CW1 progress lost.

Started by Jerdog, July 30, 2013, 10:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerdog

I seem to have lost all my Creeper World Data:  All progress on story mode (so can't do today's Chronom), all scores for custom maps are gone too, but the maps are there. 

Any fix?

Grauniad

Which version of the game do you have? I recall a fix in either CW1 or CW2 for an issue with the gameData.dat file if it grew to >64KB.

Other than that, I hope you have a backup.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

J

In CW2 that bug was fixed. Have you played a lot of maps?

Jerdog

Sorry forgot to mention: CW1.  Intro screen says ver 0572

I have played many many maps.  Around 700 custom maps and about the same for Chronom.  All I did yesterday was play one chronom so the odds of hitting a memory threshold are low.

I saw that CW2 had been fixed.

Grauniad

Well, the patch for CW1 says 632. http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/patches.php

It had to do with the size of the file on disk. When that exceeded 64KBytes, the file got corrupted and the game creates it anew. Nothing to do with RAM memory.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

Look at this file on your machine:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\CreeperWorld\gameData.dat

That's where your progress is stored.  If that file is very small (like just a few kilobytes), then your progress has been wiped out.  This can happen because the file became corrupt (from a range of possible reasons from hard drive problems, power outages, other applications, etc), or because the file got deleted for some reason.

If you happen to have a system backup, that is the file you want to restore....

Jerdog

Well thanks for your help.  It looks like the gamedata.dat file got reset  :(

I wonder if it was the 64kb file size, since it is 1kb now.

On the plus side I now have the latest patch.