AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7874: Islands

Author: Jahnan
Size: 256x128

Desc:

Martin Gronsdal

WOW - I loved this map!

Spoiler
was it intentional that the two bottom islands, on the right, are not reachable using the power zones? I also never moved the Command Node, other than to pick things up - and to attack the two islands.
[close]

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on November 18, 2019, 12:05:30 PM
was it intentional that the two bottom islands, on the right, are not reachable using the power zones? I also never moved the Command Node, other than to pick things up - and to attack the two islands.
(un-spoilered, as the are incorrect)
Further right bottom nodes reach them just fine.
Command node never needs to be moved.
Once you have enough power built, and manage to reach the Berthas, its trivial.

The high cost (and initially short supply) of relays makes for a very strategic start.

Nice map, good on the relay ranges (even if they are a bit obvious... maybe make it needed to terp out a spot to hop islands?)

BilboGCL

Love... Hate...
However, this map gives you strong emotions ;) Even a small hobbit gets in rage every now and then ;)
However, hope you never find how to disable the singularity weapon.

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

marvinitfox

Quote from: BilboGCL on November 18, 2019, 08:31:50 PM
However, hope you never find how to disable the singularity weapon.

SIngularity?

Conquest in here is a simple matter of determining the relay points, then sending in multiple waves of cannons to clear creep until the relay connecting the island is built, then very normal takeover.

Needless to say, getting to your forge is a priority, as the packet and build speed upgrades are ridiculously valuable with such expansive relays.

Once you have Berthas, the clearing becomes trivial.

For me, the slowest part by far was that first push to get to the forge.
18 minutes of slow buildup and slogging to get to it!

On this map, the ore mines and guppies are absolute red herrings, neither is useful in the least extent.

BilboGCL

Hi!
There are different ways to play (this) map(s) - For me: After the ridiculous long run for the forge and some aether (How do you do that w/o moving the CN???) , I've set speed to 4x and made fly-by emitter elimination with singularities.
I used "The Flying Cannon Squads" only to clear the creeper from nullifier-island to build the relay. I made use of the guppies to power my forge on base island...

On your point "CN never needs to be moved" : What have I missed - from the original starting point, there is no way to connect to any other island. Neither with the original PZ nor with any other. So I really doubt that.

marvinitfox

Quote from: BilboGCL on November 19, 2019, 08:18:44 AM
On your point "CN never needs to be moved" : What have I missed - from the original starting point, there is no way to connect to any other island. Neither with the original PZ nor with any other. So I really doubt that.

Me, directly after having finally gotten the Forge, at 18m55s

Just about all of the gaps can be bridged by relay from PZ.
Matter of fact, 80% of PZ end up being used for only this :(

BilboGCL

Man, how did I not see that!
Thanks a lot for the screenshot!