Lagging in Particle Fleet

Started by Neoshade, August 04, 2019, 11:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neoshade

Hi All,
I'm getting massive lag (like single digit FPS) in many of the larger maps and all of the newer "Good Morning" custom-scipt omni maps.
It's really awful, and I'm not sure how to fix it short of rebuilding my computer.
My PC isn't very old,  3-4 years maybe. I've got 12GB of DDR3 RAM on an Intel Core-i5 2500k 3.3Ghz processor. (quad core, LGA 1155, Sandy Bridge). SSD C: drive and a 3 year-old Nvidia card that has no problem running Call of Duty WWII or other new-ish games.

Is there a way to assign additional resources to Particle Fleet or enable multi-threading or something to improve performance?

Karsten75

Just for the sae of accuracy, the Intel i5 3500K, while tremendous stand-out in terms of performance, is in fact much older than you indicated - it was availabe between 1Q 2011 and 1Q 2013., when Intel discontinued making them. I recall them well, I in fact had one of those. :)

Much of Particle Fleet is processor-based and is single-threaded, as with many older games.

Large maps with large numbers of particles is bound to be problematic. Mire adds to that.

As for GoodMorning's maps, I'll alert him to this thread and maybe he can provide insight into that aspect.

Edit: Some of the Discord mods observed that there are performance-sensitive options you can turn off and that may improve your experience.

GoodMorning

Oh. Um ...

Sorry, the problem is not on your end. When I wrote that script, it was a novelty thing, and not meant to be used in bulk. So it's inefficient and does some things that turned out not to be much use at all (like looking at the entire area underneath it for mire, not just the middle).

Then it turned out to be fun. And existing maps can't be edited.

Perhaps someday I'll open the can of worms that is the script, but for existing maps, it's not fixable.

(It's nice to hear that you're enjoying the maps enough to ask, though.)

Edit: I did open that can of worms a while ago, but the problem seems to be more about the geometry than the scripting. So while newer maps are better, they're still not good.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Neoshade

Thank you Karsten and GoodMorning.
You are right Karsten. I am getting old and time is slipping by faster... My PC is 7 years old! It's about time for a new mobo & CPU.

Goodmorning: I once programmed in Flash Actionscript - I know what you mean. Not all languages and situations lend themselves to efficiency.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯