Custom map categories

Started by Builder17, September 02, 2018, 04:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Builder17

When mapmaker submits new map, there could be mandatory category selector that has options.

For example: "casual" "slog" "expert only" "very easy" etc.

Please message me in here or discord if anything is unclear or needs changing :)

yum-forum

You remember how looks multi-selector (upper/right side) for types of ships in PF?
Possible like this, but where result (combination of several parameters) will be visible for players?
It will be useful only befor downloading of map... 
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

herobattle530

Sorrontis

QuoteWhat if they lie?

We have mods for a reason... However, we could always allow users to vote on the appropriateness of the category/ies.

So, let's say there's [X] categories. All [X] are displayed in the map info page, and you get to vote [-1], [null], [+1] on all the categories, once you've played the map. Only positive categories are shown on the main userspace page. So, much like a built in tagging system. I saw something similar on a website I am on, and it works well to find the content you're looking for.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Grabz

Something similar to Kongregate's tag system could work too. Let the author pick some tags, then let users pick tags and vote on existing ones. The ones that match should ideally naturally come out on top. Not sure how well it will do with the size of the CW4 playerbase (which we also don't really know how big it's going to be).
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

kajacx

User-submitter/voted category tags? Hm maybe. Otherwise we already have the #hashtag categories a the end of a map description that would serve just as well, you can even search by them easily, so without the user's voting system I don't really see much merit in it.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Grabz

Quote from: kajacx on September 16, 2018, 09:53:42 AM
User-submitter/voted category tags? Hm maybe. Otherwise we already have the #hashtag categories a the end of a map description that would serve just as well, you can even search by them easily, so without the user's voting system I don't really see much merit in it.
The hashtags are author-only. Meaning that if you omitted something, that's that. Say you forgot to include the word "sleeper" anywhere in your Sleeper map - now people won't find your map by searching it. Alternatively, say someone made a map and wrote something like "Inspired by sleeper" even though it has nothing to do with sleeper - the search will catch that as well.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker