packet controll

Started by bikkethepirate, July 30, 2011, 10:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikkethepirate

like in CW 1, id like to be able to turn off construction packets when i have to in CW2

same for ammo packets if for some reason i want to turn that off.

J

All buildings have a deactivate button now (exept conversion bombs - Please give them V) and there are no totems.
It's still a good idea, but where do you want to put them on the LS?

thepenguin

voila!
We have become the creeper...

J

Quote from: thepenguin on July 31, 2011, 07:11:58 AM
voila!
I think the buttons are a bit too small

The only 'new' thing it gives is that you can stop sending dig packets whiteout destroying the packets that haven't arrived yet.

Kithros

For me, I don't think needing to add anything onto the LS would be necessary - I would ideally have a way to mark terrain without actually digging through it so you can plan out your layout more easily - perhaps having it double as a mode where it would let the remaining packets keep travelling to the dig site, but stop sending any more packets. As far as build packets go, that is needless because you can deactivate buildings while they're under construction effectively doing the same thing. For weapons it could make do with having a mode on weapons that allows them to keep firing without requesting any extra packets - essentially the same thing but can be controlled on a more precise scale (only effects specific weapons rather than needing to choose for all weapons).

bikkethepirate

Quote from: Kithros on July 31, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
For me, I don't think needing to add anything onto the LS would be necessary - I would ideally have a way to mark terrain without actually digging through it so you can plan out your layout more easily - perhaps having it double as a mode where it would let the remaining packets keep travelling to the dig site, but stop sending any more packets. As far as build packets go, that is needless because you can deactivate buildings while they're under construction effectively doing the same thing. For weapons it could make do with having a mode on weapons that allows them to keep firing without requesting any extra packets - essentially the same thing but can be controlled on a more precise scale (only effects specific weapons rather than needing to choose for all weapons).

well, i was thinking of putting it as menu options when you click on the LS, since it currently has none when you click it.

for digging packets, perhaps for marking (if you want to dig in one area while planning in another area) you could click ounce for a normal marker, second click would change the mark to another color or shape so you can tell the difference and have it stop more packet from being made but keep the ones already out  coming to the site, then the third click would unmark the terrain entirely. if you want to stop making dig packets altogether, you could pick that option at the LS, so why not have both?

for build packets, same thing can be said for a lot of the buildings in CW1 for just deactivating to stop building. for something like you built too many reactors at ounce in CW 2, temporarily stoping all building can be a heck of a time saver on your RL end as a way to finish building the cheap power plants.

for ammo packets, i say thats a good idea, but why not have both? so same with build packets, might save some time.

jasvinderm

hmmm, In the first game I considered this needed to improve the gameplay (and times) by a reasonable enough amount. However in CW2 i just feel that it may be overkill of control? The reasons it was there in the first game was efficiency (not having to disactivate loooads of buildings then reactivate just because you drifted into deficit), To stop map makers draining the initial energy with totems but also stopping the game from ending before you finished having your 'fun'. This isnt a problem in CW2. And also if you crazily overbuilt so that your weapons had a net depletion on their ammo resulting in the creeper overpowering. Meaning you could still use it to make sure there was no risk of you being defeated in a stonghold you created.

Yet i'm starting to see threads saying that after you've completed the first part of the map (getting your energy set up and defence) there is no real risk, and if there was well this suggestion would nearly remove all of it (the only risk left i think is building in time for drone attacks if this gets put in). So as i said in the first game there were multiple aspects it could improve, yet in CW2 i believe maybe it could take away the full impact of energy management and risk of it, and as the energy micromanagement is a lot easier and simpler to control in CW2 i dont think this will be necessary, or might even devalue the experience (as you could argue experimental's can sometimes do).

If it does get put in clicking on the LS for the options would not agree with virgil (i think) as in the original idea thread for CW i believe he stated that players may forget and then not know why packets were not getting sent, possibly ruining a game. Lights or some notifying would have to be on show.

Overall I'm against the idea as i don't think its worth it, but as its only an option it wouldn't matter to me if it was put into the game
Signed...Me :)

Ebon Heart

it isn't worth it, and packet control likely won't be a feature in cw2. The only use it could possibly have in cw2 is controlling dig packets. The reason it was needed in cw1 was that you couldn't deactivate buildings you were building, where as you can in cw2... and in cw2, you can mass select units to deactivate/disarm, so there's really no point.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

BoostBreed75

This goes along the lines of packet control but maybe a way to turn off gem consumption and or turn it back on when you wanted to slash needed it.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: J on July 31, 2011, 06:00:51 AM
(exept conversion bombs - Please give them V)
A bit of a thread hijack but I didn't want to open a new topic for it. With some of the harder maps it is almost surely impossible to survive without conversion bombs. However, as their construction can't be paused, one sometimes ends up wasting packets as both building the CB wholly and waiting to begin building it result in losing the map... A deactivation button would be greatly appreciated.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

mthw2vc

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 13, 2011, 06:12:31 AM
A bit of a thread hijack but I didn't want to open a new topic for it. With some of the harder maps it is almost surely impossible to survive without conversion bombs. However, as their construction can't be paused, one sometimes ends up wasting packets as both building the CB wholly and waiting to begin building it result in losing the map... A deactivation button would be greatly appreciated.
You can deactivate Conversion bombs on any release with code maps where you might need to... Pause, lay down another weapon, select the weapon then the conversion bomb with multiselect, then use the weapon's deactivate button. You can also disarm C-bombs, but that doesn't do anything ;)

Lord_Farin

Quote from: mthw2vc on August 13, 2011, 09:02:53 AM
Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 13, 2011, 06:12:31 AM
You can deactivate Conversion bombs on any release with code maps where you might need to... Pause, lay down another weapon, select the weapon then the conversion bomb with multiselect, then use the weapon's deactivate button. You can also disarm C-bombs, but that doesn't do anything ;)
The fact that this workaround is possible signifies once again that the deactivation button on CBs should be added. In the meantime, thanks for the tip  ;)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

scoin

Quote from: Kithros on July 31, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
to an extent i agree with you id say just put the bottons at the top of the ship and orbs like the odin city in CW1 but what i dont agree on is not needing the buttons to turn off ammo and building packets you can of course turn them off manually but that takes so long and you have to pause the game to do it without taking any risks of losing what you already have

thepenguin

right-click + drag to mark for digging/plan, but not actually dig :), :P who'd've guessed
We have become the creeper...