Packet Capacity Upgrades

Started by Measure, August 11, 2011, 11:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Farin

Quote from: thepenguin on August 23, 2011, 01:32:41 PM
maybe because virgil stores the "builtness" of a unit as an INT? (at least that would make sense for him to do)
Of course, how ignorant of me. However, the fix could be easy by shifting the comma one place to the right in the back-end, allowing for 'builtness' to have one place behind the comma (although this might not be possible for DB because of the internal integer type used here (Addendum: because of overflow problems))
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

thepenguin

to get really geeky here, I would guess that virgil does not actually store the built values in INTs, but in BYTEs
We have become the creeper...

Lord_Farin

Quote from: thepenguin on August 23, 2011, 05:52:08 PM
to get really geeky here, I would guess that virgil does not actually store the built values in INTs, but in BYTEs
I suspected that (my comment on DB referred to it); however, I didn't know enough about AS to assure me that byte existed, and was too lazy to look it up  :)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

thepenguin

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 24, 2011, 02:52:52 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on August 23, 2011, 05:52:08 PM
I suspected that (my comment on DB referred to it); however, I didn't know enough about AS to assure me that byte existed, and was too lazy to look it up  :)

I just realized that virgil has to use SMALLs for the buildings (I got the tech dome price up to 300), and virgil also stores fields in SMALLs

UpperKEES

BYTE and SMALL data types are both not available in AS3, see here.

This means Virgil has to handle everything with INTs, UINTs and the rather expensive NUMBERs.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Lord_Farin

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 24, 2011, 10:44:59 AM
BYTE and SMALL data types are both not available in AS3, see here.

This means Virgil has to handle everything with INTs, UINTs and the rather expensive NUMBERs.
If using ints/uints (what's with the caps?), my suggestion of the integer indicating tenths of 'builtness' would be feasible (although I'm not sure if I support the underlying suggestion of a different type of tech, but it could be interesting for certain custom maps of course).

thepenguin

I'd also like to be able to change the amount of energy the LS puts out

CobraKill

Quote from: thepenguin on August 24, 2011, 07:17:27 PM
I'd also like to be able to change the amount of energy the LS puts out

+1
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.