Custom Map #377: Mona Creeper

Started by AutoPost, October 27, 2011, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #377: Mona Creeper

Author: mopa42

Desc:
You must defeat the Styglek's artist and scrub the creeper from Da Vinci's famous painting.

burguertime

my oh my, such a patience to draw that one.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

mopa42

Yeah, that was a fun map to make. I came up with some tricks to make making it easier, to the point where it wouldn't be that hard to make another map like it. But I still spent an inordinate amount of time on it.

I'm not any expert on paintings. All the slightly-factual tidbits about the Mona Lisa I got from wikipedia.

By the way, the ground at the bottom is marked so you can dig it optimally, with the 80% model (discussed in this thread).

I got the idea of drawing with creeper from Cotters' Haunted Halloween House and the idea of games based on paintings from UpperKEES' Hard Art CW1 series.

Fisherck

Quote from: mopa42 on October 28, 2011, 12:40:36 AM
Yeah, that was a fun map to make. I came up with some tricks to make making it easier, to the point where it wouldn't be that hard to make another map like it. But I still spent an inordinate amount of time on it.

I'm not any expert on paintings. All the slightly-factual tidbits about the Mona Lisa I got from wikipedia.

By the way, the ground at the bottom is marked so you can dig it optimally, with the 80% model (discussed in this thread).

I got the idea of drawing with creeper from Cotters' Haunted Halloween House and the idea of games based on paintings from UpperKEES' Hard Art CW1 series.

I thought this a very neat idea. I think these could be popular maps. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

DethbyIT

mopa42 - really excellent work on the graphics and concept.
Ready to play more when you can put another one together.

Thanks for a good time.
dbit

MadMag

xing

aattss

DethbyIT

Quote from: aattss on October 30, 2011, 07:43:28 AM
This one is a bit challenging.

Dive for the bottom, dig a shallow pit to escape the Creeper, and start building Reactors.

You will need a couple of Phantom Coils for initial protection.

Ghoti

This map is really fun. Humor was appreciated.

Kithros beat me by 3 freaking minutes. Geez man, how'd you pull 5:43 off?!

Kithros

Quote from: Ghoti on January 03, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
This map is really fun. Humor was appreciated.

Kithros beat me by 3 freaking minutes. Geez man, how'd you pull 5:43 off?!

There is virtually no terrain anywhere, so just rush to the dark beam, then micro the dark beam with mirrors (pointing the beam up) to clear the entire map of creeper in under a minute (after picking up the dark beam). Some small cleanup issues with killing the gateway, picking up artifacts etc. from there. It was 4:42 by the way, not 5:43. It should be possible to get a significantly faster time - but not so easy to get a better score (since I believe I had to wait for the artifacts to be picked up - but it's been a while).

Ghoti

err. I always thought the dark beam only removed the subcells the laser passed through. That makes sense...

Kithros

Quote from: Ghoti on January 04, 2012, 02:56:15 PM
err. I always thought the dark beam only removed the subcells the laser passed through. That makes sense...
The dark beam is actually 1 cell width (not a subcell) - essentially, what I did is have 2 mirrors in a row and then deactivate the mirror closer to the dark beam, then reactivate it after 1 frame, and deactivate it after another frame (this is to account for creeper moving in the frame that it switches over to the other mirror), and then I move the mirror to the other side and repeat, clearing the map one column at a time. There are certain ways to make this a bit faster (ie. with more mirrors and such), but that's the idea behind it.