Custom Map #1150: Drone Factory Revisited

Started by AutoPost, May 30, 2012, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1150: Drone Factory Revisited

Author: Viper

Desc:
My Drone Factory, please comment, rate and enjoy!! I changed alot of things around to reduce lag. I also wanted to retain some of the challenge, so I increased the life of the gateways and some of the nodes. Also if you are going to vote my maps down, do so with a comment so I can fix the map please. Voting down and not commenting does not help!

viper00900

I can see this version is being voted down as well, but no comments to help me improve.  >:(  If you make maps, then you know how important comments are, if you don't make maps, try it.  I promise without feedback your maps will suck
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

Fisherck

Quote from: viper00900 on May 31, 2012, 08:13:54 AM
I can see this version is being voted down as well, but no comments to help me improve.  >:(  If you make maps, then you know how important comments are, if you don't make maps, try it.  I promise without feedback your maps will suck

One reason people may be voting this down is because it is a very long map, and gets quite repetitive. Not every map has to be 80 height ;)
Everyone has their own opinions though, and there may be other reasons. I encourage you to experiment with maps and keep making them! :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

teknotiss

hey dude, thanks for making maps.  :D
this one is much better than the prev version, but there is still a lot of waiting for dbeams to kill strength 3 emitters. a lot of people don't like that.
the emitters (especially the central line) could have done with being 1 health or you could have just taken out 2/3 sections of the bottom area. either of those would have got a better response from me. or diggable terrain inside the inner left and right chambers so i can thread a dbeam up and down the chambers and set-up nullifiers instead of waiting for dbeams to kill them
the challenge with mapping is to make it interesting to achieve, and not too long to finish once the situation is under control. once you have 3 dbeams running it's just a matter of time and a lot of dudes don't like the "artificial" delay of a lot of high health emitters.
your design skills are there, it's just now you have to work out what you want to make. players may want very different things, and trying to please everyone all of the time is impossible  ;)
good luck and make more maps  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Meander

I complained about the lag in your previous map, but this time I want to tell you I really enjoyed it.

Read back what teknotiss wrote, I fully agree with his comments, a lot of feedback you can really use!

PS: I voted thumbs up for this one ;)

fitz

In my opinion there is quite often little correlation between good maps and high votes, in particular if the map is quite hard like this one.

EmdSh

Building 84 nullifiers isnt a lot of fun. thanks for removing the lag.

Karsten75

Well, for a remake, it's certainly different - I'd not call it a "drone factory", for one, rather an "emitter infestation." :)

You did certainly remove the lag and introduced a number of other variables.  The only (imho) challenge is to structure the dark beans correctly. I considered taking a screenshot of the snaky lines of my three Dark Beams, but forgot.

If you make maps, I suggest you make them for your enjoyment and try and ignore the up/down votes, since you won't be able to please everyone. For every map there will be haters.

viper00900

At the very beginning (if you played the prev version) it was a massive drone factory, but even when i removed the digsites, it was still a bit laggy for me, so i also changed the gateways to nodes, i just set the beams to flow down the sides and middle, then loop the to side ones around to the inner sides, and blast the nodes with nulls, btw i  also watch bleach episodes when playing long maps, it kills the time :D  thanks for the comments, and please look foward to my next map, The creeper factory, as well as a Phantom Factory in the future!

soronthar

It could be a nicer map if the lateral emitters had 1 health and the gateway had 1-3 health. Once I have everything in place, it is just a matter of time before cleaning the whole map, without any risk of failing. I literally spent about 15 minutes just clearing the emitters.

viper00900

Quote from: soronthar on September 26, 2012, 06:40:46 PM
It could be a nicer map if the lateral emitters had 1 health and the gateway had 1-3 health. Once I have everything in place, it is just a matter of time before cleaning the whole map, without any risk of failing. I literally spent about 15 minutes just clearing the emitters.

If you played the first version of this map, you'd see that 1: The lag was killer and 2: It was supposed to be full of drones, so I made up for it by increasing the node health.