoid iTunes - I'm forced to interact with it to play my music on iPhone/iPod, but I don't enjoy the experience so I don't seek it out.

Some regional locks exist - it's really annoying when YouTube locks us out! - but I'll do some research.

And try to find another (non iTunes!) option.

Thanks for the heads-up.

For the first time in history the NZ$ is worth something against the US$ so we're not as isolated as we once were and we have options!

MizInIA

amc's web site says it is on amc.com, iTunes, Amazon Prime, netflix, and XBOX Live. funny HULU Plus was not mentioned since it was the add banner across the page.

Cavemaniac

Interesting distinction - iTunes says it's not available from iTunes NZ, but 'click here for the US store'.

And it seems to not have any region restrictions.

Will shop around for the best price!

;)

Interestingly, buying Amazon Kindle books, I can't get the UK editions in NZ - I have to buy US and they're often twice the price!

asmussen

Cool! I hope you manage to find an option that ends up working for you. It'd really suck to have to go the whole next year trying to avoid spoilers... :P
Shawn Asmussen

asmussen

I have the strangest feeling that the CW2 tournament may not get much more activity this week... :P
Shawn Asmussen

Cavemaniac

Quote from: asmussen on October 04, 2013, 03:03:18 PM
I have the strangest feeling that the CW2 tournament may not get much more activity this week... :P

True, true...

And it's kinda the end of an era too - while the format of the weekly challenge will translate nicely to CW3, the actual code name chosing will be horrendously different.

I mean, have you seen the names of CW3 DMD maps?

i.e.

BQBoMscC6bPaGE9xlTzBAMEABjMCOgGAVi4oABBAAEBgAAgIiADYYDDBAUAgYCAAKACkwkKvT+AFwAvAASAEIIBaodSk4ID8B8fIBAAHYIACIAqgR+BKAAQISYn1HwQgYMLGSkBJwgpAEIAjABzA/////////////////////////////////////////38AwP8/AMAAAAFAQEAAABkAAAAAGQAAAAAZAAAAAgA=

Not as much 'snap' as Walter White et al!

Grauniad

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 04, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

Easy solution. The person setting the game just has to win all 5, name them and voila!
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Grauniad on October 04, 2013, 06:32:49 PM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 04, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

Easy solution. The person setting the game just has to win all 5, name them and voila!

Yep - it'll be an awesome way of bringing cool DMD maps to a greater audience.

It's just the actual selecting process that will have to be finalized.

Perhaps something like the current system where we have a range of maps sizes and complexity, which can all be fine-tuned in the DMD.

Just not sure where to start - 'Walter White' was a good Code Map, but firing up the DMD isn't like typing in words in a theme, you need, essentially, numbers.

One thing, not an issue, but definitely a 'thing' is that the person who proposes the maps for the weekly challenge will not be able to play and complete the DMD maps in 'secret' as they'll show up on the DMD named list for anyone to enjoy - unless they're played and saved just before completion and saved and named just as the challenge goes live.

Or don't worry about it - just post it and all-comers welcome!

We'll sort it out and it'll be awesome.