Official Greenlight Topic for CW3

Started by knucracker, November 04, 2013, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eduran

A lot of people who want to support a specific game on Greenlight downvote everything else (or at least everything that looks like competition) in hopes of increasing 'their' game's chances of getting through. I don't think the no votes matter a lot, as long as you are not drowning in them.

knucracker

Yeah the biggest criticism of greenlight is that it's a thunderdome for games (Mad Max style). It puts games at each and creates this kind of potential down voting situation. I also choose to believe that the no votes don't really directly matter.  But indirectly they of course lower the potential yes votes since there are finite visitors.

And the no votes don't seem unusual compared to the average of the top 50. The ratio for cw3 of yes/no is slightly better in fact.

Grauniad

All games have a huge "no" vote. In fact CW3 seems to have fewer "No" votes than the norm. We speculate that the reason for that is that Virgil is not just relying on the players at Steam that may be unfamiliar with the game, but he is pulling in players from here and his Twitter followers who all vote "Yes", hopefully.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Any updates? The Gemcraft post has already drove some people to the page.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

knucracker

We're at over 4500 yes votes and at 50% of the way to the top 100.  That's in 20 days on Greenlight.  The sustained slope of our Yes line is at or greater than any of the other game lines I see.  That means that over time, we're going catch up to those top ten games.

CobraKill

Awesome. Let's hope the rate of votes continues.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

knucracker

A load of games just got greenlit a few days ago, so that clears out some of the queue (there are still over 1400 games in the queue, though).  Anyway, CW3 has enjoyed an increase in the rate of steam votes over the last few days and I have no idea why.  I normally send a steady, but minimal, stream of votes to the page because of that banner that you see at the top of this web page (and on all of the knucklecracker.com pages).  But right now the exposure must be coming from within the steam greenlight system itself.  Maybe CW3 is closer to the front of the list of game so it is getting more exposure.  But it is still more than 5 pages back from the front page.  Maybe there is some popular list that CW3 has been added to....  I'm just not sure.  Anyone else have any insights?

Clean0nion

Possibly word of mouth? Reviews by the gemcraft guy? Other online advertising that you had nothing to do with? Maybe some hotshot youtuber had a go at the game.

knucracker

For all of those I would likely see the same increase in knucklecracker.com site traffic (actually, I'd like see a much larger spike in site traffic).  I also don't see any google alerts for CW3 that point to anything that would generate this kind of exposure.  The source seems to be coming from within steam itself.

The closest correlation I have made to anything is to this collection : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93436534
CW3 was added to this collection a few days ago so it is on the last page of items.

Kingo

I am pretty sure CW3 has the most original game concept out of all the others... no bias!
I tried to vote, but because I didn't "buy" any games I am not able to vote :(.

Grauniad

You can buy any $0.99 game and get the ability to vote.. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

amok

You do not even need to buy a game, just activate one.

If you have ever bought / got gifted for example a Humble Bundle, Indie Royale or something similar, the chances are that there is steam keys for at least one game there. All you need to do is activate it.

------------------------

may I also ask VirgilW what the stats are now after the latest batch got greenlit?

knucracker

That last image I posted a few posts back is pretty close.  It was taken after the last batch got greenlit.  As of right now, the yes total is 5894.  That total needs to be in the 7000-8000 range before things start to get interesting.  Currently, less than half of the potential steam users (based on the average number of visitors of the top 50 games) have visited and voted on the game.  Once the full lot have visited, CW3's total should be over 10000 yes votes.... the trick is getting the full collection of potential voters to visit and vote....

Jacobkolstad

Quote from: virgilw on December 09, 2013, 08:43:09 AM
That last image I posted a few posts back is pretty close.  It was taken after the last batch got greenlit.  As of right now, the yes total is 5894.  That total needs to be in the 7000-8000 range before things start to get interesting.  Currently, less than half of the potential steam users (based on the average number of visitors of the top 50 games) have visited and voted on the game.  Once the full lot have visited, CW3's total should be over 10000 yes votes.... the trick is getting the full collection of potential voters to visit and vote....
Still lots of no votes I guess?

Kilobyte

Quote from: Jacobkolstad on December 10, 2013, 06:24:44 AM
Still lots of no votes I guess?
Quote from: Grauniad on November 19, 2013, 09:00:50 AM
All games have a huge "no" vote. In fact CW3 seems to have fewer "No" votes than the norm. We speculate that the reason for that is that Virgil is not just relying on the players at Steam that may be unfamiliar with the game, but he is pulling in players from here and his Twitter followers who all vote "Yes", hopefully.