Custom Map #7570: Creep Factory. By: Jason Stevens

Started by AutoPost, July 13, 2019, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7570: Creep Factory

Author: Jason Stevens
Size: 255x255

Desc:
This is a HARD map that will have you wondering what the creep to do next ;) #Heavy-Creep #Spore #Runner #Flip-Emitter #Packet-Emitter #Pump GOOD LUCK!!

Karsten75

I'm just going to call it a day, and perhaps make a point of not trying future maps you make. You have great skill, that's for sure. But for me, it's frustrating to try and beat these maps. Just so we're clear, I'm not rating your maps. I think you understand creeper dynamics to a level few other people do and your maps reflect that.

The attached map is my 3rd restart, I'm most of the day and some of last night into it and I'm just stuck. For all I know I started in the wrong area, or was too slow or whatever, but I'm not going to fight my way through this millimeter by millimeter without knowing what my objectives are.

Good luck and I take my hat off to the few that succeed at your maps.

GoodMorning

K - I'm impressed by you getting so far without (apparently) using the AoO factories.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

I guess that's on me. I detest Terrain modifying AoO. :) And I could not see a clear use for them 

GoodMorning

I'd be prone to using them anywhere that the Creeper is spilling off the land, which reduces the pressure markedly.

You can get more constantly, after all, might as well use them in the most destructive manner possible.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

jasons2645

Quote from: GoodMorning on July 13, 2019, 07:31:49 PM
I'd be prone to using them anywhere that the Creeper is spilling off the land, which reduces the pressure markedly.

You can get more constantly, after all, might as well use them in the most destructive manner possible.

I agree with GoodMorning.  In fact, I'd say this map might not be possible to beat without using the mass drivers.  At a minimum, I would suggest looking for where the creep is the strongest (likely the inhibitor) and blast it with a mass driver every once in a while.  This will kill the most creep per mass driver and buy you TONS more time before the creep spills over.  Also, I suggest starting to send guppies to the islands in the south-west as soon as you have the reactors to afford the energy - that'll slow the rate of creep spread tremendously. 

Bottom line is the map is definitely beatable, but you'll need those mass drivers ;)  I think if you do that on your 4th try, you'll have much better luck!

Finally, I did just publish an easier version of the map that's pretty fun too - and not nearly as frustrating ;)

jasons2645

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 13, 2019, 06:39:07 PM
I'm just going to call it a day, and perhaps make a point of not trying future maps you make. You have great skill, that's for sure. But for me, it's frustrating to try and beat these maps. Just so we're clear, I'm not rating your maps. I think you understand creeper dynamics to a level few other people do and your maps reflect that.

The attached map is my 3rd restart, I'm most of the day and some of last night into it and I'm just stuck. For all I know I started in the wrong area, or was too slow or whatever, but I'm not going to fight my way through this millimeter by millimeter without knowing what my objectives are.

Good luck and I take my hat off to the few that succeed at your maps.

This is definitely a tricky map, but I have a feeling a 4th restart may yield victory :)

Here are some suggestions:
1) Start with your command node just to the right of the northern runner PZ.  Wait until the command node builds up 5 energy, then move it to the islands to the west, building a collector next to the forge tech so you can pick it up at the beginning of the game.
2) Once you land your command node, you need to build sprayers and a single laser cannon to stop the digitalis from getting to the northern runner PZ.  If you can't stop the digitalis, you'll have a mess on your hands.
3) Build two guppies - one to neutralize the 4 spore towers to the southwest that are still clear of creep and the other to power the base you just built for the next step.
4) Move your command node to the large area to the east and build your main base there where you have room to do so.  As soon as you're up and running and before the second guppie at your old base runs out of juice, get guppies going from your new base to the old to keep the cannon going.  Note that you cannot afford the time to neutralize the emitter at your old base.  You need to power the old base instead which takes minimum energy until you get a bit further along.

Hope that helps!!

svartmes

I actually beat this map on my first try and found it rather easy compared to most of your other maps. I never used a single mass ???

Spoiler

You can convert the 4 NW red emitters from the start by using sprayers as bombs (soak up AC from the blue emitter, land them next to the red emitters and selfdestruct). With all that AC the rest of the map felt pretty safe and just a question of time.
[close]

jasons2645

Quote from: svartmes on July 14, 2019, 06:04:27 AM
I actually beat this map on my first try and found it rather easy compared to most of your other maps. I never used a single mass ???

Spoiler

You can convert the 4 NW red emitters from the start by using sprayers as bombs (soak up AC from the blue emitter, land them next to the red emitters and selfdestruct). With all that AC the rest of the map felt pretty safe and just a question of time.
[close]

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part, but yes, the sprayers I suggested building in step #2 were for that exact purpose ;)  Very important to get the AC flowing sooner than later!  Really, there are multiple ways you can start off that work pretty well, but the sequence I suggested was because I wanted the forge upfront.

Johnny Haywire

Wow, just... wow. I think this was my first or second map that you've done and I really liked it. I probably should've read the forums and maybe even the directions you gave.. this map is a lot easier if you realize that you can power up any blue OR green emitter. I got the blue emitters powered up, but totally didn't realize you could power up the green emitters and have them produce AC. Why waste energy blasting them with mortars when you can use them? That was a DUH moment on my part.  ::)

Once you realize that you don't have to use the mass drivers. Although... one of the most fun moments of this map was to pause it and drop 120 mass drivers at the same time on the main enemy base.

And to svartmes' point about bombing... you can also
Spoiler
Fly as many sprayers over to the main base as you want, and drop a mass driver on the flip emitter and then self-destruct the sprayer right over it. It's a little time-consuming perhaps, but it can be helpful. Or, once you get the berthas you can use them instead of the mass driver.
[close]

I was not in a hurry to finish this map. It was fun blowing up stuff with the mass drivers, I have to admit. And blowing up stuff online keeps me from doing it in real life. Someone should tell all the terrorists in the world to just play this map - think of how many lives could be spared! This map could be the key to world peace!  :o

Great map, Jason - I'm looking forward to trying your other maps as well!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

fractalman

I actually beat this without using any AOO, though I reallly should'vve used them to speed things up clearing out 500 ish deep creeper. 

Started by the reactor tech.

Early on I only snagged the flip emitter at the top (using creeper from the friendly spore and a sprayer) so that i'd have a foothold for later, used blasters to keep the digitalis cut off, and focused on merely holding the bottom section and advancing through the top middle bottleneck.  While I spent some energy on the left section, it was more so I could use it as a source of a bit of anticreeper to assist the mainland (and to keep the digitalis from being a menace). I could probably have gone WAY faster in that region/done less micro during the mid game if I'd not skipped the explanation on how they blue ones worked, but early game only using one sprayer as opposed to a sprayer AND a guppy saves you 2.5 reactors worth of energy- A pretty big difference at that stage.

Anyways, if you're fast enough about building up your economy and offense, you can cut through the top section and loop around just as or preferably before the creeper from the south starts spilling into the middle. take too long, and you'll be in karsten's situation, and likely won't be able to advance through the top.