Map Editor Templates

Started by eudrick, November 09, 2011, 11:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eudrick

Anyone else think it's be cool to have a quasi-paint program embedded in the editor?  Ability to draw circles and ovals  (and maybe a customizable grid) that wouldn't show up on the in-game map but only on the editor map.  Pretty handy to use as templates for placing terrain and fields. 
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

UpperKEES

You can draw something in any paint program, save it as a jpg or png file, load it as a background into the editor, use it as a template for terrain and fields and remove/replace it afterwards.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

eudrick

That works with little effort for a grid ( and is what I do) but, for circles and ovals you kinda have to screen shoot the editor for location of center points, transfer to paint, draw the circles and then use it as a background.  I was also thinking it would be handy for ranging beacons and weapons on the fly.  If I was a bit of a programmer I'd figure out how to make movable overlays that could be used on top of the editor map [ HINT HINT to all you brainacs out there ].  Meanwhile, I'll continue to use Saran wrap on my monitor and dry erase markers  :D
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

Michionlion

Quote from: eudrick on November 09, 2011, 07:44:53 PM
Meanwhile, I'll continue to use Saran wrap on my monitor and dry erase markers  :D

hmm.... why didn't I think of that?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!