Ruine in 1.79

Started by steelwing, February 07, 2014, 05:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelwing

~X( I could never have imagined Ruine getting MORE frustrating, but somehow it pulled it off.  Pretty sure the build and launch intervals for the spore towers are shorter in this version, and having the creeper spread from those slip emitters in the void that way is really nasty.  Already tried the suggestions from here, I can barely get past the first minute of game time before my base starts drowning in creeper.  There's no WAY I can build reactors fast enough to get enough energy, and I can't get to the spore towers fast enough to kill them.  I know this level has to be beatable somehow, but short of being able to land CNs in the Void, I don't see how.

pawel345

You start by landing 2 CN's on the middle island, build a collector and a siphon. Then build some more collectors, pick up the guppy, and build 3~4 reactors. I had energy output of around 5.2 and that was enough, a guppy to fly around and destroy some spore towers and 3~4 beams to keep the spores form my base.

12345ieee

Pawel started attacking very soon...

Instead I like overbuilding and making sure the enemy is weaker than me before the attack, so after doing basically the same he did I spent an extra minute fortifying my base.
A full spore wave attacked me and my beams could easily handle them.
From here it's easy to nullify them one by one and engage last the 3-4 places that have creeper using 1-2 blasters and mortars.

If you have trouble building your base I suggest to first build collectors one by one, making sure you never waste energy/go into deficit, then, when the island is fully covered in soylent, burn through the energy deposit and get 3-4 reactors.
If you want the maximum energy without any risk build reactors until you get the spore warning, if you have the energy a beam takes less than 40 seconds to build and charge.

EDIT:

I remembered this world had a cool creeper/Anticreeper annichillation effect in void, and in fact loading up my 1.04 version I noticed that now the emitters in void have a different behaviour.
So, as a result, this level is harder in 1.79 than it was in 1.04, and how it is now it's probably not the intended behaviour, as the intro dialog makes much more sense with the old effect, I think Virgil would want to look at this.

knucracker

Yeah.... I broke it.
The fix will be in the upcoming build.  The mission is fine, there is just a small issue in the game involving the UpdateCount CRPL api.

steelwing

Quote from: virgilw on February 07, 2014, 07:42:18 PM
Yeah.... I broke it.
The fix will be in the upcoming build.  The mission is fine, there is just a small issue in the game involving the UpdateCount CRPL api.
Thx, V, I'll try the level again when the new build shows up.

steelwing

Quote from: steelwing on February 09, 2014, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: virgilw on February 07, 2014, 07:42:18 PM
Yeah.... I broke it.
Thx, V, I'll try the level again when the new build shows up.
:D New build fixed it!  Thank you, V!

martingolding96

Quote from: pawel345 on February 07, 2014, 06:23:26 PM
You start by landing 2 CN's on the middle island, build a collector and a siphon. Then build some more collectors, pick up the guppy, and build 3~4 reactors. I had energy output of around 5.2 and that was enough, a guppy to fly around and destroy some spore towers and 3~4 beams to keep the spores form my base.

Nice stratergy i finally beat the map. :)