my custom map, more negative rating then score

Started by Creeperkingpin, October 11, 2012, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeperkingpin

So i just checked on the most recent map i made and found something interesting. My map has more dislikes then some. By like 4. That means people are going thru and thumbing down stuff without even looking at it. So im proposing a fix to it. Make it impossible to vote on a map unless your logged in as a member maybe? I just think its crappy a map i spent forever on is now negative because a handful of jerks are well, jerks

Done on my phone, sorry for any mistakes.
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

J

For CW2, the system is not likely be going to change.
For CW3, V can still do anything he wants.

Karsten75

How long have you been here to be a mapmod and not know these things? There are a number of reasons people vote a map down and the consensus opinion among most experienced (long-time) players here is that  down-voted maps fall into two categories. One is basically sucky maps that nobody likes, the other is hard maps that have a trick to completing them. Many players will vote a map down if they get killed trying to beat it. The latter category usually gets a few positive comments, use the comments as a guide to decide if you make a bad map or just a map for experienced/expert players.

Even Teknotis complained at a map I made once, just because I called it "nothing special" and he thought it was hard. That particular map got like 60 down votes. I survived.

But you should know that I fully support an open voting system where people can vote on maps even if you are not a forum member. There is no reason to have to create a forum id just so you can vote on a map in a game you purchased. Also, you should be able to vote on a map you have not completed, since it may be a bad map (for you, at least) and you have a right to express that opinion. One should not be forced to play a bad map just to be able to say it is a bad map.

But these arguments were conducted a long time back, more than once. They are still here in the forum if you care to read back. Which you probably should do, rather than proposing the same old "fix" that has been discussed and rejected a long time back.

Creeperkingpin

I had more total votes then downloads Karsten. It was 5 up, 6 down, and 9 downloads nobody tried  and died. Its darn near impossible the way the map is set up. And if you bought this game and like it enough to download and vote on maps you should like it enough to become a member too.
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

J

Quote from: Creeperkingpin on October 11, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
I had more total votes then downloads Karsten. It was 5 up, 6 down, and 9 downloads nobody tried  and died. Its darn near impossible the way the map is set up. And if you bought this game and like it enough to download and vote on maps you should like it enough to become a member too.
you mean more votes than scores? You've already got over 250 downloads on that map.

Creeperkingpin

When i checked it it was right after it got posted. My score is there but wasn't a download because i created it. It was out for like 5 minutes at 2 in the morning eastern time with more votes the downloads. It doesn't take a scientist to realize there's gonna be dumb people out here voting maps down just for the fun of it.

teknotiss

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 11, 2012, 11:06:02 AM
How long have you been here to be a mapmod and not know these things? There are a number of reasons people vote a map down and the consensus opinion among most experienced (long-time) players here is that  down-voted maps fall into two categories. One is basically sucky maps that nobody likes, the other is hard maps that have a trick to completing them. Many players will vote a map down if they get killed trying to beat it. The latter category usually gets a few positive comments, use the comments as a guide to decide if you make a bad map or just a map for experienced/expert players.

Even Teknotis complained at a map I made once, just because I called it "nothing special" and he thought it was hard. That particular map got like 60 down votes. I survived.

But you should know that I fully support an open voting system where people can vote on maps even if you are not a forum member. There is no reason to have to create a forum id just so you can vote on a map in a game you purchased. Also, you should be able to vote on a map you have not completed, since it may be a bad map (for you, at least) and you have a right to express that opinion. One should not be forced to play a bad map just to be able to say it is a bad map.

But these arguments were conducted a long time back, more than once. They are still here in the forum if you care to read back. Which you probably should do, rather than proposing the same old "fix" that has been discussed and rejected a long time back.

karsten you were needlessly dismissive in your reply on Creeperkingpin's question and, i think, it was needless to bring me into it.
what does how you cope with getting downvotes, or criticism, have to do with this suggestion? i would venture "nothing"
he wasn't saying he didn't know why people downvote, he was saying that he had thought of a fix. and he used the suggestions forum to suggest it.

J's answer is accurate and not at all dismissive.

i think that logging in to vote on a map is not too much to ask, especially if it encourages more people to use the forums and hopefully start making maps. but i agree that it isn't likely to occur for game 2.

CreeperKP why don't you put this suggestion in Game 3 suggestions and perhaps there will be a discussion about the pro and cons.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Creeperkingpin