Hardest map?

Started by Karsten75, August 27, 2010, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Hmmm.. I don't even recall playing that map, yet I have a score?

Edit: Yet now that I am playing it, I recall that map well...   ???

ontheworld

kar, it was the january 0 9999 i were talking about in chat, seems like the map was very close by  ;)

IcEcAt

this Dec 31, 9998 map was quite fun. thank you for pointing it out.

RandyTravis

So far the hardest Chronom Map I've played.

December 28th, 1908

You're in a downright terrible position, the only high ground is overrun almost immediately, the upgrades are borderline impossible to reach in time (except 1), and there are spores. Good luck.

RandyTravis

Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2010, 02:11:00 PM
I think I found a really hard one, it's Februari 29 2800, almost no starting terrain, no possibility to move your city closer to the totems so you'll have to cross a whole open plain.

There are no buttons to push. There are no buttons not to push. All perish here.

19wolf

For the life of me, I can't figure out what to do about May 19, 2006...
Any help?

UpperKEES

Quote from: 19wolf on September 23, 2010, 08:39:37 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out what to do about May 19, 2006...
Any help?

What a great map! Probably the hardest Chronom map I've played till now (at least the start is). Thanks for finding it! Still looking for the first unbeatable map....  8)

Although I think a slow build up in the bottom left corner is also possible, I've chosen for a rather aggressive start (see screenshot below).

First I built a collector to the first upgrade (and of course select the -10% building costs). Then I built 3 blasters (in this case the minimum required to clear the space near the emitters and cap at least one of them). The blasters will just be finished when the creeper destroys your collector. Send the blasters to the second emitter and send Odin City a little later so it won't take too much damage and is able to collect some more energy before taking off. When the space got cleared disable one blaster. Let one other cap the emitter and use the last one to control the creeper from the left emitter (and cap it later on). Build collector by collector to the second upgrade on the left. When you've used all space available add more reactors. (I overbuilt terribly, so a time below 10 minutes is definitely possible). Build blasters to cap the last 3 emitters, which will be a piece of cake. Use Odin City to connect to the bottom totem for a fast time.

Good luck! :)

Edit: I just tried a relaxed start in the bottom left corner and this is certainly possible as well (see screenshot below).

As you can see the build up is a lot slower, so in this case it pays off to be aggressive (capping blasters use less energy than blasters firing continuously).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Colin

hard map = October 9, 0000    :o

first time I tried I died  ::)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

mpl

July 31, 2134. I can't beat it.

UpperKEES

burguertime

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: mpl on November 28, 2010, 07:05:55 PM

Thanks for that one! :) Very nice hard map!

Very hard. Had to solve this in a sky high fashion.

I tried three times to make a reactor farm and hold my ground with blasters, but I could not get enough energy to power four blasters (the amount I guessed would be needed to hold the creeper from the city).
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Colin

I don't have enough time to play it right now but. . . July 8th 2011 looks hard.  ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Katra

Quote from: burguertime on December 03, 2010, 09:43:08 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: mpl on November 28, 2010, 07:05:55 PM

Thanks for that one! :) Very nice hard map!

Very hard. Had to solve this in a sky high fashion.

I tried three times to make a reactor farm and hold my ground with blasters, but I could not get enough energy to power four blasters (the amount I guessed would be needed to hold the creeper from the city).

I tried three blasters, then 2 and a drone to cut the creeper off at the pass. Still couldn't get enough energy. In the end I think I found the same solution you did.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Grauniad

I'm embarrassed to admit that I tried playing this map - several times. I finally managed to beat it with such a poor score that I'm not going to post it. Nor am I going to attempt improving my score, because I doubt I can take off more than maybe 5 minutes. and that won't cut it either.

I'm truly impressed with the <10 minute score on this map. Shows true dedication to the "cause."
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Thanks Grauniad. :)

I tried 4 times before I succeeded. I started as aggressive as possible: flying OC + 2 blasters to the emitters on the right. This wasn't enough, so I tried with 3 blasters and failed again. When 2 blasters + 1 mortar also didn't work I decided to build up my economy with OC in the air for a while. I never tried defending myself in the top left corner, because that would probably take tons of energy to defend myself.

Because it's rather tedious to keep OC flying I wanted to make sure it would work out immediately and this is why I overbuilt terribly; I could have done with at least 6 reactors and 2 blasters less, so probably a time around 7:30 should be possible.