Map making tournament

Started by Krell, June 01, 2011, 02:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyP2000

I am not the best CW1 map maker, but even I have some ideas as to make bosses both dangerous to fight off when first starting, and hard to push back and destroy. 
Vote Tony!

Krell

The best bosses are the ones that make the player pause and just stare at the screen for a minute mumbling "what just happened?"

Sqaz

Quote from: Krell on June 02, 2011, 11:04:06 AM
The best bosses are the ones that make the player pause and just stare at the screen for a minute mumbling "what just happened?"

Oh and me thinking I was playing this game for the tactical fun of finding a way to make my LS survive by balancing the militairy and civilian ratio of my buidlings. ;)

Quote from: TonyP2000 on June 02, 2011, 10:58:43 AM
I am not the best CW1 map maker, but even I have some ideas as to make bosses both dangerous to fight off when first starting, and hard to push back and destroy. 
Quote from: Krell on June 02, 2011, 10:47:59 AM
You underestimate the creativity of Ebon and I. There are plenty of ways to make bosses dangerous.

I'm most anxiously awaiting the map editor to see all these great ideas. But know that a lot of maps of which the author thought that it were expert maps got beaten without any problems by a trick or just casual gameplay.
I must say secretly I'm looking forward to seeing these maps as much as I don't want them to appear.

But for curiosity's sake what are your ideas?
Maybe it are things I never thought of, in which case I'll admit that boss maps can be better than other ones.

Krell

lol I'm not sure if I should share or not, for I fear someone might take my ideas.

Sqaz

Quote from: Krell on June 02, 2011, 11:24:57 AM
lol I'm not sure if I should share or not, for I fear someone might take my ideas.

There is always a difference between knowing an idea and making a map out of it.
I'm pretty sure that all reading this will prefer making there own maps than using someone else's idea.
You also will be one of the first, being a forum regular, to use the editor, so you probably will already have the map ready before someone can copy it.
And why are you so afraid of it, plagiatry is the sincerest form of flattery. No map from someone else can be as good as one of which you found the idea by yourself.

And most important: I'm bloody curious now ;D

xing

I have I idea for a really stupid boss .. but hopefully a little challenging and fun too :D

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on June 02, 2011, 04:47:12 AM
CW2 of course offers a lot more possibilities, but since the Nexus destroys almost all stuff when ready, and to make it even somewhat beatable you must contain it in Level 4 fields and supply you with Dark Beams and CB's so creeper nor drones are any problem, I don't think many great end boss maps will be made.
With a lot of fields you can of course also make great end bosses but knowing some of the people here using a Nexus (maybe even two) will be the general rule. Not to mention the fact that every moving field can be stopped by using shields.

I don't think the Nexus (because it's too weak) nor the Dark Beam (because it's too strong) will be included in many custom maps, unless applied in a very smart way.

Yes, shields can block moving fields, but drones have shields for breakfast. Apart from that you can't build shields when there's already Creeper at that location....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Krell

lol fine fine. my boss is going to have lots of annoying skills and it's likely to be a very long fight. Going to have the boss re-absorb creeper so less is wasted, going to put some serious time and effort into some tentacles to hassle you and destroy packets, a creeper beam, a really powerful spell that will really mess up the player, along with some other things as well that may make the boss beyond most players. I'm hoping to make a boss so hard that only 5-10 players beat it.

Kithros

The main problem I anticipate with most of the boss fights, is that they will be made to do illogical/stupid things that are completely impossible to anticipate, and make good plays turn into bad plays - like, if a boss randomly teleports creeper into your base and kills all your reactors, and you were supposed to know exactly where it was teleporting the creeper to and make shields around it... that is not good design whatsoever. It would need to be designed in a way that the boss doesn't do things that are completely unpredictable, but still have enough abilities that it doesn't get dull. Having some strong drones appear occasionally is pretty much a necessity or shields will make it really easy.

Krell

Lol, bosses are meant to be played multiple times. You aren't supposed to beat a boss the first time around Kithros. If you do you're either really really good, lucky, or a cheater. The best boss fights are the ones you get closer to winning each time around until you finally win and get to taste sweet victory.

Kithros

Quote from: Krell on June 03, 2011, 01:03:56 PM
Lol, bosses are meant to be played multiple times. You aren't supposed to beat a boss the first time around Kithros. If you do you're either really really good, lucky, or a cheater. The best boss fights are the ones you get closer to winning each time around until you finally win and get to taste sweet victory.

That is the main part of my point. If someone is a *perfect* player, then they should be able to beat the map even if they haven't played it before. Given that the players will not know how the fields move and such though at the start of the map (to some extent common sense/text in missions can cover this, but not always), if the map is not designed carefully it is quite possible that someone who plays the game perfectly given what they know will still lose because of things that are impossible to anticipate.

Krell

ok how about I put it this way. I could tell you exactly how my boss is going to work and you're still not going to be able to stop most of it. I could always place a holocube on the map, but it won't change much.

mthw2vc

While I admit, I like a tough fight, I only like the fair ones... Any gimmicks should be either predictable or possible to recover from. A battle that is genuinely very difficult against a flowing and dynamic enemy that plays by the rules is fun. A battle that requires playing 5-7 times just to figure out how to avoid losing to the enemy's "special move" is ridiculous. To put it this way, I don't want to be tricked into thinking I'm doing well only to find out later that I had to move my base to the other end of the map by 8:45 or lose to a huge amount of creeper teleporting in. The boss's moves must make sense and be to a reasonable extent predictable.

Krell

lol how about this: Rest assured, for anything that will do severe enough damage you will be warned beforehand via holocube, though odds are it won't make any difference since most of it is going to be near impossible to prevent anyways.

crazyone76

I have soon so many great ideas.
9/10 of those ideas are rushed into a map
(including some of my maps in cw1)
so even if your idea is good, I'm almost certain it will not be what you expected of it in your head
and if your map is unbeatable..... you cant realy submit it becuase you need to validate it.
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!