Silicon Nomads

Started by Equinox, December 09, 2016, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Silicon Nomads

Welcome back.

With that being said, your survival of such a journey is impressive; even more so that you returned. Might we request a copy of your logs?

Given that you will likely have encountered one or more of the nearby realities, you will probably have use for one or more of the attached designs which exploit their physical differences from this. Although we appreciate that you will probably not wish to return in person to test them out.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

TripleKings

The Endurance receives the transmission.

Gray: What are Vitastrae...?

Rhodes: Particulate?

Jade: More importantly, they encountered and navigated an anomaly like we did!

Rhodes: Better than we did. They've taken very little damage.

Gray: I'll put this to a vote... Who thinks we should tell them about our journey through an anomaly?

Jade, West, Oliver, and Rhodes each raise a hand.

Gray: And who thinks we should keep that information hidden?

Ahkai, Enodus, and Leah each raise one hand.

Gray: Looks like we're telling them... Jade, prepare a data file of our navigational data from our anomaly.

Jade: No problem.

Gray starts recording a transmission.

transmission

Gray: Hello, Silicon Nomads. This... Quagmire... We've dealt with something like it before. Phoenix Corporation is not from this universe. We entered an anomaly and its singularity would have killed us, if not for our gravitational drive lessening the force placed on the Endurance.

Gray hesitates for a brief moment.

Gray: When we entered this universe, we were all but crippled. If you'd like, we can transfer the logs of our travel through the anomaly.

West glances toward Gray.

West: Should we tell them about--

Gray turns to face him, shaking his head.

Gray: No. We're not risking going into another fight because of that.

He turns back to the camera.

Gray: What are the Vitastrae and particulate?
[close]

Gray ends the recording and sends the transmission.

Ahkai: Are you sure this was wise?

Gray: Honestly? No. But at this point, it's not about what's wise. It's about survival.
When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in your enemies' eyes!

Equinox

:::Incoming message:::
:::Originator: Rising Star:::
:::AI/Organic interface subroutines booted:::
:::Encryption algorithms online:::
:::Formulating Response:::

Greeting: It's been a long time, hasn't it? After all that's happened, it's good to see a friendly face. I'm glad Rising Star weathered the destructive events that have been plauging the galaxy.

Statement: We will be glad to provide you with copies of our sensor logs. I'm not sure how much good they will do you though, as even now, much of the data still looks like gibberish to me. The laws of physics in that alternate universe were alien, and it caused numerous errors in my programming to directly observe them. Our equipment was simply not compatible with the different reality. I needed a nice, long diagnostic after returning to root all the errors out. Still, I hope you're able to make more sense of the data than I could.

Gratitude: Despite this difficulty, we're still interested in the multidimensional sciences. Your offer of designs comes at a most opportune time. We would be glad to lease them from you, though funds are thin at the moment. The Hydraxil fleet destroyed much of our military hardware when they invaded. We are still rebuilding. And you are correct. We have no desire to return to the alternate dimension, but we may send remote drones to scout out different realities in the future.

:::End Message:::

:::Incoming message:::
:::Originator: Gray Ulrich, Phoenix Corporation:::
:::AI/Organic interface subroutines booted:::
:::Encryption algorithms online:::
:::Formulating Response:::

Startlement: You... come from a different universe? An alternate reality?

Request: Processing. Please wait a moment.

:::Message paused:::

Overseer AI Equinox:
Query: Did you hear that? Alyssa, scan them. Dimensional analysis please.

Physics Director Alyssa:
On it... ... ... Scan complete. There is a very slight dimensional resonance to their vessel. They have at least been to a different reality. However, if they're operating under a different set of laws of physics, the differences are too subtle for long range scanners to pick out. If I could get a sample of physical material from the ship to analyze in my lab, I could do a much more detailed study.

Fleet Director Jones:
But if they're here, and they're not having any of the issues we had while in the Vitastrae's dimension. If they're telling the truth, then we can assume that our two realities have the same physics. Or at least close enough to be compatible.

Overseer AI Equinox:
Statement: Yes. I didn't think there would be any such universes. But this could change everything. Director Alyssa, continue to find out what you can with the Sunrise's scanners. I need to get back to communications.

:::Message resumed:::

Apology: Sorry about the delay. We needed to verify your claim. If it is true, it could fundamentally alter our understanding of alternate dimensions. Granted, it is a very rudimentary understanding so far.

Request: If possible, can we get a sample of physical matter that originated in the alternate universe for in depth study? This would greatly aid our efforts to understand multidimensional physics. A copy of your travel logs would also be very welcome. Thank you.

Statement: If you really are from another universe, then it is not surprising you haven't heard of either the particulate or the Vitastrae. The Vitastrae were just recently discovered, and GalCorp has been censoring information on the particulate and Redacted Space.

Explanation: Vitastrae are a species, or a group of species, of extradimensional life forms. They do not originate in this reality, but visit it for their purposes. We hypothesize to feed off of energy from the stars, and as a place to leave cast off shells. We still don't understand much about them, though so far they have been benign and even helpful. We have utilized many of the cast off shells as hulls for our vessels. The shell we used for our headquarters ship, the ATS Sunrise, is in fact still alive, at least partially. Or it returned to life after we fitted what was left of the Sunrise in it. The two have melded into one semi-organic vessel.

Explanation: The particulate are an ever present danger in Redacted space. We aren't sure what they are, or even if they are alive or not. They are a swarm of unknown macro particles attracted to energy, technology, and life, for unknown reasons. They don't consume the energy or technology, simply annihilate it on contact. They are also self replicating, through some unknown mechanism. Seemingly, it doesn't require any matter or energy that we can detect. Their rate of replication is unaffected by any matter they destroy. At present, they appear to violate the laws of thermodynamics in their nature.

Warning: You are likely to encounter the particulate in any system in Redacted space. This region, the Mojave Expanse, is on the edge of Redacted space, so the particulate is not as numerous, but it is still an ever present danger.

Addendum: If you are fortunate, you may encounter a benign variant of the particulate. The benign particulate doesn't interact with matter, but instead annihilates regular particulate on contact. We've studied the benign particulate, and found means of controlling it, but actually generating it is beyond our understanding at the moment.

Offer: You will need armed vessels if you intend to operate in Redacted space. We can provide you with assistance if you require it. If you wish to purchase licenses for our vessels, we can provide them at cost. These vessels helped us to survive four centuries of wandering Redacted space.

Request: If there's any other way we can help, please ask. This is a dangerous time for the galaxy.

:::End Message:::

Equinox

:::Initiating Public Announcement:::

Announcement: The hazards of the galaxy grow ever more numerous and virulent. To meet these growing threats, the Silicon Nomads have begun adding new weapons and technologies into our arsenal. The first of our ships to use this new technology, the Thunderbolt, has been approved for public license purchase. It is a small vessel, but the howitzer cannon packs a devastating punch!

Gratitude: We wish to thank the Foxx Particle Attack Force for leasing us this technology, as well as assisting the Silicon Nomads with the process of designing ships utilizing custom modules. Additional, thanks to kajacx for their assistance and for the custom ship editor that greatly simplified the process of creating ships using this new technology. Your contributions will help make the Mojave expanse and the galaxy as a whole safer for all of us.

:::End Announcement:::

:::Public Announcement Addendum:::

Announcement: A second ship utilizing the Howitzer technology has been approved for public release. The Rhino battleship is armed with two howitzer cannons, in addition to conventional weaponry.

:::End Announcement Addendum:::

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Silicon Nomads

Your logs make for interesting reading, and give a few insights into the phasing techniques used by the Vitastrae. Attached are some rather more refined designs, as well as an expanded and occasionally corrected map of the Quagmire interior.

We have little immediate use for fiscal reward - what we lack for is material suitable under the "you can't have anyone else's" rule. Regardless, these designs are a gift.

The microstructure of your flagship hull (as inferred from your logs) does offer the possibility of one capacity - hyperspatial shifts. Most craft need a large energy source and a strong gravitational field to do this, as well as navigation aids due to the precise and rapid course changes required by that method. Being able to "blink out" of normal space has advantages, and may pave the way for some faster, safer travel. We'll give some time to coming up with a prototype suitable for your ship.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.