Upgrading Computer

Started by Blaze, November 02, 2012, 03:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Blaze. Today Newegg has Seasonic 750W at even lower price. Can't link from mobile but its easy to find as Shellshocker deal
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 10, 2013, 02:08:12 PM
Blaze. Today Newegg has Seasonic 750W at even lower price. Can't link from mobile but its easy to find as Shellshocker deal

Found and bookmarked, not sure if we can buy it in time, but I hope so.
If I manage to snag this, I'll be set for a PSU for a good while.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Blaze

MSI Radeon HD 7770 Is now sold out.
I've looked for a bit and I cannot find another that cheap.

Just my luck...

Grauniad

Blaze, I have just finished building a new computer. Here's how I did it.  In January and February I did some research on what I wanted. I decided, for instance, not to wait for the Intel Haswell line of processors, and that I preferred the Intel i5-3750K over the 7-3770K, since the i5 is a better gaming processor and overclocks just as well as the i7 (it does not have hyperthreading, but that does not really justify the price difference).  I also considered the older Extreme processors, but for various reasons decided not to get them.

Between March and Memorial day at the end of May, I then started looking for components. I looked at Newegg mostly, because in general they offer the best deals, but I kept an eye on ncix and tigerdirect as well. Some stuff also sell on ebay, and if it is new, the risk is not too great provided the seller has a good reputation.

I had a list of components and a list of "regular" prices. On some occasions, these sites offer special deals. When the price for a component dropped or there was a special combo offer, I took it. On special days like Memorial day, and again on the 4th of July, thee sites offer even greater and more aggressive discounts.

I got a good deal on the same MSI HD 7770 back in April, as well as the 650W Seasonic.  I got my case in March, hard drives in April for $84 (on Memorial day there was a better deal for $65, but I already bought). Sometimes I also got rebates, some of which are still being processed.  Finally I bought a motherboard, CPU and memory during the memorial day sale. The motherboard had a discount and also came with 1 8GB memory module free - so I bought 3 more matching modules and effectively got the memory for 75% off.  The processor was discounted by $30. the DVD burner was on special for $14. Ultimately, I build a top-end good, quiet, water-cooled gaming computer for <$1,000 before factoring in the rebates.

Moral of the story, plan your build, get your money lined up and then wait and the prices will come by again. If you can get a case and power supply now, you can start moving your components into the new case and be in good shape to stick the graphics card in when it becomes available. If I were you I'd check Newegg's specials on a daily basis and hold out for the 4th of July sales as a last resort.

Edit: Just checked and NCIX has the FXF HD 7770 for $90 after discounts and rebates.  Since the price is over a $100 you will also get free shipping, which saves a few $.  FXF is a very reputable graphics card manufacturer.

Blaze

Thanks for that advice, this is my first time buying parts for an upgrade so it's very helpful.
As well as thank you for that link, my main worry was finding a card in that price range from a good manufacturer.

Grauniad

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 12, 2013, 05:24:11 PM
If you are still looking, here is a $50 (after rebate) power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-17-139-028-_-Product

Because of the need for a new tower to avoid the risk of heat issues, I've went for this power supply, since it's much cheaper and does what I need.
Thank you anyways, pretty much settled on everything, just waiting for when we can afford it. :D

Grauniad

Good job. Lepa has a reasonable reputation, I remember looking into them back in 2010 when I was building a rig.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 12, 2013, 06:28:44 PM
Good job. Lepa has a reasonable reputation, I remember looking into them back in 2010 when I was building a rig.

All of the reviews say really good things too, the only "cons" they put are minor things that won't be an issue for me.

Grauniad

I know you have already bought, but this is what I mean when I say patience pays off when assembling components for a PC.

The 430W Corsair PSU is now on sale for $20 after rebate since a newer model is on the market.

Any buying spree should be over a few months and should include one of the American (marketing) holidays such as Memorial day, 4th of July,  Fathers' Day, Labor day, and of course, the biggest is Thanksgiving. Deals are usually incredible around then and it's easy to save $100 or more on building your dream PC.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 15, 2013, 08:14:17 AM
I know you have already bought, but this is what I mean when I say patience pays off when assembling components for a PC.

The 430W Corsair PSU is now on sale for $20 after rebate since a newer model is on the market.

Any buying spree should be over a few months and should include one of the American (marketing) holidays such as Memorial day, 4th of July,  Fathers' Day, Labor day, and of course, the biggest is Thanksgiving. Deals are usually incredible around then and it's easy to save $100 or more on building your dream PC.

The 4th of july is coming up, despite wanting it all now, I suppose it would be best if I waited until then to buy, huh?

Grauniad

I would set a cut-off date right after a holiday. SO ye, either this weekend or 4th of July. Depending on how patient you are.  Sometimes deals comes, sometimes they go. It's a tricky thing to decide.  I have not seen many deals on the Radeon HD 7770 lately, so I don't now on that one.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 15, 2013, 01:15:00 PM
I would set a cut-off date right after a holiday. SO ye, either this weekend or 4th of July. Depending on how patient you are.  Sometimes deals comes, sometimes they go. It's a tricky thing to decide.  I have not seen many deals on the Radeon HD 7770 lately, so I don't now on that one.

On one hand, saving money is always a good thing.
On the other hand, I recently got a game that I can't even run properly.

It's one I've been waiting on for awhile now too, I can run it but only at 8-15 fps and it's odd.
Like it alternates between slow and fast and gives off this choppy feel.

I'll probably hold until the fourth, though.
I've got other games to play while I wait.

Grauniad

Are you holding out for the video card? I assume you bought the case and power supply? I think if you can get it for your target price you should buy it. From everything I've seen, the HD 7770  prices are increasing.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on June 15, 2013, 03:32:09 PM
Are you holding out for the video card? I assume you bought the case and power supply? I think if you can get it for your target price you should buy it. From everything I've seen, the HD 7770  prices are increasing.

Haven't yet bought anything, my dad wants me to have stuff to open on my birthday. :-\

Told him if it's that important he can buy me a candy bar to open.
He then walked inside and came back out with one, tossed it into me lap, then said I'm halfway there. :D