Field Failure

Started by Arcady, May 01, 2012, 07:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcady

Greetings,
I've been playing for quite a long time, but I just recently started mapping. Right now I have a bit of a problem which I'm not able to solve, so I'm bringing it here in hopes that someone might have an idea.

The basic problem is this: My map has a moving level 1 pin field which goes to a location, grabs some anti-creeper, moves back to it's origin, and finally returns the anti-creeper to it's original position. Originally this was working properly and created an interesting effect. Right now though, it's grabbing more creeper than it should. Instead of grabbing only 5k of anti-creeper as a lvl 1 pin field should, it's grabbing the full amount available at the source location, in this case 100k. I increased the source location up to 1m and it still grabs the entire amount.

As I mentioned above, this effect was originally working perfectly and only started giving problems after I added a second level 1 moving pin field effect to the same location. While the second effect is technically active, it doesn't actually move any anti-creeper unless the first one is not, so only one effect is displayed at any given time.

In the same location, I have a Gateway set up as a digger which is blocked by anti-creeper. When the first effect is turned off, the anti-creeper blocking the digger is removed which should allow it to dig a pair of nearby blocks. The anti-creeper is removed properly, but the Gateway will not dig the blocks.

Here is an image displaying the amount of creeper contained in the moving level 1 pin field:

Here is an image showing the digger Gateway and the amount of creeper blocking it. Please note that it is a single sub-cell in the middle if the cell which does the job. At a certain point in time this is removed using a level 1 moving pin field which drops 5k of creeper into the spot and should free the Gateway to dig the blocks. The creeper is moved properly, but the digger will not dig.

The 'Initial Dig Delay' and 'Dig Interval' are both currently set to 1.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Arcady

Update:

I found that it was the presence of anti-creeper occupying the center sub-cell of the terrain to be dug which was preventing the Gateway from doing its job. I rearranged some things and fixed the Gateway digging problem.

I still do not know why my moving level 1 pin field is carrying more than 5000 anti-creeper.

Arcady

Update:

It's setting the moving pin fields to 'Drip Mode' that's allowing it to take more than the field defines. I did not think it would do this, but there it is. Removing the 'Drip Mode' from the fields allows it to work properly but it breaks other functionality.

I was under the impression that 'Drip Mode' would prevent it from running off with more creeper than it came in with, and thus allow me to stack multiple effects in the same location. I will have to do more testing it seems, but that will have to wait for later.

If anyone has insights they would like to share on this topic, please let me know.

J

1) You can edit your posts instead of posting again
2) Nice to see you fixed one of the problems yourself
3) ANY lvl 1 pin field shouldn't carry more than 5k (with or without drip mode)

mpete

can this happen on a new map?
have you tried deleting the field and remaking it?
unlikely to be this problem, do you have the latest map editor?
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

Ebon Heart

turn drip mode off. There's a bug with it in which any field can carry any amount of creeper. It involves having no creeper at it's starting location... but it could still cause issues here. I'm not sure. If you attach the file for the map on this thread, I may be able to help more.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Arcady

Thanks for the replies guys.

Turning off the drip mode has solved the issue. I had to rearrange some other things after-wards, but the problem is solved none-the-less.

Quote from: J on May 01, 2012, 01:45:21 PM
1) You can edit your posts instead of posting again

I'm aware. However, doing so does not alert anyone to the possibility of new information. Therefore, in these cases, a reply to the original post was a better choice ;)

In other news, I've been having a lot of fun putting this particular map together and I hope you guys will like what I've come up with. Might take awhile to finish though.

Ebon Heart

Can we get a full sized screenshot? (just press backspace)

Arcady

Quote from: Ebon Heart on May 01, 2012, 09:35:49 PM
Can we get a full sized screenshot? (just press backspace)

Not just yet. Soon perhaps. I don't really want to give away too much too early. Perhaps you wouldn't mind beta-testing it for me before I release it to the general public?

Ebon Heart

Not at all. I'm always happy to help a new mapmaker. And keep in mind that releasing teasers can build excitement for your maps early on. That's what I did/have been doing here. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=9535.0 and community reception is really good so far.