AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1530: Angel Home

Author: HolyWingAngel
Size: 500x500

Desc:
Defend Angel Home from Swarm

svartmes

Uuugh...frustrating to play.
It could have been a truley great map with a few changes.

holywingangel

thanks for play

and sorry for your frustrating experience

may ask what you think the map hadn't pleased you

and how will you change the map to make it better

by the way
can you pm me your walkthrough with this map
like your attacking plans or steps to victory

my best wishes to give you better exprience next time

svartmes

@ HolyWingAngel
Hey sorry for the negative remark. I was going to leave comments on how I thought it could improve but I never did :/
I think you have some good mapmaking skills which is also why it's so frustrating when the map has alot of good qualities but ends up not fun to play.

First of all map layout is very cool and the overall concept of this grand battle felt epic and fresh.

My problems with it was:
1) the lag is just too much.  You could probably tweak some values here and there, keeping the same concept (and even difficulty) but reducing much of the lag.
2) "Loose on player HQ Death", this makes it frustrating to use the HQ. Sometimes you just die at random by runaway MK7 shots or something silly. I would suggest turning this off, especially because 3.
3) Too weak player ships.  You start with the HQ as your only lathe and the pickups you get have very little weapons whereas your enemy has massive guns. You have big ship pickups in the upper right corner but I could not get these Before the map was already over (maybe mistake on my part).
4) Not being able to use omnis forbids creative tactics, and yet still you put in lots of omni pickups which are pretty much useless.
5) randomness.  It's a difficult map and can become even more difficult depending on which ships the enemy AI decides to target.  Much of my endgame tactic relied on having enemy ship target "useless" ships that I put in the upper left corner as bait.

Basicly how you play this map is to painfully inch your way forward with your lathe (and HQ if you are feeling brave and dont mind save scumming) and suicide ramming with your tiny fleet.
I would have loved the map if the friendly AI had more attack patterns (now most of them just defend the base), if you had stronger starting fleet/pickups, more omni use to promote different tactics and less silly things (in the end I had 99 amps??). 
That's pretty much it I think.  Thanks for making the map and hope you make more :)

How I played:
Spoiler
HQ to the SW corner to pick up the lathe and clear the corner, got the pickups S and W of base.  decided to attack NW corner, relying mostly on suicide rams with my other ships to protect my lathes and hit and run tactics but also redirecting the blue particles there . SE corner next using pretty much same tactic.
For the final battle I went around the corners trying to lathe off any spawners that I could reach.  this took forever and relied on some luck with enemy targeting.
[close]

holywingangel

Quote from: svartmes on June 08, 2020, 01:24:38 PM
My problems with it was:
1) the lag is just too much.  You could probably tweak some values here and there, keeping the same concept (and even difficulty) but reducing much of the lag.
2) "Loose on player HQ Death", this makes it frustrating to use the HQ. Sometimes you just die at random by runaway MK7 shots or something silly. I would suggest turning this off, especially because 3.
3) Too weak player ships.  You start with the HQ as your only lathe and the pickups you get have very little weapons whereas your enemy has massive guns. You have big ship pickups in the upper right corner but I could not get these Before the map was already over (maybe mistake on my part).
4) Not being able to use omnis forbids creative tactics, and yet still you put in lots of omni pickups which are pretty much useless.
5) randomness.  It's a difficult map and can become even more difficult depending on which ships the enemy AI decides to target.  Much of my endgame tactic relied on having enemy ship target "useless" ships that I put in the upper left corner as bait.
Basicly how you play this map is to painfully inch your way forward with your lathe (and HQ if you are feeling brave and dont mind save scumming) and suicide ramming with your tiny fleet.
I would have loved the map if the friendly AI had more attack patterns (now most of them just defend the base), if you had stronger starting fleet/pickups, more omni use to promote different tactics and less silly things (in the end I had 99 amps??). 
That's pretty much it I think.  Thanks for making the map and hope you make more :)

First of all,
thx for all the feedbacks,
thx very much,
all are good advices that helped,
truly thx.

Secondly,
I'm glad to see somebody with high skills can beat the map all by themselves.
( Cause my map beat me almost every time,
that means,
you guys might no need to step into this dirty water at the beginning.
But well,
the map published,
and you downloaded,
so it's too late. ;D)
And really sorry the unpleased procedure that caused by lagging and every other reasons.

Thirdly,
there is one way,
that you can lower down the difficulty by using some specific tactics,
well,
if you want to know,
I will pm you with it.
And if you can beat the game without it,
I'm sure you 'll find more pleased with it,
and less lagging.
But for now,
let's keep it secret to others for a while.

The fourth,
some honestly truth about the map.
Before this map,
I did two maps to testing game systems,
well,
no conversations,
no pickups,
just ally and foe,
defend yourself first and fight back.
Simply, Directly, Bloody Straight to the NATURE ,
I just wanna see the ships explode.
Back to this map,
I just put my thoughts,
lots of thoughts,
including ship designs,
mixed up.
Truly,
I have no big plan on it at the first place,
and I just want to see what will happened,
and I found,
I can't walk through my work. :'(
So I think,
maybe accidentally,
I found ( means build and find both ) something useful.
SO I KEEP FINISHING IT,
basically,
not too much time on map shaping,
but too much time on beating it. :P
Therefore,
unproperly settings remained in game,
sorry for this again.

1) Omnis,
a good point,
useless stuff,
indeed,
my blind spot.
THX for noting me that,
gonna think some way to using them properly,
well,
I'd admitted that it's hard to find out how on current map.
BUT assure you next map would make this right.

Originally,
the Omnis should just be used as Generators to power me up,
and little cannons can repair red mires on fortress lands.
but,
seems they are vulnerable on the only possible locations,
and useless on energy supply once you took more territory and gain more techs
and useless on fightback red mires on fortress lands for only few occasions the red doppels will explode on fortress lands and spread red particles to mire.
However in another more difficult version,
the red mires can kill some of your mire emitters.
So you guys better be grateful that I give up that version. 8)

2) Ships,
depends on different play tactics,
well for myself,
I'd be a guy who like WWI,
fortification first then moved on,
step by step.

So,
I need ports to transport energy and defenders to protect the supply line,
grabbers to send particles further,
and so lethes can reach their targets to finish the job.
Indeed,
too theoretical.
So I still need to work harder with how to set roles and functions for units.

Oh by the way,
Ramming is romanticism for men,
no ship is a good ship if it can't ram. ;D :P
And ramming,
in fact,
is a good way to protect from incoming vessels,
especially those doppels,
doppels heal themselves fast and regenerate fast.
Sorry for the hard difficulty,
I have no idea these doppels will be so difficult to kill.

The ALLY's ai,
well,
truly,
if they can help your attack,
it would be great,
I also have this thought in my mind every time the map beat me.
Yet,
considered the conversation,
the crew has escaped from the SWARM ,
so after settled down at this abandoned sector,
the crew has little time to set up defenses.
The fortress is the only place can be chose as a Alamo,
cause there are more shipyards can help to defend.
Repair facilities in the fortress cost almost all time the crew had,
so no time to claim other relics as perimeter.
The crew don't know where and when the swarm will show,
and all AI controlled doppel spawners and shipyards are truly controlled by AI in the background literally,
so,
except for those five egg doppel spawners laid south west at the main fortress,
which can act just as a bomb to attack enemy units,
all the other AI control ships can only set for patrolling the line.
That'll be fit for a defending plan within the situation,
cause attacking mode will left the fortress defenseless.
And because there are still many unclaimed spawners and shipyards,
so the powerful ships deployed at the North and East sides.

I true have a thought in my mind,
that I can add extra event to change the game course,
yet,
I haven't learn PRPL ,
so don't know how to script it in.
After finish my warcraft III map ,
I will have time to learn PRPL ,
and I will consider add changeable event into the game,
so it may can change AI ships from defending mode to attacking mode,
and also you may expect a shipyards able to be flipped or other buildings can be conquered by lethes,
then player can fight for the ownership of the buildings.

As you can see,
there's two script units in the map which contains no scripts.
Well,
it shall be fulfilled later.

That's all.
THX again for all the advices.

alche

Hi, i managed to beat the map but it took me a lot of time, and a couple of desktop crashes too... so something is crashing the game on this map.

I took the W and S ship pickups firts, then SW, then SE, NW, NE and main base

ii managed to beat the game by leaving all my fleet except the lathes and an energy ship on my base so the enemy would go there instead of attacking me.
then i rock burned the wall of the base and attacked with struc so the enemy mines couldn respawn, onmis are mostly useless cos thres no place for them to park except on the main base, maybe use them as bullets or to prevent a mine to become red again. i also rock burned a lot on the SE and NW bases to clear the red mire and allow the mines to become blue under the struc.

then i carried the struc along the border to the NE and did the same, eventualy i came down to the main enemy base with struc and the new ships to finish.

you can use the thin ships to spear the enemies if necesary, but the gunships are useless

was mostly work, but had fun...

holywingangel

Quote from: alche on June 09, 2020, 01:44:35 AM
Hi, i managed to beat the map but it took me a lot of time, and a couple of desktop crashes too... so something is crashing the game on this map.

I took the W and S ship pickups firts, then SW, then SE, NW, NE and main base

ii managed to beat the game by leaving all my fleet except the lathes and an energy ship on my base so the enemy would go there instead of attacking me.
then i rock burned the wall of the base and attacked with struc so the enemy mines couldn respawn, onmis are mostly useless cos thres no place for them to park except on the main base, maybe use them as bullets or to prevent a mine to become red again. i also rock burned a lot on the SE and NW bases to clear the red mire and allow the mines to become blue under the struc.

then i carried the struc along the border to the NE and did the same, eventualy i came down to the main enemy base with struc and the new ships to finish.

you can use the thin ships to spear the enemies if necesary, but the gunships are useless

was mostly work, but had fun...

may ask which base is the one you burned down the wall and attacked with struc

and gladly you can get the idea
it's brilliant indeed

also sorry for the crashing problem
one solution is check destroy message regularly
and save a lot

crashing is caused by RAM overflow
so all solution is about how to reduce RAM consumption

alche

i burned the wall of the main base, the one where you start, the friendly one, therefore letting the struc out and growing it to attack, also used the projector control and the ships to mire enemy bases.

holywingangel

Quote from: alche on June 09, 2020, 05:04:31 PM
i burned the wall of the main base, the one where you start, the friendly one, therefore letting the struc out and growing it to attack, also used the projector control and the ships to mire enemy bases.

Well, then, may tell me how long do you used?
And I would have some other questions want to ask,
yet it has better be asked in private message.
So, I'll just contact you in pm.
Please contact me and give feedback in pm,
It's very important.
THX a lot.

alche

sent you a pm, dont know if it reached you, but https://imgur.com/a/lgisVXz, and about hour and 40 minutes maybe?

holywingangel

Well,it's seems there is a player has found the secret egg,
and his or her score is 45 minutes.

Impressive, and this is what I expected.

Congratulations for your spirit of exploration.

alche

well, i managed to clear the main enemy base in 45 minutes and beat the map in 55

holywingangel

it can be more faster. I beat the map with 36 minutes.

CyberDyneSystems

Game did not end for me.
Decided to slog through, cleared all enemies,. got all pick ups,. but the game just sits there.
Lag is terrible even after 100% of the Red is gone,.
I see names on the leaderboard, so clearly for some it actually completed.
Frustrating to put hours into it only to have it not end.