Hardest map?

Started by Karsten75, August 27, 2010, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fractalman

i'm not saying they're hard!...
i'm just saying there's certainly a chance that one of them happens to be impossible. finding said hypothetical map, and proving it impossible, is another story. 
actually, untill i read this topic, I thought all the chromon maps were pretty easy.

Ebon Heart

there's a few hard ones, but none yet that are impossible. There's some really tough ones though...
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Colin

Don't forget about this one:

July 31, 2134

:P
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Mantzikert

I have just found this one and struggled a little bit.

May 18th, 6648

DethbyIT

Quote from: Mantzikert on February 13, 2012, 01:46:24 AM
I have just found this one and struggled a little bit.

May 18th, 6648

It's been so long since I played CW1 that I forgot that you don't have to take out the Emitters.
I was able to get established pretty quickly by moving the OC down and to the left. Stay very compact with only 3-4 Collectors and a Reactor. Monitor Creeper flow and build one Blaster, more reactors, then a second Blaster.
You should be able to stay safe enough to build SAM's - 2 for sure, 3 to be safe.
After you have 3 SAM's, start maxing out on Reactors and expand your base.

Mantzikert

I went for the charge.  I built out to pick up the booster in the SW, then used the energy to build 3 blasters and 1 mortar.  Then I move the base to the highest point (right next to an emitter).  It was touch and go, but I held on.  Two mistakes.  I tried to expand right from there, left was far easier.  And I left a blaster too close to the first emitter so just as I had capped all the emitters, that blaster died and I lost most of my original base on the hill.

DesertDog

Feb 28 2012 is looking pretty tough. I tried about 4 times and was losing. Hard to protect enough ground to build energy enough to break out. Not saying it's impossible but it's difficult.

ryk421

I find November 10, 2012 impossible.  There is no high ground except a small patch to the left of where you start. And, spores come before you can get a proper defense built against the creeper,  If any anyone can beat this one, please tell me how, thanks

ryk421

O.K. I did it, and i'll explain how. so SPOILER ALERT.... There's really only one spot to move to, which is just below the small hill on the top of the map to the left of the ship.  You need a few collectors, ofc ,to start out.  As soon as you think you have the resources build a mortar due south of the ship, that will hold off the creeper long enough for you to build 2 or 3 sams.  During the second sam countdown period, you'll want to build a blaster just next to the mortar to hold off encroaching creeper from the south that the mortar wont target, because it is thin.  You should be in deficit by now, so if you have the time build a few more sams, to spread out the fire drain. Now comes the tricky part, during the third sam countdown, the creeper is really building  up to each side of platuea that the ship sits on. But, you reallly don't have the resources to run a second mortar, along with the blaster and the first mortar.  So what you have to do is, alternate the position of the single mortar so that it clears out the left for a bit, then move to fire at the right and go back and forth with it.  Then you should be able to build enough sams to cover your position, and another mortar so that both sides are covered.  After that, it progressed like a normal chronom.  Just the opening part that seems impossible, I'd like to hear other strategies if anybody has one for this mission, thanks a lot

Mantzikert

My time on that map is legit.

SPOILER ALERT.

Similar to you, move to the left.  Filled it out with collectors.  I started with a blaster.  I can't remember exactly when, but I probably one had one or two reactors.  The blaster held it off until I was collecting 5-6 energy per second and then I built the mortar.  The mortar did one trip down the left while I built my blasters and I started to advance down the highground.  I think I had just about capped the left two emitters when the first spore attack came.

One trick with this map is that I didn't connect to the left token straight away.  After capping the left two emitters, I moved from my HQ straight right and linked to the high ground.  2 blasters stayed there to hold off the creeper, 3 went right to capture the last token and the 4 went back to capture the left token.

Done.

Grauniad

Oh man... nostalgia... Now I need to find my CW1 key code....
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thearchduke

March 19, 5091 is pretty difficult - limited starting ground and a gap that can't be bridged by relays.  Somebody figure out what I'm missing and tell me how to do it faster.

Mantzikert

I moved up to the left.  Collectors took me up to 2.3 production.

Reactors then took me up to 8.3.  This is a little higher than I normally go, time will tell if it was a waste.

Mortar went in a little late, just as the reactors were finishing. Then 3 storages and 1 speed.

As this was finishing off, I started on blasters.  Time was 4:30.

The advance was towards the top left to cap that emitter first.  I didn't bother trying to stay to the high ground, as I figured I'd have to fight my way through all the low level creeper sooner or later.  Attack was lead by the mortar.

First emitter was capped at 5:43.  Then the attack started to move right.  At this stage I had 12 blasters, 1 mortar, 2 blasters building.  I also had 2 speeds built, and another two building.  i also had a major energy shortage, which is rare for me, so I turned off the building of the two new blasters.

Second emitter was capped at 6:10 as I started the climb.  I had solved my energy problems and had started building the two other blasters and another speed.

Third emitter was 6:34. 14 blasters, 1 more being built.  4 speeds, 2 more being built.  At this stage I was using 3 blasters to hold the low ground from the creeper in the south east.

Capped the fourth emitter at 7:10.  This was an interesting call as I was splitting my attack forces.  But I wanted the 20%faster upgrade.  (The first one was a 10% energy).

Finishing time 7:45.

Mantzikert

3rd Feb 8579.

Nice challenge.

Mantzikert

Dec 2nd, 6686.

Not that hard, but since there was no high ground for ODIN city, there was a nice challenge of balancing defense versus construction at one stage.