Custom Map #8242: Tseno Ureno 2. By: Martin Gronsdal

Started by AutoPost, March 24, 2020, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 27, 2020, 02:28:58 AM
Thought this was a pretty cool map... had a few not-crazy-challenging puzzles to it as well.

Tried doing the entire map with no pausing but the very end was a little tricky and it was getting late. Had to pause a few times to set the berthas.  :-[

I know a lot of people may not like the limits on the units, but you can build blasters and beams ad infinitum so go for it. It's not an easy map by any means, but it's cleverly done and isn't in the top 100 most difficult maps, that's for sure.

Well done, Martin - and thanks for taking the time to make a map that provides a little different kind of challenge!  ;D

Thank you for a very nice post and thank you for playing.

May I ask - how did you kill the inhibitor?
Also: I am bewildered by the fact that no one has pointed out what this map represents   ;)

marvinitfox

Tried this again today.
This time round, I had access to both Berthas(unlimited) and Forge.
That made it MUCH easier.

And yes, verified. Yesterday did not have access. The titans bar was empty.

Difficulty: Not so bad. (once i got over my brainfart about the neutralized)
I just prepped a lot of reactors before moving the Command across, without there is a bit of a nasty power crunch on relocating.
Killed the 3 accessible emitters before move.
The biggest challenge was killing the final, which with Berthas is just a bit of timing.
Without berthas, it was (almost) impossible. Wave upon wave of digi-killing cannons to protect the needed relay, while cannons surrounding the lake kill runners(but not digi, so my AC can invade onto their digi).
Took me 2hours+ yesterday, and then the score wouldn't save :(

Today, with Berthas.... 35 min or so.(over more than 4 hours realtime. I am *not* a fast worker, i pause all the time)

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 04:45:10 AM
Also: I am bewildered by the fact that no one has pointed out what this map represents   ;)

I've wondered about that.. googled the name, which refers to a Yiddish womens bible?
Don't understand the reference/relevance though.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: marvinitfox on March 27, 2020, 06:35:32 AM
Tried this again today.
This time round, I had access to both Berthas(unlimited) and Forge.
That made it MUCH easier.

And yes, verified. Yesterday did not have access. The titans bar was empty.

Difficulty: Not so bad. (once i got over my brainfart about the neutralized)
I just prepped a lot of reactors before moving the Command across, without there is a bit of a nasty power crunch on relocating.
Killed the 3 accessible emitters before move.
The biggest challenge was killing the final, which with Berthas is just a bit of timing.
Without berthas, it was (almost) impossible. Wave upon wave of digi-killing cannons to protect the needed relay, while cannons surrounding the lake kill runners(but not digi, so my AC can invade onto their digi).
Took me 2hours+ yesterday, and then the score wouldn't save :(

Today, with Berthas.... 35 min or so.(over more than 4 hours realtime. I am *not* a fast worker, i pause all the time)

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 04:45:10 AM

I've wondered about that.. googled the name, which refers to a Yiddish womens bible?
Don't understand the reference/relevance though.

Thank you for playing

Do you recognize the shape of the map? Think of a country

Johnny Haywire

I didn't rush this map at all. Once I'd established a foothold on the big island I let the forge max out while I did some work stuff.

With every skill maxed and a CN energy storage of close to 10,000, once you pop the emitters and build a few PZ berthas it's pretty easy to finish. I only built 5 PZ berthas, but you can build at least 7.

The CN has plenty of energy to power 5 blasters and the nullifier at the end, so I didn't stay connected to the grid when I moved the CN next to the inhibitor. You *can" do both if you really want (by hovering), but I only do that when necessary. The easy way (to me) was to disarm the berthas to let them fully charge (2 shots each), then move the CN next to the inhibitor with 5 cannons blasting away (initially set to "creeper" to clear a space, then "digitalis"), then keep things at a distance by hitting above and below with 1 single bertha shot each.

I attempted the first approach without pausing, but couldn't arm the berthas in the right timing sequence on the first try, so I flew back, re-armed them and tried again with pausing a couple times. Maybe someone's fast enough to do it, but pausing in this case only takes a few seconds so I didn't mind. I didn't feel threatened enough to save the game at any point along the way. I like that it's challenging but not so much that you get to the "Oh no! I'm totally going to lose this!" point.

Sorry for not recognizing the country. Since I was in school there have been probably a few hundred little countries popping up all over and I just can't keep them all straight. I remember back when the Persian Empire collapsed and that Alexander guy came through and gave us education and stuff... yeah that was great but then the dude died and they split up his kingdom. That's when geography started getting confusing and it's been that way ever since.  :P

I dunno. It kinda looks like a mirror image of California to me. Or maybe Argentina. But that's just my ignorance of not knowing every country coupled with my inaptitude for art. I'm sure it's drawn well!  ;)

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 07:03:35 AM

Hmm.
It could be a stylized Israel. With an increased Golan heights and the west bank turned into a swamp?

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: marvinitfox on March 27, 2020, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 07:03:35 AM

Hmm.
It could be a stylized Israel. With an increased Golan heights and the west bank turned into a swamp?

Top score in geography to..... marvinitfox

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 27, 2020, 11:55:13 AM
I didn't rush this map at all. Once I'd established a foothold on the big island I let the forge max out while I did some work stuff.

With every skill maxed and a CN energy storage of close to 10,000, once you pop the emitters and build a few PZ berthas it's pretty easy to finish. I only built 5 PZ berthas, but you can build at least 7.

The CN has plenty of energy to power 5 blasters and the nullifier at the end, so I didn't stay connected to the grid when I moved the CN next to the inhibitor. You *can" do both if you really want (by hovering), but I only do that when necessary. The easy way (to me) was to disarm the berthas to let them fully charge (2 shots each), then move the CN next to the inhibitor with 5 cannons blasting away (initially set to "creeper" to clear a space, then "digitalis"), then keep things at a distance by hitting above and below with 1 single bertha shot each.

I attempted the first approach without pausing, but couldn't arm the berthas in the right timing sequence on the first try, so I flew back, re-armed them and tried again with pausing a couple times. Maybe someone's fast enough to do it, but pausing in this case only takes a few seconds so I didn't mind. I didn't feel threatened enough to save the game at any point along the way. I like that it's challenging but not so much that you get to the "Oh no! I'm totally going to lose this!" point.

Sorry for not recognizing the country. Since I was in school there have been probably a few hundred little countries popping up all over and I just can't keep them all straight. I remember back when the Persian Empire collapsed and that Alexander guy came through and gave us education and stuff... yeah that was great but then the dude died and they split up his kingdom. That's when geography started getting confusing and it's been that way ever since.  :P

I dunno. It kinda looks like a mirror image of California to me. Or maybe Argentina. But that's just my ignorance of not knowing every country coupled with my inaptitude for art. I'm sure it's drawn well!  ;)

Thank you for superb explanation. What do you mean by hoovering?

Map is supposed to look like Israel. West landing zone is Tel Aviv, east is Jerusalem.  Where the CN came from is Europe, with most refugees that actually established that country came from.

Johnny Haywire

QuoteWhat do you mean by hoovering?

Ah, I just looked again and realized you can't hover the CN because you need two places to land in order to hover. Hovering is when you start to fly the CN but then reverse course, then reverse course again, etc. so the CN just "hovers" where it is. It's a meticulous process when you're speed-running a map and you hover directly over what you're building so it builds slightly faster.

QuoteIt could be a stylized Israel

Ah! Of course! That's why it had so many holes in it... it's the Holey Land!  :o :P ::) (Sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist)

I should've recognized it, although the shape of Israel I'm used to looks a little different.  Nice artwork there!

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 02:34:58 PM
Map is supposed to look like Israel. West landing zone is Tel Aviv, east is Jerusalem.  Where the CN came from is Europe, with most refugees that actually established that country came from.
And true to life, Gaza strip is harmless but an unassailable pain in the butt.
Golan is a point of contention, but can be taken
And West Bank needs a very careful approach to prevent failure.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: marvinitfox on March 28, 2020, 02:35:28 AM
Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on March 27, 2020, 02:34:58 PM
And true to life, Gaza strip is harmless but an unassailable pain in the butt.
Golan is a point of contention, but can be taken
And West Bank needs a very careful approach to prevent failure.

Exactly

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 28, 2020, 12:47:51 AM
QuoteWhat do you mean by hoovering?

Ah, I just looked again and realized you can't hover the CN because you need two places to land in order to hover. Hovering is when you start to fly the CN but then reverse course, then reverse course again, etc. so the CN just "hovers" where it is. It's a meticulous process when you're speed-running a map and you hover directly over what you're building so it builds slightly faster.

QuoteIt could be a stylized Israel

Ah! Of course! That's why it had so many holes in it... it's the Holey Land!  :o :P ::) (Sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist)

I should've recognized it, although the shape of Israel I'm used to looks a little different.  Nice artwork there!

Holey cow!

Johnny Haywire

QuoteHoley cow!

Wait, that's India isn't it?  ;D

Martin Gronsdal

Johnny Haywire