Custom Map #139: Experiment 14. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, October 09, 2016, 01:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #139: Experiment 14

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 384x200

Desc:
Experiment 14 was sent to Sector 14a for in combat testing. The sector was scanned, showing only the lightest of particle resistance. Soon after the test started, contact with the testing Platform & 14 was lost. HQ and a quick response fleet was sent to investigate. Good luck.

PMouser

help please, how do you beat those cannons? i cant beat them they defeated me even in one honk
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

chwooly

I just want to see the video of the 8min win.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 09:52:27 AM
I just want to see the video of the 8min win.

I'll wait to see what times more experienced players reach before commenting on a 8.5min time.

Quote from: PMouser on October 09, 2016, 05:45:06 AM
help please, how do you beat those cannons? i cant beat them they defeated me even in one honk

Please be more specific? There's a whole bunch of cannons in this map :D
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

Also, I would love to hear from people that rated the map below 6.

Why were you unhappy with it?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

chwooly

Overall once I got past the rage quit stage due to losing my HQ 3 times for no discernible reason it was not a bad map, I do find that I truly dislike plasma especially when it is dropped by particles.
Spoiler
With the massive particle explosion at 9 mins the whole map is covered with plasma. Might as well just start that way.
[close]
The other problem is the lack of tankers on your maps. That means I have to spend more time than I would like shuttleing lathes around and with lots of particles that means I am really building lathes constantly
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 11:41:53 AM
Overall once I got past the rage quit stage due to losing my HQ 3 times for no discernible reason it was not a bad map, I do find that I truly dislike plasma especially when it is dropped by particles.
Spoiler
With the massive particle explosion at 9 mins the whole map is covered with plasma. Might as well just start that way.
[close]
The other problem is the lack of tankers on your maps. That means I have to spend more time than I would like shuttleing lathes around and with lots of particles that means I am really building lathes constantly

Experiment 14 has a port. If you can control your energy properly, you can use that. Also, there's a free amp gem at the beginning (it's allocated as Mine Cannon) reallocate to energy. ;)

But thanks for the critique!

chwooly

Because of the lack of energy, I didn't use EXP 14 or the Star base until the end game, I actually destroyed them when I probably should have just clicked don't build but even with don't build on I have seen ships get supplied so figured it was the easier way to do it.

I did find the amp gem and thought that was nice touch having it hidden like that.
― Robert A. Heinlein

Aletx

It's not a bad map, but as someone who prefer speedy push/expand, the map sorta punishes that playstyle.
Spoiler
Especially when the "third bomb" went off while my fleet is trying to lock down the double flip emitters... unexpected gameover is not pleasant lol
[close]

Even with the energy tech, the big ships are just energy blackhole. I literally toggle off all the weapons except fighters on Exp 14, and just used it as a shielded meatshield

Sorrontis

Quote from: Aletx on October 09, 2016, 01:21:33 PM
It's not a bad map, but as someone who prefer speedy push/expand, the map sorta punishes that playstyle.
Spoiler
Especially when the "third bomb" went off while my fleet is trying to lock down the double flip emitters... unexpected gameover is not pleasant lol
[close]

Even with the energy tech, the big ships are just energy blackhole. I literally toggle off all the weapons except fighters on Exp 14, and just used it as a shielded meatshield

Yes, that is a valid point. For early out expanders, this map is quite mean. Btw, it is possible to stop the third explosion, first & second not so much.

D0m0nik

The 8.5 min time is defo possible but very impressive. I wasted loads of time at 13 mins as I did not notice the inhibitor unit (I can't remember what it is called in PF!) and was trying to take islands I could have ignored.

The start is very critical and does suit a speed player but you have to get it right, I took 6 or 7 attempts before I was happy.

Spoiler
The key is to go straight for the two flip emitters to the east, you must secure these and hold on to your platform and two lathes before the enemy ship comes round. Ignore the week emitters until you are set and the Unit 14 is ready. Don't build anythign else for a while.
The use of gems was the difference in each of my initial attempts, they are so important on this map, more than on any other I have played. The first one I removed from mine cannon and put on defence structures, the energy mines you have then have lathes and do a lot of early work for you in activating energy deposits and taking care of a few land based emitters.
[close]

Really great map again and worthy of a much higher score than it will get.

Slurr

I did find the default ships to be somewhat lacking and not suited well to the fast particles bouncing everywhere. The auto cannons have too much shot power making tanking their shots almost impossible. Random high power shots 2-shot the HQ. No idea why it's necessary for a dead HQ to be an instant fail here.

chwooly

Quote from: Slurr on October 09, 2016, 06:37:46 PM
I did find the default ships to be somewhat lacking and not suited well the the fast particles bouncing everywhere. The auto cannons have too much shot power making tanking their shots almost impossible. Random high power shots 2-shot the HQ. No idea why it's necessary for a dead HQ to be an instant fail here.

Ahh now I know what killed my HQ. Never thought of that, But the last time I played I did hide it behind a couple of of other ships. Of course this lowered my available fleet and probably made the map harder then it should have been
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Thank you all for your input.  Seriously, I appreciate it.

I did find the default ships to be somewhat lacking and not suited well the the fast particles bouncing everywhere. The auto cannons have too much shot power making tanking their shots almost impossible. Random high power shots 2-shot the HQ. No idea why it's necessary for a dead HQ to be an instant fail here.

I am a big fan of "possible loss" maps. The only way that is possible is with either HQ loss or a special PRPL system. Now, the defense cannons were powerful, meaning you had to sacrifice many ships to move forwards.

Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 06:52:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Ahh now I know what killed my HQ. Never thought of that, But the last time I played I did hide it behind a couple of of other ships. Of course this lowered my available fleet and probably made the map harder then it should have been

Yes, the point was that the HQ needed to be protected at the beginning, but it is possible to leave it in safety once you have completely secured the lower left corner. :D

chwooly

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 09, 2016, 07:13:20 PM
Thank you all for your input.  Seriously, I appreciate it.

I am a big fan of "possible loss" maps. The only way that is possible is with either HQ loss or a special PRPL system. Now, the defense cannons were powerful, meaning you had to sacrifice many ships to move forwards.

Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 06:52:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Yes, the point was that the HQ needed to be protected at the beginning, but it is possible to leave it in safety once you have completely secured the lower left corner. :D

It would have been nice if there was some way to know that was the culprit. I kept looking for particles and there were none when I died haha
― Robert A. Heinlein