Custom Map #567: Stairway to Heaven

Started by AutoPost, December 15, 2011, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmileyCoder

Quote from: MadMurphy on December 17, 2011, 05:21:34 PM
I would think It would have to do with digging under those tough emitters instead of dealing with shields.

EDIT: Link to video

I see, you managed to find a way to let the AC out early. Im guessing the shields tricked a bomber drone down there. I had actually anticipated this, and figured the AC would destroy the microrift, causing you to be unable to dig out. I had not foreseen that you would create a second rift down there.

The whole reason for the dense creeper outside is to prevent the user from digging prematurely. I didn't have it initially which resulted in the digging gateway sending a packet through the gateway, and digging from the "outside". I wanted to force the player to go to the top, follow the storyline, and then the release of the AC is intended to make for a quick(er) cleanup. I realised to late that I had made some flaws in the design of the anti-creeper field, so it left a dense amount of creeper behind near the gateway.

Thank you all for your comments. It makes it alot more satisfying to create a map, when I see there is such an interest in debating it afterwards.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

MadMurphy

Quote from: SmileyCoder on December 17, 2011, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: MadMurphy on December 17, 2011, 05:21:34 PM
I would think It would have to do with digging under those tough emitters instead of dealing with shields.

EDIT: Link to video

I see, you managed to find a way to let the AC out early. Im guessing the shields tricked a bomber drone down there. I had actually anticipated this, and figured the AC would destroy the microrift, causing you to be unable to dig out. I had not foreseen that you would create a second rift down there.

The whole reason for the dense creeper outside is to prevent the user from digging prematurely. I didn't have it initially which resulted in the digging gateway sending a packet through the gateway, and digging from the "outside". I wanted to force the player to go to the top, follow the storyline, and then the release of the AC is intended to make for a quick(er) cleanup. I realised to late that I had made some flaws in the design of the anti-creeper field, so it left a dense amount of creeper behind near the gateway.

Thank you all for your comments. It makes it alot more satisfying to create a map, when I see there is such an interest in debating it afterwards.

I just added an annotation to the video explaining what happened at that point.

It wasn't a drone that flew in and released it. It was the density of the Anti-Creeper, It seems to be undocumented but once the creeper becomes so dense it toggles between AC and normal Creeper. That is why I used the shields there to force it into one cell.

fitz

I have the top score for now. It's rather underserved so many thanks to Kithros and MadMurphy for telling me how to do it and of course to SmileyCoder for providing such a demanding and fascinating map.

Kithros

Quote from: fitz on December 18, 2011, 12:19:03 PM
I have the top score for now. It's rather underserved so many thanks to Kithros and MadMurphy for telling me how to do it and of course to SmileyCoder for providing such a demanding and fascinating map.

And now you don't have it anymore :P

fitz

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrggghhhh, I guess that's no more than I deserve. I shall have to have a good think before trying again.

Oh, well done by the way  :-\ (not that I'm competitive or anything like that)

MadMurphy

The map is challenging either way it is played. I would say if you want sub 20min time you need to use the shields to direct the flow for 2 of the emitters though.

DethbyIT

"11 min 44.2 sec"!

I was just happy to survive long enough to finish it.
Will have to add this to the list of do-overs.
Great work - creating and of the players.
dbit

Eliazara

I don't know why this has so many thumb downs, I thought this was a very challenging level. I think it took me 3-4 tries to figure out what to do and when. I personally like a good unique challenge, so it got a thumbs up from me!! Keep making them :)