Main Menu

Download Maps

Started by Apocalypstic, November 15, 2009, 03:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypstic

How do you play maps you've downloaded? I downloaded The Cascades, but I'm not exactly sure on how to play it...
Look over here! Is it a word?! Is it a sentence?! No! It's a distraction!

knucracker

Make sure you have the latest version on the game installed ( http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/patches.php ).  If you do, the main menu will have a "Custom Maps" button.  Just click this to go into the custom maps area.  In there is a button called "Import Custom Game".  Click this and then find the .cwm file that you downloaded.  This will load the map into the game and it will show up in the custom map list where you can click on it to play it.

Apocalypstic

Strange...I have the newest version of the game, yet I see no Custom Maps option...

knucracker

On the main menu there is a little version in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  What number do you have there?
Also note that you have to have the full version of the game to play the custom maps.  The training sim and the demo don't support custom maps.

Btw, did you find your key?

Apocalypstic

Yes, I did manage to find my key...after cleaning up my mess of a desk area. At any rate, in the lower right hand corner it says Ver: 0272. I could send a screen shot if you'd like.

knucracker

Well that's got me stumped.  Yeah, email me a screen shot of the main menu. (support at knucklecracker dot com)
Btw, did you install the patch or did you get the latest version when you purchased?  Also, are you on windows or mac?

Apocalypstic

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/Apocalypstic/?action=view&current=CreeperWorld.jpg-Theres the link to the picture. If you zoom in on the corner, you can see it say Ver: 0272. I installed the patch, and I'm on a windows.

knucracker

Hmmm.
The screenshot is from version 184, not 272.... but it says it is from 272.  There are other changes in 272, like the "How to Play" button is lower.  And there is an option to mute the music on the menu screens, and of course the Custom Maps button.  This screenshot you sent looks just like version 184, except for the version number.

All I can say is to download the patch again ( http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/patches.php ) and run it.  What is in that patch is definitely different than what you are running so it will prompt you to replace it.  Just say OK, and it will install.

Btw, what date did you purchase the game on?  I can tell what version you downloaded during purchase by knowing the date.

Thanks.

Apocalypstic

I'm sorry to say, but re-downloading the patch didn't help. Ah well, the Map Editor wasn't such an important feature anyways. I'm not really sure when the game was bought, seeing as my mother gave it to me, and she got it from her friend.

Apocalypstic

*Sighs* Well, I've beaten all the spec-ops, the campaign, and the conquest missions...and a few maps on DD, and now I realize how great it would be if I could play more maps. So sad, so sad...so I was wondering, though this request probably won't be granted, can you send me an email of the full installation and see if I re-download it will it work?  ???

knucracker

I've just mailed you.... Just follow up with me in email.

Kamron3

Unfortunately, I am having the same error. I've been trying to fix it by uninstalling everything and then re-installing the game. Then the patch.
Load up the game and it shows the latest Vers. number, but no updates.

What's happening?

Aurzel

i know this might sound stupid but, did you uninstall the demo? it might be interfering

knucracker

So let me vent here for a second and relay a common story:
---Venting ON---
The updated version of the game replaces the older version.  In particular it replaces the xml file and the main.swf file.  The version number is in the xml file.  The new game is all in the main.swf file.  Now lots of people have the old version because they got it off bittorrent, or a warez site (good luck with that btw... hope you have your virus software up to date).  These folks replace the main.swf in the original version with the cracked version.

Later, they decide they like the game and want to play with some custom maps.  This requires the updated version of the game.  So they install the patch.  At this point either the original main.swf file never gets replaced because they tampered with it to start with, or after installing the patch they run the game and discover that low and behold.... it is telling them they needed a key (the patched version isn't cracked, naturally).  So in their wisdom they replace the main.swf with the cracked version.... but this put the "old" version of the game back!.  The version still shows 0272 since the xml file that contains the version number got updated.

So why does this bother me?  Is it because somebody pirated the game.  Nope.... I know the realities of PC games.  I think it is a shame, but I don't waste time barking at the moon.  What does bother me is that I get mail from these people all of the time with them pretending to have purchased the game and wanting me to fix their piracy induced problems.  This takes my time... which is time I am not spending updating the game, reviewing maps, or handling any legit support concerns.
---Venting OFF---

Anyway, I'm sure these problems don't fall into this category.  I just had to vent there for a bit since I spend so much time with these things. 

So all you have to do to get operational is uninstall the game.  Then navigate to the install directory (program files/knuckle cracker/Creeper World on windows) and make sure that directory is gone and or empty.  Make sure no files are left there.  Then install the patch....  You will be all set at that point.  The key that was entered when you first played the game is stored elsewhere (along with your game progress) and is never removed even when you uninstall the game.  So you can install the patch and be ok. 

Let me know how this goes...

Kamron3