Performance when Lathe is used to destroy

Started by Tycho451, November 08, 2016, 10:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho451

When there is a lot going on in the game and one or more Lathes are firing my performance drops from playable to 1-2 fps and the game threads are maxing out my CPU cores.

At first I thought the graphics used for the firing effect are really resource hungry, but I noticed it's only that extremely bad when the Lathe is used to destroy something (emitters, struc) not when it builds. Which I hope means it's a fixable bug.

My Laptop is a Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70GHz with a crappy Intel graphics chip ("Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)") running 64bit Linux (Kubuntu 16.10).

I'm on a 2 month business trip in China right now, that's why I'm limited to my old work Laptop :(

I included a save where this is happening right now for me. If I can do anything else to help just ask!

Sorrontis

Do post the log file:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0

You could always try to re-install the game.

However, it sounds like its a hardware issue. Try to edit the game settings to reduce the load on your GPU (explosions turned off, lighting and trails turned off).
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Tycho451

Hey, thanks for the reply. Here is the log file.

I know my hardware is below the official recommendation and I understand if Virgil says it's no priority. But it seems to me destroying stuff with a lathe is using a lot of CPU power (not an issue if you have enough, of course) and I can't think of a reason why it should. I obviously don't know how the game is set up internally though and I could misread what's happening but there seems to be a correlation between the immense fps breakdown and the lathe.

/edit:
Oh yeah, graphics are already turned down, thanks :)

knucracker

I don't really see anything crazy in the log (other than linux :) ).  I'm also not sure what would cause such a slowdown in that save.  If the struc was being rebuilt, I could imagine higher CPU load.  But those lathes are just eating away at static struc in that mission.

The lathes do use unity particle effects for their beams.  That is a modest jump in geometry and on weaker GPUs with less optimized lighting support in the driver (which can happen off windows), could be there is something with that.

I'd try two things:
- Disable the steam overlay and relaunch the game and see if there is any difference.
- Turn off "lighting" in the graphics menu of the game (then exit and relaunch).  See if that makes a difference...