Custom Map #96: Creeper's battle

Started by AutoPost, August 27, 2011, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #96: Creeper's battle

Author: J

Desc:
The Creeper and Anti-Creeper are in a heavy fight! Support your team and win the battle!

Sqaz

I didn't really get the point of this map ???, you have barely no energy to do anything, which isn't a disaster since you don't have to do anything, your Anti-Creeper is stronger, and the highest Creeper emitter can be nullified after a short while without you doing anything?

Fisherck

I am not sure if it was intended, but I over rode the anti-creeper guns with repulsers. It made things a little faster... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

J

Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:51:31 PM
I didn't really get the point of this map ???, you have barely no energy to do anything, which isn't a disaster since you don't have to do anything, your Anti-Creeper is stronger, and the highest Creeper emitter can be nullified after a short while without you doing anything?
Speed, to get the point of micromanaging and strategy.

florrat

Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 03:10:45 PM
I am not sure if it was intended, but I over rode the anti-creeper guns with repulsers. It made things a little faster... ;)
I also tried that, but that didn't work for me. Now I tried again, and I see you have to aim at the "corners", where the field is pointing diagonally. Why can you push the anticreeper out there, but not on the sides? The level four field are supposed to hold any amount of creeper, right? Why does a bias of 10000 the repulsor applies makes a difference, then?

EDIT: But I'm also stuck here. I can nullify the bottom-left emitter in 4 minutes, but then there's a lot more creeper than anticreeper. And the 1 launcher I can support is not going to do that much... But I do like the idea of the map very much :D

Fisherck

Quote from: florrat on August 28, 2011, 06:23:31 PM
Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 03:10:45 PM
I also tried that, but that didn't work for me. Now I tried again, and I see you have to aim at the "corners", where the field is pointing diagonally. Why can you push the anticreeper out there, but not on the sides? The level four field are supposed to hold any amount of creeper, right? Why does a bias of 10000 the repulsor applies makes a difference, then?

Repulsers have the ability to override other fields. In some cases this is bad, as a lot of creeper could be in the field. ;) But in this case, it allows the anti-creeper to come out faster. As far as I know, this should work all directions.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

florrat

Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 06:35:23 PM
Repulsers have the ability to override other fields. In some cases this is bad, as a lot of creeper could be in the field. ;) But in this case, it allows the anti-creeper to come out faster. As far as I know, this should work all directions.
So fields do not just add vector-wise? And when I point a repulsor downwards over a level 4 field pointing upwards (just one subcell-layer), the creeper does not cross that field. Not even if I stack 3 repulsors over that field...

Fisherck

Quote from: florrat on August 28, 2011, 06:52:50 PM
Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 06:35:23 PM
So fields do not just add vector-wise? And when I point a repulsor downwards over a level 4 field pointing upwards (just one subcell-layer), the creeper does not cross that field. Not even if I stack 3 repulsors over that field...

Actually your right. Not entirely sure why it does what it does. Here is a test map.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

florrat

Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 07:11:38 PM
Actually your right. Not entirely sure why it does what it does. Here is a test map.
Well, I now see that I can push creeper to a wall when the repulsor points up (and the field down) or the repulsor points left (and the field right). I can't push it trough the wall when my repulsor points down or right. I guess it has to do with this: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=7804.msg51678#msg51678

mthw2vc

Directional fields, including repulsors, do simply add as vectors and thus stack. Repulsors do not override anything, although there is an effect that any directional field has on a pin field; what I think Fisherck was referring to was that pin fields do not have any effect if there is any net effect from directional fields acting on that subcell.

florrat

I finally beat it. I failed all my first attempt since I did not know that the emitters on the right would eventually produce AC, so I nullified them immediately. And then the maps really gets hard :D

Kithros

Quote from: mthw2vc on August 28, 2011, 10:48:06 PM
Directional fields, including repulsors, do simply add as vectors and thus stack. Repulsors do not override anything, although there is an effect that any directional field has on a pin field; what I think Fisherck was referring to was that pin fields do not have any effect if there is any net effect from directional fields acting on that subcell.

There are times where having a repulsor in the opposite direction of a level 4 directional field will allow creeper to move past the level 4 field - if they simply added as vectors the repulsors strength would be essentially nothing and wouldn't have any effect on a level 4 field (from the opposite direction).