Creeper Vacuum

Started by knucracker, June 02, 2011, 10:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should happen to vacuumed Anti-Creeper? (read post for full description!!!)

Convert it back into ore
7 (14.6%)
Store it so it can be released later
18 (37.5%)
Hybrid.  Convert to ore, but have a burst button on Makers
23 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: June 04, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

knucracker

Hmmm....
The easy answer here for game mechanics is that only the ore stash can be burst.  Remnant ore must be processed at a slower rate.  It is hard to explain 'why' this might be the case in the context of the made up sci-fi tech.

It also means that you still will want to have a pair of makers to convert the remnant ore into anti-creeper and vacuum it up into raw ore.

If it all can be burst, then that does change strategy on the story maps.... that is unless I don't enable vacuuming and bursting on the story maps.

UpperKEES

Good, that's the answer I hoped for. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

MadMag

The burst creeper must be purified, like we do in alcohole.. thats why. (filter it to make it burstable) the Maker can't handle a heavy burst without the creeper beeing filtered.

knucracker

One note about the hybrid model.  To make an effective burst, I have to make the ore storage upgrade rather large compared to its current value.  Right now you start at 20 and can upgrade by 40 up to 5 times.  I need to change that to be something more like start at 50 and then each upgrade increases storage by 500.
That would top you out at 2550 storage.  This can hold more than the total ore on some maps. 

At 2550, you could burst 2550*30k = 76500k = 76.5 Million creeper in an instant.

Kamron3

Quote from: virgilw on June 02, 2011, 07:52:54 PM
One note about the hybrid model.  To make an effective burst, I have to make the ore storage upgrade rather large compared to its current value.  Right now you start at 20 and can upgrade by 40 up to 5 times.  I need to change that to be something more like start at 50 and then each upgrade increases storage by 500.
That would top you out at 2550 storage.  This can hold more than the total ore on some maps. 

At 2550, you could burst 2550*30k = 76500k = 76.5 Million creeper in an instant.

I just changed my vote.

CobraKill

Well on thing i would suggest witht the vaccum mode is if you implement pipes. We should be able to direct the AC to differnt directions if we want it all to go int the pipe.

EDIT: Ignore this 
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

UpperKEES

I'm not sure if you understand the Creeper vacuum. One maker sucks away all anti-Creeper (or has already done so) and another (or the same one) is able to release all of this at once (through their shared ore storage). This means anti-Creeper can be 'transported' instantly from one maker to another (anywhere on the map), so why use a pipe?

CobraKill

Ohh never mind. I'm still on the repulsar mechanics. But youy could still have alot of fun with pipes  :D
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Cotters

Sooo... would the "increase  range " upgrade increase vacuum suck area (like increase by a square sub-cell, fully doubling the original by 3rd upgrade)?  I think that would be cool,... ya.

how will the vacuum handle anti-creeper in fields, influenced by repulsers, and under gravity? Will it vacuum wile the maker is moving? What would happen if a wall block that has anti-creeper trapped in it, is passed over by a vacuuming maker? dose it get sucked up, or is it still in the box?(of cores it doesn't matter tho  :))

Blaze

Quote from: virgilw on June 02, 2011, 07:52:54 PM

Yes.

*After this is implemented* Cubic, here I come!

Grauniad

Way to pack 20 questions in one sentence! :)

Quote from: Cotters on June 02, 2011, 11:08:12 PM
Sooo... would the "increase  range " upgrade increase vacuum suck area (like increase by a square sub-cell, fully doubling the original by 3rd upgrade)?  I think that would be cool,... ya.
No. The current implementation absorbs Anti-Creeper only from the cell the Maker is located in. Then the "vacuum" (which A-C abhors as much as nature does) is filled with fresh A-C from adjacent cells, rinse, repeat. Results are most spectacular if you locate the Maker in dense A-C.

how will the vacuum handle anti-creeper in fields, influenced by repulsers, and under gravity?
If there is A-C in the cell the maker is in, it is absorbed. If A-C moves into the cell the Maker is in, it will be absorbed.

Will it vacuum wile the maker is moving?
Yes.

What would happen if a wall block that has anti-creeper trapped in it, is passed over by a vacuuming maker? dose it get sucked up, or is it still in the box?(of cores it doesn't matter tho  :))

Simple logic will allow you to figure this out. Makers absorb only A-C in the cell they are in. Since they can never pass over terrain, they will not affect entombed A-C.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Krell

Quote from: Grauniad on June 03, 2011, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: Cotters on June 02, 2011, 11:08:12 PM
What would happen if a wall block that has anti-creeper trapped in it, is passed over by a vacuuming maker? dose it get sucked up, or is it still in the box?(of cores it doesn't matter tho  :))

Simple logic will allow you to figure this out. Makers absorb only A-C in the cell they are in. Since they can never pass over terrain, they will not affect entombed A-C.

I think he means AC trapped in shields.

Yelik

Will vacuuming cost energy? And if so have an upgrade so it cost less energy. Maybe it could cost energy per 30000 creeper or something.

UpperKEES

Makers don't use energy.....

Yelik

But shouldn't they to vacuum?