Discord Bot Discussion

Started by zackman0010, November 16, 2017, 04:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman0010

I am creating this topic to serve as the place for discussing ideas for the potential Discord Bot, moving the conversation over from Discord.

zackman0010

Ideas discussed in Discord so far:
Ninja wants to suggest a bot such as Mee6 in order to automatically provide the Citizen of Odin role, as well as allowing a few other helpful features.
Virgil said that a custom made self hosted bot would be preferable to allow the retrieval of scores from the database and other such features.

If we go with a custom bot, I'd like to volunteer to help write it. I've used NodeJS to write bots before, one of which sees regular use on a server I'm the admin of. NodeJS can easily be run alongside a webserver as well, so it wouldn't affect knucklecracker.com

GoodMorning

From my - admittedly limited - experience, the Mee6 bot is prone to causing talk for the sake of it.

I'd be interested to look at some code. I'm familiar with JS, though that knowledge may be somewhat out of date.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

zackman0010

You're probably right about Mee6. From what I've seen on some of the servers that use it, a lot of people like to maintain their position at the top of the leaderboards even if they don't really have anything to say.
As for seeing code, I can link you the bot I've written. It's written for Factorio server management, sending messages back and forth between Factorio servers and Discord.