Custom Map #586: FPS: Anti Up. By: qople

Started by AutoPost, January 20, 2021, 12:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #586: FPS: Anti Up

Author: qople
Size: 320x200

ButterySkank

I'm not sure what's going on with this map, my health drops to 0 in no time, I can get the first "object" but that's about it

Qople

To clear the first area, you need to come back after picking up the sprayer. There's a raised platform in the next room to attack the creeper from while staying safe.

WithersChat

Ok, Part of the controls are painful. Like, VERY painful!
"If the mortar crosshair not lining exactly with the Creeper annoys you, you can turn off smooth Creeper in the game's settings"
Yes, but the mortar is NOT supposed to aim at the Creeper, it's supposed to aim at the cell you're pointing at. The mortar is used to aim at deep Creeper and clean it up, therefore, the crosshair should ignore Creeper, so we can aim where we need, to strategically take off breeder without shooting 3 cells in front of you because of a wave passing by.
Let me quote the "mortar" entry in the wiki:
"]Mortars are the heavy artillery in your armory. They lob shells over a distance in an arc. Height advantage makes them more effective. They always target the deepest Creeper within their target area. Their range and speed can be upgraded globally from the ERN Portal or individually by giving one an ERN. (This last part is specific to the in-game unit)

Mortars mostly ignore elevation changes and line of sight obstructions between them and their target, due to their firing arc. Mortars deal significantly more damage on average than Cannons, at the expense of being relatively poor at dealing with the Creeper frontline. Mortars are more expensive to build and supply than Cannons."

They shoot in an arc, going over any obstacle, and go boom on their targeted cell, no matter what Creeper they encounter in their way. Mortar aim stopping on Creeper makes about as much sense as giving the vanilla mortar a "nearest" target priority IMO

It's still overall a great map, and the addition of the sprayer is great!

There is no signature!

DoomDutch

OKay, this is the most frustrating one so far. I can't even get to the second infocash.

chaotea

"Yes, but the mortar is NOT supposed to aim at the Creeper, it's supposed to aim at the cell you're pointing at. "

I feel its intentional, as it not only allows you to hit creeper from far away at its deepest (as the FoV is so tight you cant see the top of creeper when looking at the floor) but also allows the mapmaker to design without the limitation of needing to have every room slope down.

chaotea

Qople.

Really loving the FPS stuff so far.

Btw, how do you get walls to lower after picking objects up? I cant figgure that out (in editor).

Qople

Quote from: chaotea on January 20, 2021, 04:40:30 PM
how do you get walls to lower after picking objects up? I cant figgure that out (in editor).
The MinX, MaxX, MinZ, and MaxZ parameters give the corners of a rectangle, in which every cell of terrain height 19 gets set to the Height parameter. The next big thing on my to-do list for these levels is to improve mapmaking tools and user friendliness, so that's likely to change.

sky_killer

after playing all of your previous fps maps, i found this one to be most fun and relatively easy, but i guess i am in minority.
Spoiler
in the end the OP sprayer upgrade
[close]
was most satisfying and very fun.

burton5000

Apologies because i know there`s going to be a simple answer.

I dont understand how to do anything in the first area. I`m not spawning with a weapon and the info cache is under creeper so i cant access it. I used 4x speed for 10 minutes to see if i was supposed to wait for something but to no avail.

Cheers for any advice

helmetflakes

Fantastic map Qople, you have been busy and thanks for the autofire option! Really enjoyed this one

sky_killer

Quote from: burton5000 on January 20, 2021, 07:36:13 PM
Apologies because i know there`s going to be a simple answer.

I dont understand how to do anything in the first area. I`m not spawning with a weapon and the info cache is under creeper so i cant access it. I used 4x speed for 10 minutes to see if i was supposed to wait for something but to no avail.

Cheers for any advice

Its likely that you died in creeper. i suggest restart map, then go into fps mode shift+f. You should see a  crosshair..

jtalisman

Quote from: sky_killer on January 21, 2021, 05:28:56 AM
Its likely that you died in creeper. i suggest restart map, then go into fps mode shift+f. You should see a  crosshair..

Nope, I'm having the same problem. I start (or restart) the map, hit play, press shift+f, and there's no crosshair, and clicking does nothing. I tried scrolling and pressing number keys as well since that's apparently how you can change weapons, but that did nothing. I even stand in the creep and nothing seems to happen, it's as if I'm already dead as soon as the map starts. Either way it's completely unplayable.

chaotea

Quote from: Qople on January 20, 2021, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: chaotea on January 20, 2021, 04:40:30 PM
how do you get walls to lower after picking objects up? I cant figgure that out (in editor).
The MinX, MaxX, MinZ, and MaxZ parameters give the corners of a rectangle, in which every cell of terrain height 19 gets set to the Height parameter. The next big thing on my to-do list for these levels is to improve mapmaking tools and user friendliness, so that's likely to change.

That'd be cool. Im a complete noob when it comes to coding and all, but i do want to make some FPS maps. Ive been screwing around with your 4RPL, but the doors and stuff was holding me back.

The stuff you've done here is amazing though. Im looking forward to hashing out something based on your brilliant work. And to think i thought PAC was the only thing to look forward to :D

burton5000

Quote from: jtalisman on January 21, 2021, 09:55:10 AM
Quote from: sky_killer on January 21, 2021, 05:28:56 AM

Nope, I'm having the same problem. I start (or restart) the map, hit play, press shift+f, and there's no crosshair, and clicking does nothing. I tried scrolling and pressing number keys as well since that's apparently how you can change weapons, but that did nothing. I even stand in the creep and nothing seems to happen, it's as if I'm already dead as soon as the map starts. Either way it's completely unplayable.

Yes this is an accurate description. No crosshair from the star, shift+f then shift+r doesnt bring up crosshairs. Restarting doesn`t either. Ive waited up to 15 mins in game time and nothing pops up. Pressed every button on the keyboard as well  :'(